Estates in Glasnevin

S

sherman

Am looking at houses in Glasnevin at the moment, up to about €350-370k.

I really like the area around the Botanical Gardens, but obviously that is a bit out of my price range! Not being from the area, I'm unfamiliar with the rest of Glasnevin - is there a difference between Glasnevin, Dublin 9 and Glasnevin, Dublin 11 for example?

Any feedback as to desirable areas would be appreciated - I'd be willing to stretch to get a run-down house in a better part and spend the next few years doing it up as funds allow.

Thanks.

Hi Sherman,

I live in Glasnevin, it's a pretty good spot alright.

"is there a difference between Glasnevin, Dublin 9 and Glasnevin, Dublin 11 for example?" yes a significant difference, not in the people but in the price you can expect to pay... agents put this anywhere between 10-30% depending on what part of Dublin 111 you are comparing to.

"Any feedback as to desirable areas would be appreciated - I'd be willing to stretch to get a run-down house in a better part and spend the next few years doing it up as funds allow." If I were starting out again I would go for that run down option too. Within Dublin 9 there are significant variances in prices levels too. I did contribute to some questions towards the end of last year on the topic of Mobhi Road but the search engine can't find it (awful search engine on AAM).

If you like to be more precise where you are looking in Glasnevin I can post more details but the price range indicated would be very much at the lower end.

Generally prices in Glasnevin would have outperformed the 2nd hand Dublin market over the past 5-10 years mainly because of the range of facilities and accessto city / airport and M50.

Best of luck
Roy

Hi Roy, thanks for your feedback.

I'm looking all over at the moment, but there seems to be nice houses in my budget off Ballygall Road East - e.g. Claremont Drive. Also am looking at a few houses around Wadelai Road and at one on Violet Hill Road.

Any pointers/opinions you have would be appreciate Roy.

Thanks again.

Hi Sherman,

Yep Ballygall Road is a pretty good spot. Plenty of shops, good bus routes and very near the Botanical Gardens which is a lovely place for a stroll.

Wadelai similarly has all the above a little further away from the Botanic Gardens but has the advantage of being very close to Albert College Park which is a gem of a facility. Has footie pitches, great place to bring the dog (see you there) and a relatively new playground which is excellent.

Close by to both you have DCU - you are 5 minutes from the M50, you are 10 mins from the OMNI centre if you don't want to go into town and because of the M50 you can hit the Blanch centre handily. You can be in the airport in 15 minutes.

You also have restos eg. The Washerwoman in Glasnevin, a good Indian, a thai, a chinese and a good Italian in Drumcondra. You also get to go to Tolka Park enery 2nd Friday to support the League Champions. Oh there a very nice cafe called Andersons which you should try on The Rise
(please don't park on my grass verges though :)

All in all a good deal to recommend the general area but as I said earlier I would be inclined to stay as close as possible to the Botanic Gardens end or alternatively in the direction of Griffith Ave. The closer you go the more prices would rise but if you pick up a place needing work it will pay dividends in the long run.

Best of luck
Roy

Re: Glasnevin D9 vs D11

The main difference between Glasnevin D9 and Glasnevin D11 is that Glasnevin IS in Dublin 9. The parts of "Glasnevin" that are in D11 are actually in Ballymun and Finglas.

But there's nothing wrong with Ballyer or Finglas anyway.

Re: Glasnevin D9 vs D11

Glasnevin's a great spot...bit biased hailing from the area though...

Glasnevin streches up towards whitworth road, bordering phibsborough and drumcondra also...

If you can't afford near the botanic gardens, I'd recommend anywhere around tolka park also...you should be able to get something in your price range as there is a great variety of housing in the area.

anywhere really is a good bet in glasnevin...everywhere's close to town and this is a great plus...forget about getting the nitelink ever again when you get a taxi home for little over a fiver.

though some parts of ballymun I believe were incorporated into glasnevin in recent times...I hear stories of the renaming of Ballymun Ave to Glasnevin Ave...but I can't remember when...

well established areas...so you'll know what the particular neighbourhood is like by having just having a good look around it.

Re: Bellevue Cottages, Glasnevin?

if it is this one number 3
[broken link removed]

I drive up that road every day.

That house went on sale last year around october
it was taken off the market in may\june this year
because I assume it didn't sell.

The price earlier this year was 340k.

I couldn't believe it when i checked the price again and it
is now forsale at 425k.

I think the price was 430 when I checked it originally
so they might have dropped it by 5k.

If this is the house you are looking at,
ask the agent was it forsale before and didn't sell,
He probably said house has been on the market since Octber
but neglected to say it was taken off the market a few months
before that because it couldn't sell.

Also at 340k I thought the house was a good buy and was curious
why it didn't sell.

Yes I remember that was up for sale some time back.

More recently there was a very nice on (but think it was only 2 bed) on the other side of teh road back towards Glasnevin (green hall door) on the market for ages. They were quoting 385 and I was surprised that months later they still were under 400k. Nice road!

Roy

Back