Key Post: flush light fittings.

S

sueellen

Has anyone had experience getting a contractor to put in sunken lights in a house in a new development? I was wondering what the general cost would be assuming that we would have to buy the fittings ourselves. (Thinking of 8 lights in the sitting room)

yep

I had this done no problem. Well, I complained that the showhouse had them and when I saw the single cable hanging out of the kitchen ceiling I kicked up a fuss. The next day there were eight little holes.

Better to try get it done now rather than later.

Light fittings

Ex-electrician.

Upstairs in standard house.......no problem.

If downstairs, the chances are that a floorboard or two will have to be lifted above that area.

Is the carpet down?

8 lights, possibly 5 hours work. Check out B+Q, but remember to get high wattage capability, as cheaper kits (transformers) will only allow you to use a 25 watt bulb, which you mightn't find sufficent later.

Re: Light fittings

another electrician here ,i've done this work many times lately .as rufus says upstairs is no problem ,downstairs ,if it's a dormer type house you may be able to fish the wires in if not and you're putting in carpet the electrician can lift a board or two.if you're varnishing the boards either get a good chippie to lift and put back the boards or else if you dont wan't to lift any new bords the electrician might be able to make one or two holes in the ceiling and then get a good plasterer to patch them,it usually best not to damage a new ceiling though unless you have to .how many lights and where?

Re: Light fittings

cost ,i charge about 25 per light all-in

light fittings

Thanks guys!

Luckily for me the build is just starting so the wiring can be done with the first fixing. I just had no idea what the time, effort or cost was and I can't afford to get 'done' by a shrewd builder.

recess lighting

just to bear in mind two points with recess lighting:

(1) the bulbs are quite expensive! Bear in mind the running cost.

(2) it is important when getting them installed that the electrician ensures that any insulation material is pulled well back from the back of the light housing, as they can get quite hot and may pose a fire risk if covered with insulate.

Re: >>flush light fittings.

Insulation is gone since we fitted these - we pulled back the insulation surrounding the lights but the result is a freezing, nicely lit kitchen ! Surely there must be some insulation solution which might loosely fit above above the lights in the ceiling? or a cupped insulation - any ideas anyone?

Back