Primetime "Till debt do us part" and single mothers

nelly

.... I also thougth how pathetic these single mothers were, trying to cope and not a sniff of a father to be heard of.
.....The other thing that stuck out was - why go shopping with 3 children when you have no money?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: "Till debt do us part" - Primetime. was "Survey on people in debt"

how pathetic these single mothers were
Cheers....just what one parent families need...yet more insults.

Did you know that 72% of one parent families are headed up by parents who were married, of those 40% were widowed? (Figures from 2002 census).
why go shopping with 3 children
What do you expect a lone parent to do with their children....leave them at home to fend for themselves?

Re: "Till debt do us part" - Primetime. was "Survey on people in debt"

No no , i ment it was pathetic to see that the girls get left struggling to carry the can and having to resort to money lenders, the fellas just seem to be able to wander off into the sunset and leave their children to the state and their mothers, my use of the word pathetic was not as an insult.

when i was scraping together a deposit the first thimg i did was stop shopping and teasing myself going to shopping centres with no money - so my point was why bring children to shops and tease them with the Nike and brats and what have you? That was the point.

I had written quite a detailed reply on the difficulties of getting child maintenance and why many lone parents give up pursuing the non-resident parent, unfortunately the login facility timed out and I just hadn't the heart or time to re-do it.

Suffice it to say that obtaining child maintenance is left as the responsibility of the primary care giver; even when a court order has been obtained it is up to the claimant to pursue for non-payment. Garnishee orders are most effective but courts are reluctant to make such orders.

The simple solution is a % of income, deducted at source (like tax, prsi, health levies etc.,) and paid to the primary carer.

A whole new avenue of law is opening up or maybe it has been there all along (I just hadn't heard of it) whereby children of parents who did not provide for their upkeep during childhood have a claim on the estate of the parent after their death. Children who were maintained within the family home or who received maintenance are not entitled to make such a claim.

Back