Dishwasher: brown staining

M

mpgalvin

I bought some cutlery at the weekend, and put it into my dishwasher to give it a quick blast before use. When it came out, though, there were these little brown 'splashes' on everything. Some of them had migrated to the other delph in the washer, so everything needed to be washed by hand. I've since done a couple empty cycles, and want to re-use the washer, but don't want the same thing to happen. It could be a) the cutley b) the washer c) the water d) the rinse aid (I'm not using any, I'm using a 3-in-1).

has anyone had a similiar problem? The washer is brand new and I am the first person to use it. If it's any help, even though I use a 3-in-1, I also put salt in the container.

Did it ever work, or was this the first time you used the dishwasher *and* the first time you washed the cuttlery ?

z

A little from column A and a little from column B.

I think it must be the cutlery, as the staining is most prevalent on it, but the cutlery has brown wooden handles, so there might be a problem with the washer (too hot, too hard water, too much or too little of something?).

A few things to consider:-

1. Some cutlery is not suitable for dishwashers - you would need to check when you purchase.

2. IMHO separate rinse aid, powder and salt are better than 3-in-one. I have tried both options.

3. There is a descaler that you can buy for dishwashers. Bit of a marketing gimmick IMHO and I only know about them becuase they were free once upon a time when you bought the powder. I would have to admit tho it did leave the dishwasher sparkling inside. A new machine should not need same but if you need to clear a problem caused by the cutlery it may help.

4. We're on our 3rd dishwasher and I have only seen what you describe happen once or twice when one particulary dirty item was placed in the cutlery tray. You definitely need to rinse off the plates, cutlery and pots before you put them in.

5. Have you read the full instructions and selected the correct temperature?

We have just every purchased a Zanussi/Electrolux dishwasher and have these brown stains on everything we haven't changed our dishes or cleaner it started from the first wash from new is it just from this make of dishwasher?

Re: Wooden handles not suitable for dishwasher

"brown wooden handles"

I've always found that wooden handles are not suitable for the dishwasher. They usually fall apart in a very short time because the heat/water affects the wood.

Re: Wooden handles not suitable for dishwasher

sueellen et al. That appears to be it. I took everything out and washed it by hand yesterday. The stains came off everything pretty easily (using some steel wool) except the brown handled cutlery. I took a look and the stains seem to originate in the handles and is particularly bad in the "stainless steel" imprint on each utensil.

At least all my new delph is not ruined. Thanks all

[broken link removed]website[/center]

NB. Using salt and 3'n1 tabs causes an ionic imbalance in the water and will strip the oxide film from the silverware (Yank-speak for cutlery). Choose one or the other. More is not better. And for those cloudy glasses, stop rinsing the dishes before they go into the machine (causes a pH imbalance with the detergent).

Well, that's obviously it then, but nothing on the fine website tells me how to get the blasted salt out. I bought the salt, and then received a "gift" of the 3-in-1, so I had no idea you shouldn't use both. Perhaps I should've read the fine manual, too.

Risking the label of pedant, I would suggest you follow 's advice and
IMHO separate rinse aid, powder and salt are better than 3-in-one. I have tried both options.
until the salt supply is expended.

Can you tell me if not using the 3in1 tabs worked with getting rid of the stains?

Can you tell me if not using the 3in1 tabs worked with getting rid of the stains?

Hi Fiona,

Following on from my old post above I started using the Finish 3-in-one powerball tablets and they worked find without any rinse aid and salt. I find it to be a pain to have to buy 3 different items and loading the salt into our machine is very awkward.

If you are going to use ordinary powder them IMHO you need to use the rinse aid and salt also. If you have particularly bad stains on the items from a previous run thru on the machine then you might need to clean them by hand with steel wool.

I will use the powder now until the salt has been used up but even still the stains are still reappearing. So I'm not putting the cutlery thru anymore until then - it took me long enough to get the stains off already.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Fiona,

Following on from my old post above I started using the Finish 3-in-one powerball tablets and they worked find without any rinse aid and salt. I find it to be a pain to have to buy 3 different items and loading the salt into our machine is very awkward.

Bought a new dishwasher a few months ago and it warns that even if you use 3 in 1 powerball tabs that you need to use salt in the machine plus rinse aid if you want to maintain the condition of your machine.

And do you have a problem with staining?

No, didn't with my old dishwasher either! The only thing I'm careful of is silverware....to put it on it's own and never with stainless steel in the same compartment. Please no lectures on washing silver cutlery in dishwasher...life's too short!!:D

Back