Key Post: Gates - Wooden/Metal

J

janeymac

does anyone know where I can buy a wooden side gate for a semi detached house?
Do I have to get one made to fit the passageway? If so can anyone recommend someone in the Clondalkin area (or at least in Dublin?).
Also more or less how much would you expect to pay for them to make and fit it?
Thanks
janeymac

Re: WOODEN SIDE GATE

To get someone to make and fit it would cost you about 250. You could do it yourself for about 70-80.
Thereis a place on the Naas road which sells sheds (you see them on the left as you head into town). They might do them there, or at least know of someone who will.

side gate

There are 2 large adds in the northside people one is
'side gate man' - side gate for 160 fitted.

side gate

O kelly sawmills in rathfarnham.. got one last week, ordered & fitted within a week €180.. great job

Some other posts

podge
Automatic Gates

Can anyone offer advice on automating driveway gates ? Best system to use - underground / overground ? Idea of cost ? Recommended installers ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Henny Penny
gates

Hi Podge

We had automatic gates in our last house. They used an underground system ... and gave nothing but trouble. The remote sensors were unreliable. The company we used was ADT ... you will find them in the phone book ... but I will not recommend them. Service, price etc. was not very good. That being said ... it was 10 years ago so hopefully things have moved on since then.

Henny

podge
Automatic Gates

Thanks Henny for the useful info.

elderdog
Frequent poster
Re: Automatic Gates

If you do decide to put these things in please consider what you are going to do in the event of a power failure...

heinbloed1
Automatic gates

.....and that the fire brigade has to get in as well,even when no one is at home to show them the secret switch.

sunnyday
Frequent poster
Automatic gates

If you do decide to put these things in please consider what you are going to do in the event of a power failure
They should have a simple key operated switch which allows the gates to be opened manually in this case.

extopia
Frequent poster
Re: Automatic gates

Yes, my advice would be to forget about the automatic gates. Why use automatic gates anyway -- just get out of the car and open them manually! Good exercise. There are far too many "gated communities" going up around Ireland anyway!

sunnyday
Frequent poster
Re: Automatic gates

Why use automatic gates anyway

Covenience, security (both for your property and your kids), privacy, to name but a few reasons. What's the harm with gated communities?

extopia
Frequent poster
Re: gates

>>What's the harm with gated communities?

Call me old-fashioned, but I find them offensive. The gates are there to keep the world out. The underlying assumption is that no one can be trusted. And that the occupants are somehow superior to all those on the "outside."

In other words, they can be construed as socially divisive.

sunnyday
Frequent poster
Re: gates

And that the occupants are somehow superior to all those on the "outside."
maybe not all those on the outside.

Some other posts

db2admin
Sidegate Painting

It is probably a bit late to start this but have only got a side gate this week. It is treated but not stained or painted, it has a sort of green hue off it. DIY shops have big 5 litre tubs of garden fence stain in various colours for around a tenner and also Sandolin/Ronseal exterior wood stain in 2.5 litre tins for around €40.
I was wondering if the cheaper option would do for a fence or if it would be better in the long run to use the more expensive finish.
Thanks

sueellen
Re: Sidegate Painting

We've used the Fencelife (€10) but it does not give the wood much protection. It needs to be applied at least once a year. Can't comment on the other product.

noelodea

Sueellen is correct,fencelife is only a water-based stain,not very good at that as it needs to be re-applied twice a year. Sadolin or Ronseal are a much better bet,more expenive,but they will protect the wood for a long time and will only needs a light re-application annually,Johnson's also do a good range,they should be able to advice you at any good hardware shop.

db2admin

Thanks, I might just get the more expensive stuff. Having to reapply it every year looks like a false economy. Also, I don't want it getting darker every year. I would rather spend the money now if it will last for a few years and have much the same colour.

ABYR
Side Door

Anyone know of anywhere to purchase a wooden side door for our garden?. Somewhere that comes out and fits it as well. In the Dublin area.

Doogo
Re: Side Door

company called first choice doors did a good job for my brother recently - came, measured up, showed choice of door, fitted and all on time, on price. tel # 451 7575

PMU
Side gate - Dublin

Hi, Does anyone know where I can get a side gate / side door in Dublin? I've tried all the usual door stores but nobody seems to make them.

GrahamP
Re: Side gate - Dublin

Call Mick @ 086 0880111. He supplied and fitted a side gate for me last week. I priced around and for quality you wont beat him. Tell him Graham from Home Design recommended him to you..

NathanielStarbuck
Nice metal gates

Anyone have any recomendations for somewhere that sells nice metal gates? Somewhere with a showroom that you can go and browse in? Within an hour of Dublin?

Thanks

EAMONN66
Frequent poster
gates

phoenix wrought iron

i bought gates from this company recently. 11ft x 8 ft arch design for 700euro fitted. very good quality and nicely designed. i got the number from a leaflet but they should be in the phone book.

Re: >>Gates - Wooden/Metal

Hi,

We're currently looking for good quality hardwoord side and driveway gates. North County Dublin / Drogheda area. Side gates are eight feet wide both sides (detached) and driveway about 12 feet wide. Got one quote for €4200!!!!

Any recommendations? Thanks.

Deccou,
Was looking for gates with similar dimensions myself. Came across these guys below. They are based in Offaly but they had a stand at Fingal Tractor and Vintage Car show during the summer so they must be looking for business in our neck o' the woods.

http://www.standishsawmills.ie/

Remember when they were featured on Prime Time some time ago for planning irregularities and environmental issues?

Carpenter said:
Remember when they were featured on Prime Time some time ago for planning irregularities and environmental issues?

no, care to enlighten us?

Standish Sawmills really are in the back of beyonds but the neighbours were kicking up over some Planning Permission or other that they only applied for at the last minute as far as I remember. They're outside Roscrea to be precise. Nice gates but I would imagine they're more for fencing and farm gates or large front gates rather than gates at the side of a house.

Coillte supply various wood products including gates. The link is

Back