Key Post Polti vaporetto steam cleaner

S

sueellen

Hi
I am in the market for a new vacuum cleaner and came up the Polti range, sounds very useful, but would like peoples experiences of them as they can be a bit more expensive than the non-H20 types!. Floor area to be covered would be 40% carpet, 40%wood, 20% tiles. Would also like it to clean tiles, ceramic surfaces. Any experiences/recommendations?
Thanks
Bear

Title changed by ClubMan.

I have no particular views on the Polti as a machine, but I want to share with you some research results: There is a body of evidence mounting that our homes are excessively clean, and that this may be a significant contributing factor in the growth over the past couple of decades in the incidence of asthma and eczema. The thesis, if I can summarise very roughly, is that we have evolved with germs, we're made to deal with them and if we don't have them about the place, our immune systems get bored and start over-reacting to minor things, resulting in problems such as eczema and asthma. I just lately read of a trial where children suffering eczema were injected with dead germs (of the type which they would come in contact with if they were exposed to what might be termed "normal" dirt in times gone by) and there was a 48% reduction in skin irritation compared to a placebo group. Now what sort of world is it where we have to take germs, kill 'em and inject them into kids, because the kids have been denied the exposure to these germs which they need to prime their immune systems?

We are constantly bombarded with advertising which tells us that we need to have all our clothes, our floors, windows etc. sparkling clean (showering ourselves and our homes with detergents and chemicals, many of which end up in our water, some of which degenerate into compounds which have oestrogen-like effects on our menfolk), that we must shower and change clothes every day, that the house dust mite is leaving toxic droppings in our upholstery and we need to steam the place.........

It might not be true, and it might just be unhealthy. So perhaps don't rush out to get the Vaporetto, or any other steam cleaner, if you don't really need it

I know a few people who have these, and their feedback was that they are more trouble than they are worth. Tiles and hard surfaces would be easier to clean with the 'traditional' vacuum and occasionally mop arrangement.
cheers,
Diz

Hygiene hypotheseis

MOB,thanks for this I was aware of the same type of research and agree basically, but sometimes you just need to get things clean and the wife is a bit of a bleach freak (say that with a few pints!!).
Advice noted, thanks
Bear

Could not agree with you more!

I have thought as much for a very long time and was pleased to read an article validating what was a hunch.
When my 26 year old daughter was a baby, I consciously gradually reduced the amount of sterilising and cleaning I did, so she could get used to what I consider to be "normal" dirt.

I believe some toys are now coated with some sort of sterilising product. Mad!

On the other hand, my 12 year old son gets great encouragement from me to have at least one, if not two, showers a day. Nobody had warned me boys that age really smell!

I have a small ,hand-held, Polti steam cleaner and I use it to clean the oven. It's more environmentally friendly than oven cleaning products. However, I have seen demos on TV where small steam cleaners are used to clean built-up dirt and grease on BBQs, etc. as if by margic. In reality, it is not that efficient. But it's still good.

regards
Bubbles

I bought a Polti vaporetto at least 7 years ago. I think they are excellent. They're not a vacuum cleaner (at lesat mine isn't). It is a steam cleaner. So it's excellent if one of your mates spills red wine on the carpet etc. It's also great for cleaning the kitchen, grease deposits, defrosting the fridge, cleaning dirty windows, carpets, bathroom fixtures, etc. For a vacuum cleaner, you can't beat the Dyson. It looks cool and my better half has no problems operating it.

I've got a friend that works in a repair shop for Vacuum cleaners and he says the Dyson is more trouble than any other vacuum to repair and also getting parts for it is also troublesome, I thought they were a great Idea and would save you money by not having to buy bags for it but when a pro told me not to I just had to take note.

kids & dirt

MOB's comment reminds me of a childhood ditty;

"Nobody loves me, everybody hates me, I'm going down the garden to eat dirt".

I wonder how many of todays children know that one?

Sarah

Dyson

My sister bought a Dyson a couple of years ago and it is absolutely crap. The suction is terrible, she borrows my 'standard' vacuum cleaner regularly. AVOID!!

steam cleaner

How do these steam cleaners work? Do they blow steam and suck dirt + dirty water at the same time, or just blow steam and you dry off the item by itself, or what?

Re: >>Polti vaporetto steam cleaner.

Some other posts

bluebean
Frequent poster
Steam Cleaners - are they any good?

Hi all,

I just had a look at the Aldi brochure for what is coming up in next weeks lot. There is a hand held steam cleaner for 35 yo yo's.
I know very little about steam cleaners, but I do need something that will clean the tiles in my kitchen and bathroom floors...can steam cleaners do this? Is there any drawbacks? do they leave the floor wet for ages or does it dry off quickly?
Sorry if these questions are stupid, I just dont want to waste my money on it if it wont clean floors efficiently.

thanks!

soy
Unregistered User
steam cleaner

The 'polti' steam cleaners are fairly effective for the tasks you mention, but you will need to spend 5 or 6 hundred euro to get one that is up to the job. The smaller ones just dont have the power.

In light of this, It is very difficult to see how one costing 35 euro can possibly be an effective cleaning device

Dr Moriarty
Frequent poster
Re: steam cleaner

I tried (and returned) one of those €35 handheld things from LIDL a few months back. It would have been fine for removing (mild) stains from upholstery or garments that you couldn't use a cleaning product on, but not much more...

But I don't think you need to spend €500 or €600! I borrowed one that I think had cost under €200 and it did a great job around the house and garden. Watch out, though, they're kind of addictive (i.e. you end up steam-cleaning everything... once you've done the pathway, the walls look grubby, then the window frames, then the roof tiles, etc.) Good thing the dog wasn't around...!

eamonn66
Unregistered User
Steam Cleaners

I have to disagree with the above statements i bought a cheap cleaner about a year ago myself and find it terrific anything more powerful (hotter) would be unusable. mine came with a good set of attachments which are fine for anything i have needed to date, windows,kitchen, car upholstry etc. the only advantage with the bigger ones that i can see is that they would need less frequent fillups. for E35 you cant go wrong

Brynick
Re: Steam Cleaners

I bought a steam cleaner off the TV. (Sucker I know) I'm one of those people who got sucked in by the advertisement, you know the ones, Anyway I bought it last year came too €100approx. incl. delivery. Have to say its brilliant. It came with different nozzles for cleaning oven, carpet, tiles taps etc.When we got it we steamed everything and I mean everything. I never thought I'd buy anything from those TV channels but there you have it.

bluebean
Frequent poster
hmm...

ok, so bit of a mixed bag here. What I really want it for is cleaning the floor, mainly tiles but some wood also. If i use it to clean the kitchen floor (tiled), does the steam make the floor wet, and bring the dirt to the surface so that I have to mop off the dirt then?

thanks.

anemone
Unregistered User
steam cleaner

I'd be interested in this too. What experiences have people had when cleaning upholstery with them?

I'm in a rented apartment, and the fabric armrests (non-removable) on the sofa are pretty grubby. I'd like to clean them but I don't want to (a) damage the landlord's sofa or (b) get it so damp that it takes ages to dry and maybe starts getting that slightly mouldy smell.

Would one of these cheap steam cleaners do the job, do you think?

Marie
Frequent poster
Re: Steam Cleaners - are they any good?

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is a hand-held steam cleaner for 35 yo yos.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm impressed/appalled! Why? If you want to clean a tiled kitchen floor an oldfashioned mop costs about E4, doesn't need plugging in/using electricity and lasts many years (at least mine does as I'm not neurotic about 'clean dirt' and spend my precious life-time doing things other than excessive house-cleaning). In the earlier thread about steam-cleaners which Sueellen provided a link to the EFFECTS ON OUR HEALTH of excessively-clinically-clean environments is brought out (e.g. in increased numbers of asthmatics, lower levels of immunity to infection etc.) There are indications that the escalation of Alzheimers, Parkinsons, motor-neurone diseases and other brain diseases are caused by increased chemical pollutants (including cleaning-agents!) in our water-supplies and environment. See observer.guardian.co.uk/u...3,00.html. Scary stuff.

babette
Unregistered User
wool

Does anyone know if you can safely clean wool carpets and floor mats with steam cleaners. I know carpets have been mentioned above, but I'm thinking of the doll-sized wool jumper that resulted when a human sized jumper accidentally made it into the washing machine. Would a steam cleaner not shrink a carpet/mat?

car
Unregistered User
steam cleaner

we got one of those steam cleaners that looks like a kettle, thinks its called the penguin, it does the job on the tiles and the upholstery. Its a nice toy, although like all nice toys, its been sitting under the stairs for the last 6 months. must get on to missus car...

polti cleaner

Would the steam cleaner for 35 yo yos be good enough to clean the cooker?

Re: steam cleaner

Thinking about buying a steam cleaner, but there are some unanswered questions further up this thread that I'd be interested in the answers to...
nicki said:
How do these steam cleaners work? Do they blow steam and suck dirt + dirty water at the same time, or just blow steam and you dry off the item by itself, or what?
babette said:
Does anyone know if you can safely clean wool carpets and floor mats with steam cleaners. I know carpets have been mentioned above, but I'm thinking of the doll-sized wool jumper that resulted when a human sized jumper accidentally made it into the washing machine. Would a steam cleaner not shrink a carpet/mat?

anemone said:
What experiences have people had when cleaning upholstery with them?
I'm in a rented apartment, and the fabric armrests (non-removable) on the sofa are pretty grubby. I'd like to clean them but I don't want to (a) damage the landlord's sofa or (b) get it so damp that it takes ages to dry and maybe starts getting that slightly mouldy smell.

Would one of these cheap steam cleaners do the job, do you think?

Re: Key Post: Polti vaporetto steam cleaner

Bought Lavor steam cleaner from Lidl yesterday. Tried to clean an arm chair - no joy. Went on to clean the cooker and the oven door - the result is just the same: all stains/grease are just where they were. May be I am doing something wrong by just following the instructions. The machine does have quite good technical characteristics (2000w, 4 bar, 80 gr/min), but the results it produces seem to be very poor to me. Perhaps I am expecting too much from a 99 euro thing from Lidl?
Has anybody used this type of machine?

am headwrecked from researching which one to buy - anyone got the name of a brand that they are happy with. Not too keen on the Lidl one, reviews aren't great

Re: Key Post: Polti vaporetto steam cleaner

i have one, i use it to clean everything even the car. No complaints great value for Euro 99.00. I am going to charge rental for it because it is borrowed that much. I just find that with heavy stains say on carpets you need to use a cleaner first

Thanks for that ger49 - can I ask where you bought it? That is a good price - was expecting to pay at least double that.

I also have the Polti Vaperotto Steam Cleaner, brilliant, I am sick of my friends and family borrowing it.

Back