Ireland one of Most In Debt Countries

National Debt?

but how is our National Debt? I take it that the private debt is largely due to the huge mortgages peple are forced to take out.

We owe the Brits so much

I thought being in the LoS forum this topic was going to make the following political statement.

We owe so much to our neighbours:

Our democracy
Our laws
Our language
The good side of our culture
Our economic development
Our defence (we didn't even have to fight the Nazis)
Our protection against republican insurgency
Employment safety valve in hard times
BBC, ITV, CH4 for FREE
The Premiership

Does any other nation on earth owe so much to another?

and of course let's not forget

our 800 years of oppression there Ian.

How's the DUP these days?

Re: and of course let's not forget

I would say our good neighbours Britain owe us many apologies (choose your own masacre/injustice):

Cromwell's working holiday to Ireland (he especially enjoyed his visit to Dundalk)

Ireland's Catholics gradually 'relieved' of their land (down to c. 7% ownership at one stage)

Penal Laws passed against those barbarous Catholics

Unlimited slave labour provided over the centuries

Overseeing of the starvation of a people (barbarous locals reduced by 2 million in 5 years)

Denial of democratically expressed wish of a Nation (first Dail repressed whilst we were being asked to fight "In the defence of small Nations!")

Prevention of economic development of a Nation (ever ask yourself why there was no Industrial Revolution here? We were too busy shipping food over the Irish Sea whilst trying to avoid starvation and pay tithes).

OK, we were slaughtered, starved and supressed, but at least eventually our navies could get employment over there hey Ian?

Our relationship with our erstwhile masters is a complicated thing but denial of the past in the name of revisionism does a massive disservice to those that had to live it.

Neighbourly indebtedness

Brou. You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs. If the Brits had left us alone we would be overpopulated, speaking a garbled useless language, and living like all the other roman catholic third world countries.

Oliver never went near Dundalk - too many IRA folk I guess. However he helped clean up Drogheda. :D

Well done

Well done Ian, sh*t stirring at it's finest!
I don't agree with you (well, only a little bit) but it's good to hear other people's views, isn't it?

An interesting quote from the link in the first message is,

"The Central Bank said private sector borrowing in Ireland was increasing at four times the euro-zone average."

Ever get the feeling house prices here could be in for a, how shall I put it, a correction?

re: National Debt?

Bridget,

One of the best sites (and most frequently updated) to get information on different countries is one of the public sites operated by the CIA. Here's the link on Ireland.

[broken link removed]

The CIA reports that the external debt was $18 billion in 1998 (there goes my updated comment) the budget is $30.5 billion (92) expenditures and $30.7 billion in revenues.

The financial information they get from Irish government sources.

Hugh

Re: .

Ever get the feeling house prices here could be in for a, how shall I put it, a correction?

There seems to be a bit of an obsession with this idea lately. Personally I don't see it happening. The bubble burst will more than likely just be a steadying in prices...not a correction (whenever it happens).

borrowing rates

Hi Paul,
"The Central Bank said private sector borrowing in Ireland was increasing at four times the euro-zone average."
You could well be right in what you say about this but how does our economic growth rate compare with the rest of Europe?

some rough data

Our GDP/GNP is growing at about 4-5%.

EU average is about 2%.

Our Public debt is about €35-40 billion.

Our GDP is over €120 billion, with GNP over €100 billion.

Mortgage debt is approx. €60-80 billion.

Borrowing is flying, growing at 25% pa.

some more rough data please

Our rate of increase is four times the European average but how does our baseline rate compare to the European average? i.e. if the average paddy owed 40K and the European average is 400K then the rate of increase is nothing to worry about (I suspect that this is not the case and we do have a lot to worry about but all statistics have to be contextualised).
What's the average rate of public debt across Europe?

Our growth rate is 2.5 times that of most of the rest of Europe so using a like for like comparison our rate of borrowing is not as bad as it first seems. That's not to say it is not worth worrying about.

House price inflation

The way I see it we're in for another round of massive house price hikes!

1. 5.5% pay deal for workers just ratified.
2. Growth forecasts all say BOOM coming.
3. Interest rate hikes being put on back burner by EU.
4. Tax relief for workers being promised in next budget.
5. SSIAs cash to hit the scene in next 18 months.

5 good reasons why there will be no bust any time soon.

>

As been said so many times before how can you predict what the ECB will do? Maybe you have a direct line with them,if you have,then please get a link and post it on this board?

Republic of Ireland & England more or less the same geographical size.

Population in England is around 10 times the population in RoI. Therefore population density in England is 10 times that of RoI, yet Ireland has higher house prices than England.

I can understand your points, but I do wonder when no.6. will enter the arena i.e. common sense. Is it logical that Ireland should have the third most expensive average property prices in the world?

IMO, it just doesn't stack up.

House price inflation

The ECB were to have raised rates by now...remember the forecasts from 6 months ago!

I read an article in the Irish Times last week which now predicts it'll be another 6 months. YAWN.

They'll eventually get it right...then you can say I told you so. Ha Ha.

Common WHAT? When did sense ever come into it?

Or do you mean CENTS?

Is it true that trolls often put the words "Ha Ha" in their posts?

House inflation

Just listening to the news reports that Irish population is now over 4M and growing.

That would be reason no.6 for further house price hikes.

Back