Can extension leads be used long-term?

Ceepee

Our 1930s house was re-wired by the previous owners, but there are very few sockets around the house. In most of the rooms (excluding the kitchen), there are only one or two sockets, so we have four- and six-socket extension leads everywhere which are in permanent use for various different appliances. Obviously this is unsightly, and we have rugs and masking tape around the place to avoid accidental trips - but from an electrical point of view, is there anything inherently unsafe in using multi-socket extension leads on an ongoing basis?

..im not electrician - but I was told once that a coil'ed extention lead should be fully unwound if using for long periods ..something about the the current going round in a coil similar to old bar-heaters, might overheat / catch fire !

In saying that Im sure the short ones used on computers / tvs etc all over the country are not bursting into flames ! ... but I generally unroll the coiled ones fully when using for long periods....then again might have been a dream .....but so far so good !

..im not electrician - but I was told once that a coil'ed extention lead should be fully unwound if using for long periods ..something about the the current going round in a coil similar to old bar-heaters, might overheat / catch fire !

In saying that Im sure the short ones used on computers / tvs etc all over the country are not bursting into flames ! ... but I generally unroll the coiled ones fully when using for long periods....then again might have been a dream .....but so far so good !

You're spot on there amcs...

Ceepee, take the above advice on board and you should be fine. Maybe try to get extension leads made to the length you require to keep things tidy

Last edited:
All socket circuits should be protected by an ELCB(Earth leakage circuit breaker) which will trip if any wire is earthed. This is far safer than an old type fuse especially if you are using extension leads.
Check your elec. board to see if there is one fitted. One should also be fitted to the feed to an electric shower.
This device compares the current going out the live wire to the current returning on the neutral and if there is a difference of a few milliamps it will trip as the current will be going to earth somewhere.
An old style fuse will only blow after you have been electrocuted.

An elcb should be fitted if you are using extension leads.

I'm not an electrician but thats my advice. Hope it helps

leads are always dangerous and are only a very temporary fix. U can buy sockets that can be wired to a single outlet but have more than 2 outlets, up to 6 I think, could be more. the idea is you take off the single socket and replace it with a multiple socket. Do this and you'll be surprised how few leads you will need. Go to an electrical store and ask about the multiple sockets.

Use of an adapter is safer than leads.

Best of all call in an electricain, ask his advice, get a new consumer unit fitted as well if it is needed. Not as dear as you think. Look at it this way, cost 800 euros but you live 20 more years, cheap at the price.

Electricty kills.

noah

Back