Key Post Trees

S

sueellen

Hi

A neighbour recently cut down a row of trees in his garden which provided screening and privacy. The garden seems really bare now, not to mention the fact that I can see into the houses opposite us.

I need to replace the trees on my side of the wall with some tall conifers, probably 3 or 4. The problem is that I do not wish to lose too much of my garden i.e. planting conifers 3 ft from the wall to allow for outward growth, in total losing about 7 ft from the garden.

Does anyone know of a type of conifer (all year screening) with a narrowish base, but with sufficient bushiness (??) to provide screening. Ideally something that can be planted relatively near to the wall, that can be trimmed back up to a height of six foot.

Advice, price and availability would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

What about a Copper Beech Hedge?

I would recommend a row copper beech trees to form a hedge. It would provide year round cover, in winter the leaves go a burnt orange / brown colour. Although, i don't think that they are quick growers. But they will attract wildlife to your garden and are enviromentally friendly.

I think you are entitled to make someone trim a hedge if you can prove it is blocking light from your house....so if you plant them back down be sure your neighbour won't try and claim that

But you have no right to a view...

screening

Hedges take a while to grow - maybe in the meantime some quick growing pampas grass would provide a bit of privacy. They have those thick plumes which provide screening without being very heavy and can reach 1.5 to 2m fairly quickly.

Leylandi trees

Get some leylandi trees in. They grow like the bejaysus if you dont trim them regular but they are great for privacy etc. They can go to 30 feet + if you let them get the better of you. Neighbours, you can live with them and you cant live without them...

Garden screening

How about some bamboos. Personall I love them and they grow fast and they make a lovely sound/sight when the wind blows thourhg them. They really spread like wildfire, so you when planting you need to suround their roots so they don't stray into your entire garden.

Euclaptyus trees grow fast too, but grow really tall, so mightn't be suitable. Spring flowering plums are great tress, not evergreen but have leaves late into winter, and nice flower in early spring. Grows fast and not too talk too. Red Robin would be called a shurb not a tree, but it too looks great all year around, not sure if it's a fast grower.

Good luck.

Re: Garden screening

Bamboo and leylandii are one way tickets to a lifetime of warring with your garden and your neighbours! They both grow like crazy and will spread/grow to totally overwhelm your average suburban garden unless you're prepared to dedicate yourself to keeping them under control (and even then you're on to a losing battle!). For instance, apparently the only way to prevent bamboo spreading and taking over is to surround the plant with a large trench into which you have to sink an impermeable barrier e.g. paving slabs turned on their edge.

For year-round cover that doesn't encroach on the rest of your garden you might consider erecting a trellis and trailing a evergreen climber. I highly recommend Solanum Jasminoides Album (synm. Solanum Laxum I think). It has pretty dark green evergreen leaves with really lovely white jasmine-like flowers (sadly they aren't perfumed) which last from late spring through to winter (depending on how sheltered a location they're planted in. They will happily grow in a eastern or southerly aspect but my experience is that they'll pretty much take off wherever you put them (so long as theres a bit of sun at least part of the day). And boy, do they grow! You can practically see them grow!

Other climber suggestions would be an evergreen clematis such as clematis armandii. Check out www.crocus.co.uk for lots of other ideas. Just beware of the 'rampant' plants as they can become a curse and as they get bigger can end up being a bigger and bigger headache to maintain, especially if they encroach on your neighbours' space and light. What you carry home in a plant pot from the garden centre and trim with a secateurs today may require a chainsaw and crane to manage next year!

Happy gardening!

c

Neighbours

I am wondering -do neighbours have a right to tell you to cut down trees which they feel are blocking their light ? Can they contact the council who will enfoce this ?

boundary plants and neighbours

Eddie - Actually a 'test case' here in the UK recently led to legal definition of planting Leylandii at boundaries as a category of trespass, the things are so rampant. I don't know about RoI but here there ARE national and council bye-laws on appropriate planting. You can cut off any growth/branches which overhang your boundary/damage your fencing (but you must return them to the neighbour as they are their 'property'. There are "Rights of Light" under law so if trees/planting affects light in your house you have recourse in law. It's a tricky area though! A fellah here jumped into a neighbour's garden last year and cut down a Buddlea which had been allowed to grow rampant and was seeding itself all over HIS garden also........and he was fined a very large sum! As other posters have mentioned, wherever possible try to get your neighbours to cooperate as taking action yourself, or going to law, can be timeconsuming and produce bad feelings.

Or try Crab Apple trees for flowers and berries.

A couple of recommendations. The shrub called AUCUBA is a beautiful shrub that will grow to about 7'. My one has yellow spotted leaves but an even nicer one is a variety called Japonica Variegata, a female variety with red berries. It can be drastically pruned if necessary and recovers almost immediately.

If you are looking for a conifer have a look at J.virginiana "Skyrocket", a narrow pencil shaped conifer, blue grey foliage, will grow 15' after 10 years.

My own favourite is a shrub called RED ROBIN with beautiful red leaves. Makes a great hedge but will require pruning.

Buying Trees

The Western Red Cedar, with dark blue/green pine type needles can be clipped to 6 inches thickness. It is the best for a narrow hedge

Some other posts

kerinsp
lining the driveway with trees

Any ideas for lining the drive way with some nice trees. I like the cherry blossom type trees that are in bloom at the moment and they dont get too big. My idea is to have about 3 or 4 trees along the drive maybe on both sides.

Any ideas?

Grizzly
They attract the blackbirds.

Crab apples will give beautiful blossoms similar to cherries at this time of year but the bonus is in the winter with 4 months of beautiful red crab apples. I think the variety that I have are called John Downey.

Red Squirrel
Watch out

That you dont pick a type that likes to have surface roots.

Otherwise with time your drive will be nothing but bumps & roots

Means avoiding cherries among others

sueellen
Re: lining the driveway with trees

You might get some info from www.garden.ie/ or [broken link removed]

Kilteragh
Re: lining the driveway with trees

Also be careful not to plant trees with powerful root systems too close to the house as they can undermine the foundations. My parents had Silver Birches (I think) and they had to be taken up before thay caused serious damage.

onekeano
Advice on buying tree(s)

Want to buy one or possibly 2 trees to be planted in a communal area on my road. Ideally something substantial or something that will become substantial fairly quickly. We just removed a nice cherry blossom that was diseased.

Any advice would be appreiciated on the following:
- What are the best choices for low maintenance between 15-20 ft?
- When is the best time to plant?
- Any idea of approximate cost?
- Where is the best place to buy - I'm on Northside (Dublin)

Thanks
Roy

heinbloed1
T(h)ree for the road

Since the cherry tree died it wouldn't be a good idea to use some other tree of the prunus family.But in general it is the right approach to plant a fruiting tree,it is good for the environment and it would have some educational benefit as well.What about a pear tree?Most varieties from the garden center are staying reasonably small,"Conference" for example .It would not grow too dense so it would not be blown over by the wind and the children could learn how ripe a fresh fruit can be if it doesn't come from the supermarket shelf.Staking is required only for the first year.

sunnyday
Frequent poster
Re: T(h)ree for the road

Try Future Forests for buying all sorts of plants/trees.

PGD
Frequent poster
Re: T(h)ree for the road

when you are leaving Swords, heading north, just before you get to the m1 interchange, there is a place on the LHS selling trees.

They are very helpful.

askew70
Re: Advice on buying tree(s)

I have bought trees from a nursery just before scalp (on the road to Enniskerry, just across from the ski slope/hotel). It was a while back so I don't remember what types of tree that they had. I seem to remember that they had a good range though. Some of them are quite large, and they were good value.

The nursery in Newlands Cross also has quite a few trees I think, including a range of fruit trees.

demoivre
Re: Advice on buying tree(s)

Has anyone on here bought stuff from www.futureforests.net/ and had it posted to them? They seem like good value and have a great range of trees/ shrubs etc. but I just can't imagine 75 Laurel hedge plants arriving through the letter box
Thanks for the link Sunnyday.

Bren
Which trees to plant

Want to plant trees along back wall to stop us being overlooked. Its a small garden though so I don't want to plant trees that will take up too much ground space which evergreens seem to do i.e. they spread out too far at the bottom. Also don't want them to get too high and block sunlight. Any suggestions? Was thinking of silver birch . How about fruit trees - that might be nice.

Monkey0804
Re: Which trees to plant

There should be a good few trees that would fit that bill. Try talking to your local garden centre and they should be able to advise you (there one at Newlands cross that have excellent staff if that's anywhere near you).

I'd a spring flowering plum in last house - grows to about 14/16 feet high and has some color most of the year (not an evergreen). You can get these tall slender fir trees that I don't know name of (cyprus?), that look great. Supposedly Eucalyptus trees are suitable for small-ish gardens. Cherry blossoms are lovely but have a relatively short bloom time, and are dull for rest of year.

Good luck.

sherman
Re: Which trees to plant

Birches are great. Also try something like ash - native, wildlife friendly, and compact.

What about hedging - privet will easily grow to 20 feet and provides a dense hedge, or for more security pyracantha will grow that high, with vicious thorns, and beautiful white scented flowers in summer followed by bright, bird friendly berries in winter.

Eucalyptus can grow absolutely enormous quite quickly - beware!!

A brilliant free service is the Royal Horticultural Society's PlantFinder at www.rhs.org.uk/

Bren
Trees

Thanks, lots of info there so it'll be hard to make decision! Will visit garden centre. Have to cut down very tall evergreens which will leave big gap and shock neighbours so will need to plant something quick to take their place. We plan to let neighbours behind us know we're cutting them down before we do it out of politeness.

Sueellen

Another site that has been recommended here by others is

Some other posts

Henny Penny
Frequent poster
Planting old Christmas trees

... has anyone done this with sucess?

sluice44
Very frequent poster
Re: Planting old Christmas trees

I suspect the answer is no.

But it's amazing what you can find on google, eg, Ohio Christmas Tree Producers Manual. You'll be better prepared for the year 2010!

ajapale
Re: Planting old Christmas trees

During the 1970's we got a little christmas tree complete with roots. Each new year we planted it out in the back garden. We stopped bringing it in some time in the early eighties. Its now nearly 10m high and still growing. It is a sitka spruce.
ajapale

Henny Penny
Frequent poster
... christmas trees

... I thought I heard somewhere that you could replant your Christmas tree ... and it would grow roots ... in spite of having being cut 4 weeks ago ... maybe I am totally wrong ... just asking

Some other posts

penang
Felling a Poplar

I have a couple of poplar trees in the garden that have started to break up in the wind ( must be too old or something). A couple of fairly large branches fell down the other night and had they hit something important I could have been in trouble.....

I want to remove this tree and was wondering if any AAM readers had ever tried this? Should I just leave it to an expert and pay a huge sum?

Thanks

Penang

ajapale
Re: Felling a Poplar

I'd leave it to an expert. Large trees take up a huge quantity of water. When you fell them typically the ground can swell with the excess water causing structural damage.
ajapale

Elderdog
Penang

What are you doing growing poplars in the jungle ?

Mistake them for rubber trees ?

If you are not experienced in tree felling then FFS get a tree man to do it.

I can think of two people that I knew who a different times killed themselves while cutting their own trees....

eDog

penang
Re: Penang .....

Thank yew all!

I guess I need the help of a professional. Can anyone recommend a good tree surgeon in Dublin?

Penang

elderdog

What area of Dublin ?

ajapale
Very frequent poster

You also need to be aware of power lines.

This uk site in powerpoint is interesting:
[broken link removed]

Sorry I dont know any good tree surgeons/ lumber jacks.

ajapale

penang
Re: ..Tree Surgeon

Elderdog,

I live in Churchtown (A right Jungle at times)

Thanks
P.

elderdog

Perhaps Mr King ( 'King Tree Services', I think ). He did a job for me many years ago - good job well done. He seemed to know every tree in Dublin & WIcklow !

Even back then he had gear for grinding stumps & chipping waste.

Havnt used him of late because he gave up doing work that involved travel to the northside

Dont know his phone number but it must be in the ( yellow ) pages.

eDog

Lumberjack
Cutting down tree

Hi

Have a large tree at the bottom of my garden that blocks out a lot of sunlight. I'm thinking about having it cut down.

Do I have to apply to the Forest Service or whoever for permission?

Secondly, any idea on how much it would cost to have it taken down by a professional tree surgeon?

Thirdly, anybody recommend a wood cutter?

L J

elderdog
re : anybody recommend a wood cutter?

Give us a clue..... where you are located ?

LumberJack
Wood Cutter

Kildare North - Celbridge

legend99

From experience its a bloody dangerous job...bring in an expert!!!

Is there any magic spray one can just aim at a tree that at least kills it and stops it growing any more as one decides what to do in a situation like this?

heinbloed
cutting large tree

In the EU large trees(was it 14cm diameter at 1m hight?) in urban areas are protected,you need a permission .I don't know if that had been translated into Irish law.

The Woodcutter
Tree felling

Under the 1946 Forestry Act, a felling licence from the Forest Service is needed before a tree can be felled.

However (there always a however), if the tree is within 100 feet of a dwelling and the local authority has not placed a preservation order on the particular tree, the tree can be chopped.

Spacer

Terry Shaw (Shaw Tree Services, I think) of Main Street Palmerstown. Not sure of the number but it's in the Golden Pages.

I've used him before - a good guy - he'll see you right.

Henny Penny

Why don't you get a tree surgeon to lift the crown instead of felling the whole tree?

Some other posts

nmitchell
Tree Transplant

I have a 2.5 year old mountain ash in my rear garden. It was potted for its first year and them planted in the garden 16 months ago. Is it too late to transplant it to another part of the garden?? If not, anyone any advice on to move it??

Henny Penny
Frequent poster
tree transplant

Hi
I think it should be okay to move this tree while it's still dormant ... dig the new hole first before you dig it up. Give it lots of water after the move.

I move things all the time in the garden ... what's the worst that can happen ... it dies ... buy a new one.
HP

legend99
Very frequent poster

Freezing week forecast by met Eireann...maybe its not a good time to move when its predicted that ground temp could drop as low as -9, -10!!!

Marie
Very frequent poste
moving tree

Best to wait until the soil has warmed up - April/May time.

heinbloed1
mountain ash

Keep in mind that a mountain ash releases substances via the root system influencing the growth/germinating of nearly anything else.Find one growing naturally and examine the undergrowth-there won't be much to be examined.

digger
roots

hi all.Have a small back garden and have planted 2 fruiting cherry trees approx 25 feet from house.
Was wondering if the roots in years to come would affect foundations of house or cause any other problems?

Marie
roots

Hello Digger! The root-system usually mirrors the tree's span which is roughly half the above-ground height. Wild Cherry can reach 30', so maximum spread 15' = root-system maximum 15'.

digger
roots

Thanks Marie..very helpful

heinbloed
cherrys

Hi digger!
Marie is right with her calculations . One other point to keep in mind is that nature has nothing to waste , meaning if there is no food (fertilizer) or water than the roots simply won't go there . Except the soil is very rocky , so the roots would search for a hold fast ,but that is unusual in a garden . B.T.W. , which variety of cherrys have you planted ? I have had success with Napoleon-Biggareau , but they seem to demand a lot of water , maybe that is just because they are to young .

stobear
Frequent poster
Re: cherrys

We planted trees in my first house, the spec said they would grow to about 30 feet , however once they hit 30 feet they kept growing and have been trimmed about 6 times in 3 years, otherwise they would interfere with low flying aircraft, I would be suspicious of these specs!!

nixer
cherry trees

Should also note the positions of drains relative to the trees.

Roots can be attracted to leaking pipes or pipes with condensation. They can also change the soil volume near existing drains, causing movement and possible leaking of the pipework. Ideally, if you are planting near drains, these should be modern, flexible jointed pipes.

For cherry trees (v. shallow roots) the spread is in the order of 6m.. The guidelines state that for a distance of 11m or greater, the roots of the cherry tree are unlikely to affect the property.

These are only rules-of-thumb, as the depth of foundations and nature of the soil (clay is the main culprit) are factors also.

digger
cherry trees

Trees i planted were STELLA(dessert cherry)grows to 12 or 35ft and MORELLA grows to 15 or 20 feet.
Planted 25ft from house.
Going by Nixer spread 6m=20feet....safe there.....but 11 m over 35 ft....ooopssss the roots will be comming up my toilet bowl !!!!

heinbloed
cherrys

thanks nixer!

Westbound
Roots!!

To revisit this topic, I would like to plant some trees near a boundary wall (7 -8 ft high, made of blocks). The trees I am considering are white stem silver birch, labernum (golden rain), purple leaf plum and maybe yellow rowan. All apprently grow to about 16ft, so thier spread should afford the privacy we want, without costing in terms of light.

How close to the wall could I go and would roots cause problems with the wall's foundation? Neighbours have planted trees close to the wall, specifically those horrible leylandi, but maybe no-one has considered the effect on the wall? I would be concerned at it toppling over at some point.

heinbloed
trees

Laburnum has poisonous seeds , so be careful.Silver birch grows certainly over 16 feet,in Scandinavia they make structural timber and furniture from it (sauna cabins for example).Birches can dry out the surrounding soil and raising boarder plants around them could be a problem when they get older/bigger.But if you keep your trees by pruning at the height of 16ft than toppling over should not be a big problem.

Need a quick fix!

Hi there - we've just bought a house second hand and are doing up the back garden at the moment. The garden is North facing so in the evenings we get some nice sun in from the left hand side.

The problem is these awful big bright green evergreens that are on the left, beside the boundary wall with the neighbours and I feckin hate the sight of them! (I think they're leylandi). There's two which are about 10 feet high.

My problems are:
1. they block out sunlight in the evenings
2. they're horrible
3. they're growing into one another and as a result are pretty much rotten at the bottom and in the middle

However, they provide good privacy. To be honest the privacy thing isn't a big deal for us and I'd be happy enough to chop em out of it, but I don't want to annoy the neighbours as it obviously provides privacy for them as well.

Would appreciate some opinions on what to do...... What I'm thinking at the moment is:
a. chop em down!
b. replace with a couple of tall saplings which would at least look like we're trying to maintain a boundary (there's also a fence there btw). This may sound like a stupid question but can I buy and plant a mature-looking 10ft tree? Is it expensive?
c. explain nicely to the neighbours what we're doing and why.

Anyway any help would be appreciated (when in doubt, turn to AAM......!)

SOJ

Re: >>Trees

Provided you are realy only interested in the two " ornamental " Leylandis and not going to chop an entire hedge at this time of the year you could try to prune the existing two trees stongly down to the stem . Leylandy are heavy takers , so think about canopycing or something like that. It is important to check for nests of mice or birds since the job should be done before St.John .

Hi, I work in the holticulture field and i also teach hort. A tree that find is a brilliant screen is PYRUS chantileccer. Almost evergreen, nice glossy foliage, flower in late spring, great autumn colour. Plant about 4 feet apart.

heinbloed:
you could try to prune the existing two trees stongly down to the stem
I looked at the trees over the weekend with the intention of pruning but unfortunately they look completely dead on the inside. There had been a number of shrubs underneath and beside the trees (which I cleared out), that had grown into them over time and "killed" the underside or part of the side of both of them. I think they may be basket cases unfortunately!

bobsoap05:
A tree that find is a brilliant screen is PYRUS chantileccer
Thanks for the tip, I'll have a look out for them.

Ginko Bilboa

Ginko Bilboa: Where in Ireland can I source this beatiful and ancient tree? If anyone knows or has any useful information I would be pleased to hear it. ajapale

Back