Removing blue tack from walls

cms

We've just moved into our new (second hand) house. Its in great decorative order except for the downstairs loo which was covered in beer mats and is now covered in blue tack marks. We want to repaint it but how do I remove the remenants of blue tack before we paint? It seems to be just paint over plaster, there's no wall paper. Would a steamer work? Or a sander?
Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Warm a new piece of blue tack in your hands and when warm use this to remove the old blue tack. This will work for bigger pieces but it depends how bad the walls are.

You will have to use some sort of solvent to remove the remainder of the blue tack or the paint will not adhere to the wall in those spots. You could try vodka or nail polish remover. Use sugar soap afterwards to prepare the old surface for the new paint.

I always thought that blu tack would remove blutack, if you know what I mean? If there are a lot of residues that won't shift try white spirit which should remove it. If you feel there will be problems with it bleeding through the paint (try a test patch) spot prime the affected areas with a good stain blocker, such as Dulux Sealapore Alkali Resistant Primer (although any oil based undercoat would also do the job)

I can't vouch for this personally, but try WD-40. It is one of the recommended
uses.

Check out http://www.wd40.com/ for the official list of 2000 uses for WD-40.

Last edited by a moderator:
But won't the WD40 leave an oily residue that will resist painting with conventional water based emulsions.

Back