Changing coins to Notes

machalla

This may be the wrong forum to ask this question so move it if it is.

I have a fairly large number of coins (3 large jar fulls) that I want to change into notes or lodge to a current account.

As I understand it the banks will charge a fairly high commision to do this and I'm not even sure most of them will accept that amount of coins at a counter anyway. I don't mind paying a commision as long as its not too high (above say 8%).

In the past I would have called into local shopkeepers to offer them the coins as it would save them getting coins from the banks but thats not an option at the moment.

Thanks for any helpful suggestions.

Banks will generally take relatively small amounts of coin from individuals without charge. First call into the bank and get the relevant coin bogs which you must use to bag the coin before taking it to the Bank.

I used to get bags from the bank, the last time I did this was with old money i.e. a bag would be labelled '1£ in 1p coins'. The bank can check the weight of these and offer notes accordingly or lodge to an account. Not aware they charge for this, it is afterall still legal tender (priovided of course it is € coins you're talking about!). Might be woprthwhile giving your local bank a call.

I have lodged large amounts of bagged coins to my personal PTSB account without any charges being applied. If you are talking about IR£ coins then bring them to the Central Bank for exchange into €s.

My local SuperValu has a machine in the shop lobby which takes coin and prints a voucher to use inside the shop - there is a "service charge" but I'm not sure what it is.
For your info, EBS don't take coin even when lodging to an account. I generally change the contents of my piggybank in Bank of Ireland (having bagged it first) with no charge and no difficulty - and I'm not a B of I customer.

My local SuperValu has a machine in the shop lobby which takes coin and prints a voucher to use inside the shop - there is a "service charge" but I'm not sure what it is.
Those machines can charge as much as 12%! Avoid in my opinion.

I go with Rainydays suggestion from a similar thread a while back . . . go along to the self service tills in Tesco (or equivalent) with a stash of coins, buy some milk or something and feed the machine.

I have now learned not to go at night when the coin trays are mostly full. Going in the morning means there is plenty of room in the coin trays.

In principle I will not use those machines in convenience stores.

z

Thanks for the help. I will see if BOI try to charge for changing the coins (the local bank is BOI). I would expect they shouldn't based on what other people have said. If not I will try some other bank.

Thats an interesting suggestion about the Tesco self-service too zag.

Have lodged coint o my own account on numerous occasions ...up to €500 euro....no charge.

I bought two dog licences with coins today in my local post office. The coins were 20c,10c & 5 c. I had them in coin bags. I gave in €30 (3 Bags) and was given €4.60 in change. I think shops have to take coins as they are legal tender but it is best to have them in the bank bags.

if you are a member of your local credit union (or get someome that is), you don't even have to count the money. you just bag the different coins seperately ie. €2 in one bag, €1 in another, 50 cents in another etc.
they will weigh the bags and give you back notes with no charge.

i got over €200 in rubbish coins exchanged last saturday - no problem

I think shops have to take coins as they are legal tender
No
Legal tender in the Republic of Ireland

According to the Economic and Monetary Union Act, 1998 of the Republic of Ireland which replaced the legal tender provisions that had been re-enacted in Irish legislation from previous British enactments, No person, other than the Central Bank of Ireland and such persons as may be designated by the Minister by order, shall be obliged to accept more than 50 coins denominated in euro or in cent in any single transaction.

Normally BOI will take coin as long as it's bagged - full bags preferably.

If it's not being lodged to an a/c we're supposed to charge 2% commission. If you're considerate & call in sometime mid-week when the queues aren't out the door the cashier probably won't charge you.

Don't bother trying to lodge unbagged coins. It's hassle and most banks will charge you if they accept them at all. Bag them first (full bags only) beforehand.

If it's not being lodged to an a/c we're supposed to charge 2% commission.

Does that mean that BOI have been giving me something for nothing?? :D

I do tend to call at a quiet time, wouldn't have more than approx €70 or so at any given time and it's all bagged.

I think those machines in places like Supervale charge 9% commission. Handy as you dont have to go and sort out all your coins and bag them but expensive

Thanks again for the information.

Maybe an idea for some of the more progressive banks might be to have a coin sorter in branch available to customers to count them up and lodge directly to an account. I imagine a lot of people have coins floating around the house or may have gathered them from charity events or the like.

Why not simply spend the coins?

Pay for a newspaper, milk, a pint here and there, and in no time all the coins will be gone.

Back