Key Post: Granite worktops...

S

sueellen

Can anyone recommend suupliers of granite worktops for new kitchens?

Thanks
MAC

Re: Granite worktops...

There's a place in Coolock, near the old Gateway plant (remember those old economy PC makers?), you'll find them in the yellow pages.

All I can say is, be prepared to spend lots of cash. When I was renovating my house back in 1997 I badly wanted granite worktops (still do) but I walked away at the price. And if you do buy them, be careful not to crack them!

Re: Granite worktops...

MAC,

Would agree with Extopia about the worktops. They are the rolls royce of worktops but did the same when I got the quote :eek A friend who has them has told me that they mark easily also.

Ouch- don't like the sound of the above....

Now I am nervous..... both the above sound pretty ominous. However this is not a decision for mere mortals like myself. As I'm sure you know this is a "management"type decision if you know what I mean
:)

MAC

Extopia....

Thanks Extopia - is teh place you're think of called Marble and Granite near the Tayto factory? As in here... [broken link removed]

MAC

Re: Marble and Granite

MAC, I think that is the place all right. It was a large factory type operation. When I was there they didn't have a showroom as such, you walked around a storage area and looked at samples. Perhaps they are a little more organized these days. They had beautiful stuff. Good luck with the "management decision"!

MAC,

No need to be nervous - I've got black granite worktops in my house (supplied by Marble & Granite - they have a showroom now) and they are superb , they haven't got chipped or marked yet. The price depends on the type of granite you go for - type A is the cheapest and I think E is the dearest, but I think they will make your kitchen look more upmarket and add value to your house.

EB

How much did you pay for your worktops, as a matter of interest. Maybe prices have come down in the past few years as these surfaces become more popular? Then again, maybe not.

To be honest I can't really remember, I think it was about 3500 including upstands, but the price depends on the quality of the granite , there is a pretty big difference between the cost of a grade A and a grade E

EB

There is a guy here in Tipperary who makes something called a hobmate. It is basically a granite insert. It is quite useful next to the stove and not too much money. You can put your hot pans on it, roll pastries, etc. If you're interested, I can try and find out more.

Marble and Granite

Good place to try is BDM stone in Castlecomer, Co Kilkenny. 056 40045

Prices are negotiable.

Best of luck!

Elm Fireplaces in Glin

For anyone in the Limerick/Cork/Kerry/Tipp area, Elm Fireplaces in Glin just installed a granite worktop for me and the missus, and they did a fine job altogether.

Full bullnose finish, "Loughill black", with the draining flutes, undermounted sink, etc.

Absolutely gorgeous, and worth the money (kitchen was €4k, worktop was €2k)

We shopped around, and found a kitchen supplier that was much cheaper than the preferred supplier from our builder, and ended up with the kitchen and worktop for less than the quote from the original kitchen supplier just for the kitchen.

Cornelscourt

Roe's in Cornelscourt village near Dunnes were pretty good. I paid £800 a couple of years ago (my husband went mad) for an island. Best money ever spent. Looks great. Also a very good place in Drogheda, name escapes me. By the way one of the best bathroom accessories shops is in Drogheda - Bathrooms 2000

murphystone

Roe's in Cornelscourt are very good, down from the Magic Carpet.
Also near there is Murphystone on Murphystown Road in Sandyford (2956006) where I got my black granite countertop. The showroom is small, but has a pretty good range of colours, styles and prices. There's also a couple of places on Ballyogan Road, D18, Roe & O'Neill and Craftstone? Not sure if I got the names correct, but the address is.

A piece of advice - the darker the colour you go for the more the dust and dirt show up. I'd recommend a stone countertop any day, worth the investment.

granite worktops

Specialized kitchen shops are expensive,they want their share of the building boom. I suggest a headstone maker,give it a try and let us know.Granite does NOT scratch easy , by the way.Good luck.

Limerick/Cork/Kerry/Tipp kitchen supplier

James,

could you post some details of the kitchen supplier
in the above area that you found was good value?

thanks,

Brian.

attn UpTipp

UpTipp,
Can you post the name of the guy who does the hob inserts and contact details, is there a website. Thanks,
mise

kitchen supplier

Yeah, we went with Brouder & Murphy, in John Street, Limerick.

Re: Bathrooms 2000 Drogheda

Certainly a very good place for bathroom suites/accessories, but the stuff is bloody expensive. Worth a look for ideas though if nothing else.

Granite worktop - any disadvantages

Apart from the price are there any disadvantages to having a granite worktop that may help persuade herself that we don't really need one?

Back