Key Post: Scart Lead for Video

S

sueellen

Is it worthwhile getting a scart lead to connect a video player to a TV. Where can I get one and any idea as to what price it is? Thanks

Re: Scart Lead for Video

I got one for less than €10 from one of the eXpert chain of electrical goods shops in the Swan Centre in Rathmines. Worth it to watch Camcorder clips on TV.

Re: Scart Lead for Video

They only cost about €5 these days although you can get higher quality ones (e.g. gold plated contacts) for €10 or more. Everybody sells them these days - Power City, DID, Peats, Richer Sounds etc... For that price it's handy having one. The picture quality should be better than a standard RF/coax VCR to TV connection (although you'll probably be hard pushed to notice any difference to be honest) because it goes "direct" rather than via modulation and then demodulation. SCART also allows for stereo sound on the TV where you have a stereo VCR and TV while an RF/coax connection does not. Connecting via SCART also means that viewing VCR output is as simple as switching to the AV "channel" of your TV and obviates the need to tune in a separate channel for the VCR. Depending on your equipment pressing play on your VCR may also automatically activate the AV input on your TV which is another small added bonus.

Hi,

I think you can get a basic scart to scart lead at Powercity for approx €3.00 - although I am not convinced the quality is that good myself.

I recommend Gold Scarts myself, the best of the best for everyday use, imho :)

SCART

Agree with all of the above. No point in having Stereo TV, VCR or DVD unless you have a scart lead connecting them. Go for a gold scart lead as the is definitely a difference between it and co-ax cable. You get a much cleaner and better quality picture and crisper sound especially from VCR

scart

I picked up a SCART lead with gold connectors in the Argos sale. Worked out at €5, which is excellent value for the gold ones...

Back