Key Post: Furniture

J

Jildy

Couldn't find the thread but remember seeing t here before.... What is the name of the supposedly great furniture shop in Navan (or surrounding area) and is it really all it's cracked up to be ???

Thanks....

Re: Furniture - Navan

Don't remember the thread off hand, but I've purchased some items from both Flowerhill Furniture and Navan Design. Navan Design had a very good range and some very nice (read: expensive) pieces, Flowerhill was smaller and good value (I think they may have opened a new store/revamped the old one since). Is it really all it's cracked up to be - not sure, Mrs. Doom is the expert, I just sign the credit card slips...

Re: Furniture - Navan

I think the area you're referring to is the Beechmount Industrial estate (has about 10 different furniture stores including Star Furniture) and at least in my opinion it is indeed everything we were hoping for! In terms of value for money and customer service we found it was streets ahead of anything in Dublin.

navan

meself and mrs car went up there 3 weeks ago based on the thread you seen on AAM. We went to the beechmount industrial estate where theres about 10 furniture shops. Found the prices to be about the same as Dublin, but it was handy having all the shops in the one place. There were a couple cheap places where quality wasnt great and there were a couple of expensive ones where the quality was great but too dear.
We checked out Flowerhill as a last resort before going home and were impressed with the quality and prices and so got our new 3.1.1 cream leather suite in there. They delivered free of charge the week after to Dublin. Delivery men were on time and courteous.
Give yourself 3 hours to go to all the shops but I recommend going to Flowerhill last so you can see the difference.

Re: navan

If you come across something from the Gleneagle Pine range you'd be well advised to visit Interior Creations just outside Oldcastle in Meath. Gleneagle Pine is in Oldcastle but they don't have a factory outlet/shop so Interior Creations is the nearest (and probably cheapest) supplier. We picked up a double bed, two (double bed) bed heads, chest of drawers and one of those tall mirrors with a drawer in the bottom for €800. We had shopped around in Dublin for all this and we were looking at €1000+.

Furniture

Thanks for all the replies......
Can anyone give me approx directions to the Beechmount Ind Est...I will be coming into Navan from the Dublin side...

Thanks again...

Re: Furniture

Hi Jildy,
coming from Dublin, if you go to the first set of traffic lights as you enter the town (not the ones before you cross the river), take a left, then follow the road up to a roundabout and again take a left. After about 300 yards you will cross a train line, take the first right immediately after you cross the train line. At the end of this road you will see Star Furniture in front of you which is at the entrance to the estate.

Some other posts

machalla
Forde Furniture - Thumbs Up

I just thought I'd give a mention to Forde Furniture in Kilcock.

I ordered a bed, mattress and small suite from about 3 weeks ago. They warned me the bed might take 2-6 weeks to get in. About mid-way through the first week I got word to say the bed had come in and they expected to be able to deliver it the following monday. They called me to confirm delivery and it turned up that monday evening with no problems.

Its a family run business and I'd certainly recommend them based on this instance. The prices were good, furniture was nice and there was no messing involved.

Not to mention the owner who delivers the stuff himself is a character to say the least.

Their website is not that illustrative of the type of thing they have. They seem to have a much better stock of furniture onsite. The only problem is finding them as they are literally in the middle of nowhere it seems when driving

mooonlight
Unregistered User
Square Dining Tables

Hi, anyone know where I might get one of the above?

I would love a 5ft square dining table which looks chunky.

Most dining tables are rectangular and the only square one I have seen is in Arnotts but it is quite slim looking.

I hear there is a great furniture maker in the Kilkenny area (works with oak, I believe) but i've no idea of who he is or what the cost might be.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Rain
Unregistered User
Hardwood Tables

It could be Fineline Furniture in Wallslough Village near Kilkenny. Theres a map in the Golden Pages.

I think they will make tables to your own specification in most hardwoods.

I got a table (3 x 6 ft) and 6 chairs made there for about €1900

mooonlight
Unregistered User
Hardwood Tables

Thanks rain, that'll give me something to start with.

Were you pleased with your table & chairs?

Ceann Comhairle

You could have a look here www.furniture.ie/ Have seen them mentioned here in the past and they seem quite good.

PGD
Frequent poster
Re: Hardwood Tables

Hi,

I had a table custom made in G&A Pine in Malahide. It is a chunky, pine table, contemporary looking yoke. The chairs were beech and are a near perfect colour match, and very durable.

They made it to any size I wanted etc and got it all done for less then the chipboard/laminate crap you see in most shops these days.

Give them a call, I was able to choose all the
detailing/colour/size etc.

They do beech ones aswell but I think they stock a mix of bought-in tables and ones they make themselves, so you might not be able to customise all of them.

rain
Unregistered User
Hardwood Tables

Yes, very happy with the table and chairs. Very solid and will last. They have a showroom in Kilkenny and usually exhibit at the Ideal Homes if you wanted to have a look at what they can make.

Another post

sunnyday
Frequent poster
Cleaning leather suite

Anyone able to recommend a product/method to basically clean and freshen up a black leather suite?

sinead76
leather suite

I have a cream leather suite and all i've ever used on it is Jif. The how clean is your house ladies recommend going to a shop that supplies horseriding gear and buying saddle soap

sunnyday
Frequent poster
Re: leather suite

Thanks for the suggestions sinead.

Some other posts

carlowman
Buying furniture abroad

I am interested in taking a week off in October and hiring a van to take to France to buy some furniture for my house.... (I hope to kit out the house entirly with floor boards, tiles, paint, furniture, ornaments etc...)

Anyone know of some good furniture/electrical warehouses/shops close to the ferry ports.

What are the pit-falls if any for buying abroad....

Ikea

You should try Ikea

PMU
Re: Buying furniture abroad

I’m not certain if there are much savings to be had in hiring a van and going to France to buy furniture etc. The main problem of course is that you can’t take anything back if it doesn’t fit, work, or you need to match paints later, etc. and electrical goods have two-pin plugs. If you want to get an idea of what’s available, prices etc. check out www.castorama.fr and www.mr-bricolage.fr/. There’s a Castorama in Calais and most large French retail parks have a Mr. Bricolage (a sort of French version of Atlantic Homecare or Woodies). As far as I know the nearest IKEAs to the Channel ports are in Lille or Bruxelles. Most large French supermarkets (e.g. Carrefour) will have specials on electrical goods but in my experience apart from the specials you can get better deals in Ireland say from DID. I’d say go to France for a holiday and pick up things you can’t get in Ireland or that are different to enhance your house, rather than make a trip on spec. If you can’t find anything then just fill up the car with booze.

Laoise
france

There's a M. Bricolage just outside Roscoff and a large Leclerc as well. The nearest IKEA in this direction is in Nantes, and it's in an enormous retail area with all kinds of other stores as well. The centre is called Atlantic or Atlantis or maybe Maritime or something similar - check the IKEA home page.

Re: >>Furniture

I have been looking around Dublin for chinese/asian style furniture. I am particularly looking for two small lacquer cabinets to fit in alcoves. I was browsing the web in pursuit when I came across a web site selling chinese antiques on line. Now I don't mind whether they are real antiques or reproductions but I was wondering how reliable it might to go this route? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

laila said:
I have been looking around Dublin for chinese/asian style furniture. I am particularly looking for two small lacquer cabinets to fit in alcoves. I was browsing the web in pursuit when I came across a web site selling chinese antiques on line. Now I don't mind whether they are real antiques or reproductions but I was wondering how reliable it might to go this route? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

There is a small section in Arnotts..on the ground floor near the Bedlinen/Crystal departments that sell oriental style furniture and knick-knacks....might be worth a try

I just bought an apartment in Ashbourne and I went everywhere (except under my nose) looking for furniture. Blanchardstown is awful and i agree with Car about Beechmount in Navan.
Found the prices to be about the same as Dublin, but it was handy having all the shops in the one place.

But just on Saturday I finally took a look at the places around Ashbourne (still looking for a bookcase) and there was one place that was really really good (I swear they're not paying me commission). It's Ashbourne Flooring and Furnture, Unit 4 Rathcross Retail park. Basically as your on your way from dublin it's on the far side of ashbourne on the left. They have this big building with three floors and all these nooks and crannies filled with furniture. I wasn't really looking at beds but everything else, dining tables, sofas and stuff were all really good value. They had some really unique stuff -check out the funky banana chair!!

To be honest i left devastated that I have most of my stuff bought already!

Back