Key Post: Where to buy a good PDA?

M

Marion

I'm looking to buy a PDA - probably compaq, but I'm open to suggestions. Where's the best place to get one ineither the UK or Ireland?

PDA's

www.buyandsell.net is a good starting point for a 2nd hand one.
Other than that look in the Independent any day and you'll see Dixons, Currys and CompuWorld(?) latest offerings.
Argos will have some of the lower model I suspect.

<!--EZCODE ITALIC START--> Edited by ClubMan to fix link<!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->

PDA's

Also, any model of the Compaq iPAQ is the one to buy (now called the HP iPAQ I think). Always check the manufacturers website for the most up to date product rather than trusting what's in stores nationwide. I have often seen products that are up to a year old been sold as the top current model !
Microsoft's PocketPC is the OS for the iPAQ and looks set to continue stealing market share from Palm et al and so is a good bet in future proofing your investment as best as is possible.

Re: PDA's

[broken link removed] is a good source of general information, reviews etc.

Re: PocketPC

Worth geting on to O2 and trying them for one, I had one of their XDA's on trial and seemed to be good and had obviously was a phone,as well. I think they are around €700 but I think that u can bargain them down somewhat.

Re: PocketPC

For what it's worth, the SBPost recently [broken link removed] the XDA.

Brand New! Palm M515 for sale

Hi all

I have a brand new Palm M515 for sale. I got this just before Christmas but a week later the Palm Tungsten came out (hmmm Tungsten). I weaken on a trip to the US and got the Palm Tungsten so this Palm M515 has only been out of the box to set-up and also to install over 50 personal applications (games, productively apps, etc). My loss is your gain. Excellent PDA with very high res screen. Comes with everything including the box and manuals €320. Feel free to contact me with any questions. Here’s a few spec which may help:
• Bright and easy-to-read TFT colour screen with support for over 65,000 colours
• Built-in 16 MB memory stores thousands of contacts, appointments, to-do items, and notes
• Expandable via Secure Digital and MultiMedia cards--add memory, applications, and content
• Features Palm OS 4.1, USB cradle, rechargeable battery, and add-on applications
• Windows and Macintosh compatible--includes desktop software for both platforms
• FULLY BOXED WITH ALL MANUALS !
• LOT OF THIRD PARTY APP ALREADY INSTALLED AND ON DISK!

Best regards,

Re: Brand New! Palm M515 for sale

[broken link removed] are selling brand new Palm M515s for €275 (€333 inc VAT) so you might want to consider discounting your offer a little more. ;)

Re: Brand New! Palm M515 for sale

Ah nuts

I paid an arm and leg. I could let is go for €300 but thats it. I tell ya I have lots of cool software that doesn't come as stanradr with this puppy. AND it is brandnew.

Repair of PDA

Hi,

Anyone know a good place to get a PDA repaired?
I dropped my trusty Ipaq 3630 onto a hard tile floor and the LCD appears to be toast. There is a dark "stain" at the edge of the LCD even when its off and when its on it seems like only every second horizontal line of the screen is being displayed. If you press on the screen the display will change radically (random mix of vertical and horizontal lines)

Its well out of warranty. Does anyone have an opinion on the advisability of repairing it versus buying a new one ?
I was thinking of the new HP 1940 'cos its really small.
The actual functionality and power of Pocket PC PDAs does not deem to have moved on very much since I got my 3630 several years ago. I have no use for WiFi or Bluetooth at present

Re: Repair of PDA

I broke my Palm III digitiser screen a while back and bought a replacement from James Otis - whose details are on [broken link removed] even though the original site ([broken link removed]) and some of the other links are redirecting elswhere or are dead now - and repaired it myself. I'm not sure how repairing other PDAs compares with a Palm. Anyway, James was extremely helpful at the time so you could try giving him a shout and asking if he supplies the parts you need or else can recommend somebody who can. Alternatively I'd imagine that there's some useful advice somwhere out the on the web that should be accessible using Google and some carefully selected search terms.

pda

I've bought 3 PDA's over the last few years. I've always bought them in the tax free dixons in uk airports when flying back to dublin. They work out a lot cheaper than buying in Ireland.

Re: >>Where to buy a good PDA?

I have a bluetooth HP ipaq 2200 which I would like to connect to the internet with whilst out of the house. I have a nokia mobile fone which has bluetooth also. Can anyone tell me can I use the mobile as the connecting device. If so do I just connect to vodaphone live or something or does my pda have to have a number to dial on the mobile to connect via bluetooth?

Or is there another way?

Cheers.

Re: >>Where to buy a good PDA?

I use my laptop to connect through a Nokia 6230 on meteor and set up someone to use a Dell Axim (also) through a Nokia 6230 on O2

You need to connect the PDA and phone first and make sure that they are connecting OK

The trickier part is getting the correct modem settings from the phone network
Vodafone might be better but with both meteor and O2 I got complete idiots who didnlt have a clue what they were talking about
Metero took about 2 months to get the correct info for me and I had to make about 6 phone calls before I got someone who knew how to do it

On both cases there is an additional initialisation command needed to access their individual GPRSE networks and this was the problem I had with both phone networks, here is the one for Meteor

When selecting the modem, on a laptop you need to enter the Extra
initialisation command.
AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","ISP.MYMETEOR.IE"

Good luck with Vodafone, they might be better

[email protected]

In last few years I've tried an XDA (admittedly 2nd hand) and currently have the Nokia 9300i. Previously I had a couple of psions PDAs up to the 5MX. The psions were great though their screens tended to go after a while but they had great built in programs, lots of freeware and were very relialble. The XDA experience was so bad I took it back to the retailer pretty quickly. My Nokia 9300i experience has been pretty bad too after much too and fro with the Nokia helpline by email (very helpful but problems remained).

Back