Credit card refund

R

rwilson_ie

Hi,

I've recently made a credit card purchase and the product was faulty. Am I entitled to approach my credit card company to ask for the money to be refunded ? I was told I can do this within one month ???

Basically, the issue of whether the product is faulty is not agreed upon by the retailer.

Am I entitled to get my money back and then the credit card company chase the retailer ?

TIA
Rob

In general, no - once you sign the docket for the retailer to charge your account, the credit card company won't give you a refund. You can't really blame them either - If anyone could get a refund like this, retailers would be getting ripped off, left, right & centre.

Was this a shop purchase or an online purchase? Have you considered taking a Small Claims Court case against the retailer?

I use my credit card for a lot of purchases, particularily online purchases. If the product or service is not what I paid for, and they refuse to refund my money, I write a letter to my credit card company and they refund my money.

I use my credit card for a lot of purchases, particularily online purchases. If the product or service is not what I paid for, and they refuse to refund my money, I write a letter to my credit card company and they refund my money.

yes, this is what I heard - do you know what happens on the side of the credit card company - do they then follow up with the retailer ?

Thanks
Rob

yes, this is what I heard - do you know what happens on the side of the credit card company - do they then follow up with the retailer ?

I know in the US they charge the retailer a fee ($40 I think) and take the money back from them. You shouldn't have to do anything else.

You have 6 months to dispute any purchases, and I believe that the onus is on the merchant to prove they provided the service/product as advertised.

You must first take this up direct with merchant - if no resolution and it definately isn't what you paid for you then you can ask CC co. to charge back. You will need to fill out forms for CC co. explaining full details. CC co will make decision and if they repay you they will deduct cash from the merchant straight away. You can't do this just because you changed you mind etc and also if you do this on a frequent basis the chances of you succeeding will reduce - cc company will actively review.

However for faulty goods, this probably is a different area - your consumer rights protect you here and as such a strongly worded letter to their headoffice/owners/directors etc will probably be needed - failing that small claims as mentioned by rainy day may be only recourse.

maybe you could post more details on product/merchant

Paddy

I believe that the onus is on the merchant to prove they provided the service/product as advertised.
That's not my understanding. My understanding is that the onus is on the merchant to prove that you authorised that your account would be debited - after that, it's over to you.

Having said that, I did get support from my bank when I mistakenly signed an Amex slip for €3,400 for a €34.00 petrol purchase in Naples. But I really don't think your bank will get involved in a simple consumer dispute. There is no particular harm in trying - just give them a call & see what happens.

Rainy Day

You are talking about a different area of Dispute.

This query is regarding wether your credit card co will help out when a purchase you agree you entered into, does not go as planned.

For example, If you purchase something online and do not receive it you can charge it back. - This is different to disputing a transaction ever happened in the first place.

FYI Both are possible, disputing a txn has historically been much harder to prove by the merchants - however the onus on this is shifting to the consumer based on the Chip and Pin.

Paddy

Back