Key Post: iPod v iRiver v I Don't Know..??

R

Ryaner

Ok its decision time and time to get with the times

Decided to invest for new tunes

Looking for one with a radio as the bus journey in to work requires this.....

So what is the best option

iPod v iRiver v I Don't know(what others are there)

Also I am in Boston in March so should I wait until I get there as maybe cheaper ?

Where is the best place to buy them in Dublin ?

Cheers

Re: iPod v iRiver v I Don't Know..??

In the same boat myself.

So far iRiver seems the better bet iPods do not have a radio as far as I know.

The H320 / 340 models look good.

I'd like the PMP 120 model that allows you to store Video as well as MPV (Colour screen for Playback)

Archos is supposed to be goo too

still pondering though...

ipod

Just purchased an Archos AV420 from Amazon.co.uk, worked out at Eur490 incl postage for 20gig , records video from tele, vcr or dvd player. Mp3 player.
Has received great reviews.

Re: ipod

I'd like the [iRiver] PMP 120 model that allows you to store Video as well as MPV (Colour screen for Playback)

For my money, I'd go for the iPod Colour - stores pictures and AAC music and looks very stylish, unlike most of the alternatives.

It doesn't have a radio, however, but I find the quality of FM radio around Dublin on buses etc. to be unusable, so stick to my iPod (Mini, at present).

Don't forget that if you start putting Video on an MP3 player, then 20 Gigs all of a sudden is not going to be nearly enough capacity...

mp3 players

the players concerned store the video in Mpeg4 which at about 700mb a movie would allow you store about 20 movies and have enough space left over for about 1500 mp3 songs. Enough for me!
And the Archos beats the Iriver in all reviews i've seen to date.

I never understand this style argument when it comes to audio players. Most of the time you want to keep the bloody thing hidden in case some decides to take a fancy to it.

I wouldn't want to pay extra just for the look of the thing.

I have an Iriver I-HP40 and I have found it superb for nearly every purpose to date (sound, data storage, radio and so on). The radio on it is pretty good to date, it plays more audio formats than the ipod (ogg being my personal preference) and its come in handy to have a 40gb hard-disk in my pocket on occasion.

The remote control on it is supposed to be much better than the ipod controls (matter of debate no doubt) but I find I never take it out of my bag and just run it all from the supplied remote control. Also black and white screen means it doesn't burn down the battery as quickly as colour devices.

If you're worried about the look of it there are some colour skins (sleeves) available for it that make it more "fashionable". Doesn't bother me.

Definitely go for a 40Gb device though as the price difference is not enough to warrant losing out on 20Gb extra space.

You may well be better off waiting till march and getting something in the states as the devices are way cheaper there than here. Ipods will probably fall in price as there are newer ones on the way in January or so I believe.

Re: ..

The radio quality from the iriver is perfect - even on public transport.
You can also save from radio to the hard disk.

mac compatible

If you've got macs in work and at home are these items you're discussing like iRivers compatible?

Most of the time you want to keep the bloody thing hidden in case some decides to take a fancy to it.

. ;)

ipod

And no mugger is gonna say gimme your Archos cos they would not be educated enough.

I never understand this style argument when it comes to audio players. Most of the time you want to keep the bloody thing hidden in case some decides to take a fancy to it.
I wouldn't want to pay extra just for the look of the thing.

Design and usability (user interface, ergonomics of the controls, etc.) are very important - I just don't think anyone else has caught up with Apple on this one yet.

You may well be better off waiting till march and getting something in the states as the devices are way cheaper there than here. Ipods will probably fall in price as there are newer ones on the way in January or so I believe.

Yes, the iPod Colo(u)r will certainly bring down the cost of the mono-screen iPods.

I got an IRiver IHP-140 in the US myself in Sept and am very happy with it. It's great for music, radio & carting big files around the place. Given the way the dollar is falling in value buying it in the US would look to be an even better deal now.

I was looking at a 40 Gb iRiver today on amazon. They are going for about $380 and roughly thats about 280 euro if you can get it past customs here.

Re: muggers and iPods

According to some sources, iPod muggings are a myth propogated by iPod rivals. I've been using my iPod all over Dublin for more than 2 years now without ever attracting a second glance from undesirables (and I don't live on the Southside either!)

There is a new iPod flash player rumoured for release in January.

Other than that thregister.co.uk has good tech reviews.

There is a new iPod flash player rumoured for release in January.

Yes, I was aware of those rumours from El Reg when I mentioned the Flash player above in the discussion.

It's the old problem - do you wait for the "next big thing" to come along, or buy what's out now?

Do you buy for Xmas or wait for the January sales?

The Sony NW-HD1 20GB player is now €366 on
[broken link removed]

For my money, this is the only real competitor to the iPod Mini in terms of size, weight (very important).

I think the native format is still Sony's proprietary Atrac3 compression, but Sony have stated that are bringing native MP3 support to it.

In the meantime, afaik, you have to convert your existing music library to Atrac3 using supplied software.

but Sony have stated that are bringing native MP3 support to it.

Good luck to Joe User when he tries to figure out what "upgrading the firmware" means and how to do it! :eek

Back