Key Post Self Build / Timber Frame Houses.

S

sueellen

Here's an interesting site which I found; I thought I'd share in case anyone is thinking about selfbuild;

www.selfbuild123.co.uk

On the site, it mentions about timber frame houses which apparently are very popular with self-builders in the UK. They can be finished as usual in block or brick.

From what I've read, timber-framed houses seem to be quicker to build, and therefore cheaper to build, and have good thermal efficiency.

Does anyone know of any downsides to building a timber frame house, as opposed to a usual block house?

Link fixed by ClubMan.

cygnum

www.cygnum.ie

I have heard alot of good things, and judging by the number being built I think they are accounting for a big % of new starts... Irish construction is like a mammoth, moving very slowly and clutching old methods and bad mouthing anything new. Timber Frame Houses are well proven to be a success here..

SelfBuild / Timber Frame Houses

thanks for the links Drexxo and endowed. I hadn't noticed that thread before.

On that thread, "longfordian" stated;

QUOTE:
"They gave me a rough estimte of 17 euros per sq. ft. This does not include foundations, exterior block/stone, plumbing, electrical or interior finishes."

I hadn't had any quotes from anyone, but if 17 euros per sq.ft. is anyway accurate, then this sounds like a reasonable price.

Does anyone know what the per sq.ft. cost might end up at after *including* foundations, exterior block/stone, plumbing, electrics. (for fairly standard finishes).

I know it's impossible to give anything accurate; but would anyone know an approximate range per sq.ft.?

Timber frame

Purplesox,

I got a quote back from them last week. It is about 31,000 euros plus 9,000 to erect for a 2,200 sq. ft. two storey house. If you want a breakdown leave your e-mail and I will forward the details.

Timber frame

thanks longfordian,

if you can mail any details my e-mail is:

[email protected]

on their website when you get a "quick quote", and it states, for example, Euro 31,000 + VAT @ 13.5% is this "quick quote" amount just for the materials to construct the house, and including construction on site of just the frame of the house.

I think this is what it means.

Re: Timber frame

What does everyone think of the propaganda that is that ad on the TV telling us that 'concrete homes are better built homes'?

Timber frame

I have not seen that ad, but I suppose it can take a little while for some people to adapt to anything different.

I know people in Scotland who would have no interest in a concrete block house, as a concrete block house can be very cold and difficult to heat.

I know they would only buy a house after ensuring that it is a timber frame house.

Timber frame

anyone know of the websites of any other companies in Ireland who deal in/manufacture wooden frame houses?

Timber frame

Here are a few more timber frame companies.

[broken link removed]
www.ijm.ie/
[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]
www.youngerhomes.com/
[broken link removed]

I would be interested in hearing what the TV ad has to say about timberframe. Many traditional builders are bad mouthing timber frame as they see it as a threat I suspect.

Timber frame

Does anyone know approximately what it might cost to complete one of the Century houses with all the extras required i.e.foundations, plumbing, electrical, painting, roof tiles etc.

Do you think it would cost about the same amount as the original frame would cost?

Or what might it cost per sq.ft. to complete it after frame has been built?

I would be interested in hearing what the TV ad has to say about timberframe. Many traditional builders are bad mouthing timber frame as they see it as a threat I suspect.
It's an animated clip that shows a family at home, shivering with the cold and things falling through the floor. The voice-over says they should have checked it it was a concrete-built home...

Timber frame

But surely it's block houses which are colder than timber frame houses?

If anyone thinks wooden frame houses are in any way inferior, have a look at this house;

[broken link removed]

That's a wooden frame house; I'd rather live in this, than a concrete block house.

But surely it's block houses which are colder than timber frame houses?

Concrete block or timber surely the key issue is how efficiently insulated the house is (e.g. dry lining or cavity insulation using glass fibre, polystyrene, insulated attic etc.)?

Sound Proofing in Timber Frame houses

I rented a room in a semi-d timber frame house. I could hear everything that was going on next door and frequently thought that there was someone upstairs in my house when in fact, they were thumping around upstairs next door. I could also clearly hear conversations going on outside on the street when sitting in the living room. None of my doors or windows were open.

Whatever about whether they are warmer or colder, their sound proofing leaves a lot to be desired.

Sound Proofing in Timber Frame houses

though if someone is building their own house it will almost certainly be detached, so there should not be any problem here.

"I got a quote back from them last week. It is about 31,000 euros plus 9,000 to erect for a 2,200 sq. ft. two storey house. If you want a breakdown leave your e-mail and I will forward the details. "

Longfordian
could you send on the quote you got to [email protected]
as i am also thinking of building a timber frame house in the longford area...!!!

Timber

A friend of mine had a timber framed house built last year.

I have to say his experience was very positive.

He got the guy that wrote Bungalow Bliss to draw up plans and a company called envirohomes (I think) to build.

Very fast, very cheap if I recall (c€100K for a fully furnished 3 Bed with garage bungalow), also very well insulated.

Timber framed house builder

Just wondering does anybody know a builder in Wexford that would build a timber framed house for me?

Back