Key Post: How do I know if I have a Firewall?

M

Marion

This was originally posted by : Brian

I have just got broadband from Esat so how do I know if I have a Firewall? What programme is it?
I have Norton anti virus 2003, is this a Firewall?
thanks

Re: How do I know if I have a Firewall?

Norton anti virus is what's known as a virus guard. It checks any new files for any known viruses and acts accordingly (usually cures/deletes them).
A Firewall listens to see if anyone is attempting to access your internet ports to see if anyone is snooping around. It also protects from certain known resources,
Here's an explanation of firewall.
Here's what you want to know about virus/guards

See this topic for some firewall (and other security utility) recommendations. Ask Esat if your DSL device includes a firewall and, if so, how to configure it. If you are using Windows XP then I think that it has a built-in (or optional add-on?) firewall. If in doubt install something like ZoneAlarm and configure it appropriately for the moment and maybe for good.

Firewall

What is the best firewall software at present (Norton??) and does anyone know the best/cheapest place to purchase this??( BTW living North side Dublin!!)
Thanks.

Re: Firewall

Cheapest firewall I know of is ZoneAlarm, which is free for individual and not-for-profit charitable entity use. It works well too.

Re: Firewall

I also use ZoneAlarm and it reports that it has stopped 1034 programs accessing my computer in the last 2 months. This shows how much our computers are under attack.
XP has a firewall built in, but I think you need to switch it on as it is off by default.

re:

Thanks for the replies. Will give that Zone Alarm a shot.

XP Firewall

Can someone please advise how you actually turn on the XP firewall?

Thank you
Brian

Hi Brian

Check the easy instructions here

The following is stated at the end of the page:

If you're using a router to connect to the Internet, and connecting all your networked computers straight off from there, don't activate the firewall, either. The router automatically protects you, and activating a firewall will just cause problems.

I presume this means that if you are using an Esat or an Eircom router/modem with a built in firewall that one should not switch on the XP firewall?

Marion :hat

Hi zag

So it is safe to have both the eircom router firewall and the XP firewall actived at the same time ... to be sure to be sure?

Marion :hat

*Probably* won't be caused.

I did give out about the other guy talking in absolutes after all.

The thing to remember is that you can turn it on and off at will, so if something stops working after you enable the firewall then just turn it off again and try to work out what was causing the problem.

The main problem with the content of the link is that it is a bit like saying if you have a front door (acting a bit like a router - allowing traffic in both directions) then you don't need to keep an eye on who is coming in and out of your house and what they are taking with them (the firewall bit). This is true if your front door also does a security check, but in reality most routers don't do this unless they *specifically* say they do and also unless they are *specifically* configured to do it. As far as I am aware the eircom devices don't do this and I guess the esat ones don't either.

z

Marion,

I'm afraid the quote above is misleading *and* dangerous.

A router routes and a firewall firewalls.

A router *might* also firewall, but I wouldn't assume this to be the case in any particular instance. The guy who wrote that article shouldn't talk in absolutes like he does.

Basically the function of a router is to take traffic in one side and send it out the other side - to link your network on one side with the internet on the other side. This is routing. It doesn't involve providing any security measures.

The function of a firewall is to examine traffic passing through a device and apply a set of pre-defined rules against it to allow certain types of traffic and disallow certain other types. This is the security (or firewalling) function.

What I am saying is that it is not wise to assume that a router is providing any firewalling function unless you know *for sure* that it is doing this.

Adding the extra layer of security by installing your own firewall shouldn't normally cause the type of complications hinted at by the linked post.

z

p.s. to address the issue at the end of your post - if you are using a router which you *know* to be firewalling (and you know it is firewalling the correct traffic) then yes it is safe enough not to turn on the built-in XP firewall.

XP Firewall

Brilliant Marion, many thanks. Looks like the firewall had been enabled but I just didn't know.

Thank you
Brian

re..

I downloaded ZONEALARM PRO. Very complicated.. First I couldnt activate Internet Explorer. Then it asks if you want to allow programmes to run on the net etc. Do I need this? How do I know if there is a built in Firewall in my modem. Also, it says that a lot of cra* gets into your computer that you cannot see. Can you download a PC cleaner to rid of this? Power Scan popped up when I downloaded ZoneAlarm and it asks if you want to delete all spam etc but you have to pay. It is called Privacy Cleaner. Where can I find something like this for free?
Thanks!!!

Re: re..

I downloaded ZONEALARM PRO. Very complicated.. First I couldnt activate Internet Explorer. Then it asks if you want to allow programmes to run on the net etc.
That's the idea of a firewall personal firewall. You decide which programs can access the internet and prevent all others from doing so - this means if some malware gets installed it can't communicate with other computers via the internet. It's a bit of a job for the first few goes but soon you will have allowed the programs you want to access the internet to do so (e.g. your web browser, your e-mail client, IM, etc.) and you've blocked all others (get ZoneAlarm to remember the settings you configure - there's a check box in the pop-up alert to allow you to do so).
How do I know if there is a built in Firewall in my modem.
There isn't. You might have a DSL router with built in firewall - look at the docs that came with it for details.
Where can I find something like this for free?
You can get Ad Aware and free anti-virus software to clean up your machine for you.

Re: re..

> I downloaded ZONEALARM PRO. Very complicated..

Did you read the manual/help first? Anything is complicated if you don't have at least a basic understanding of how it works and how to configure it...

firewall

I just got broadband today.

I remember a previous post on firewalls that you should have a hardware based firewall for broadband. I downloaded ZoneAlarm Pro. My router does not have an inbuilt firewall.

Will a software firewall, like ZoneAlarm Pro, be sufficient?

Or, can anyone recommend a hardware one?

Many thanks.

Only Xp WITH sp2 has a firewall included, if you don't have Service pack 2 you can dowload for free from http://www.microsoft.com (www.microsoft.com) includes a host of other helpful utilities....some routers do have firewalls but remember this is hardware so consult the manual or the manufacters website .

Service Pack 2 (SP2) is a free update for your Windows XP operating system and can help protect your computer and personal information against viruses, hackers, pop-ups, and worms. ...

Don't forget that the XP firewall only checks incoming traffic whereas many third party (free or commercial) firewalls will check traffic in both directions (e.g. to catch anything dodgy trying to initiate an outward connection from your PC). I prefer to switch off the XP firewall and run ZoneAlarm myself but there are lots of other alternatives - e.g. [broken link removed].

What to see how well your firewall is protecting you? Check out https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

The main site at www.grc.com makes interesting reading.

I see a few of you run Nortons..... be very careful, it's not a great product and my personal record is close to 2,500 viruses on a Laptop and it didn't pick up any of them. AVG is a better product and it's free.

How fast is your broadband...... Are you sure? Test it here http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp

Back