Average wage in Ireland

suziesu

Hi

Just wondering what the average wage in Ireland today is? With the rising house prices etc. it is surprising anyone can afford anything, so I was wondering what the average wage is?

Thanks!

Have you tried checking the CSO [broken link removed] they have a range of earnings figures. They seem to be classified by sector though, I'm not sure if they do an overall average for Ireland

My OH managed to dig the figure out - 32K is average wage - average household income is 38K. You are right, the CSO has the wages by sector.

Diziet

My OH managed to dig the figure out - 32K is average wage - average household income is 38K.

That sounds like the average INDUSTRIAL wage.

For example, in the Public Sector the average Garda earns about €50-55k after Overtime, and retire at 55 (i think).

In general, the average Civil servants earn more that the average industrial wage, and have better job security. The down-side is that you could be doing the same job for 30 years, on basically the same pay.

e.g. A teacher with 25 years experience might be earning 55-60k (unconfirmed); there is rarely any change, and its only in small increments. The advantage is that the salaries starting point is quite high, and you can NEVER be fired; even if you are the single worst teacher on gods green earth :eek:)

In the private sector (non-industrial), you could earn the 60k after a few years (maybe 5 years), and keep moving upwards from there; but with less job security.

re civil servants: would anyone like to be on exact same salary for their working life? lots of civil servants are - the problem is when you're a lowgrade civil servant....no wonder inertia and demotivation set in...

and civil servants can now be fired - the legislation has changed...haven't heard of any cases under that legislation tho...

Back