Key Post: Radon Levels (Should I be Worried?)

S

sueellen

I've been thinking of buying a house in an area which I've just found out has high Radon levels.

I discovered this by looking at the maps shown on the following page from the Radiological Protection Institute of Ireland;

What are your thoughts about? Is this something I should be concerned about?

Thanks.

Re: Radon Levels (Should I be Worried?)

If I was buying in an area prone to high radon levels then I would seriously consider getting the property .

Radon

If the house is fairly new, it may well have a radon barrier in the foundations.
This provides a degree of protection by not allowing the upwards movement of radon into the interior.

Also from what I know, radon concentration can vary considerably even within a given area. The maps give a general profile, but within any given area some parts will be OK and some will be worse off. Direct measurement is the only sure way to know. Radon concentrations also depend on how a property is used - ventilation levels etc.
Laoise

Radon

Radon is dangerous if it builds up. A radon barrier (i.e. the big plastic sheet on the foundation) will prevent Radon gas penetrating into the house via the floors. What you should look for on the side of the house is a vent at ground level, if the vents are there and clear, then that leaves plenty of scope for air to circulate. For a new house the builder should have carried out this work as a matter of course. An Engineer can check an existing house. There is no real threat from Radon gas if your house is protected, even tho you may be in a high radon area. The background radiation from all the granite probably doesn't help matters....

The Radon maps have been updated. You can input your eircode. ( I have done so, but it's taking too long to respond.)

1653554166230.png

The Radon maps have been updated. You can input your eircode. ( I have done so, but it's taking too long to respond.)

View attachment 6284
The maps are down due too the high number of visits today.

Back