Key Post Lawn care

S

sueellen

Moss a problem in your grass. Sulphate of Iron kills overnight. 2.5 kilos in Woodies, Sandyford, Euro 6. In Tesco, Stillorgan ,Euro 10.

Happy Zapping

Griz :p

Re: Moss is a real problem on the driveway

Grizzly

Any suggestions?

Marion :hat

Re: Moss is a real problem on the driveway

Thanks for this.. how would the Sulphate of Iron compare to using Lawn Sand (which I had planned to use)?

Now I think that the LS contains a lawn feed also - does SoI contain nutrients?

N3000

moss

Would Sulphate of iron remove moss from tarmac?

Moss

Yup, it's that time of the year again, when we start to think about the garden.

Sulphate of Iron will kill moss very effectively. It does not contain nutrients.
Lawn sand, and a range of similar products will kill moss, and some weeds, and fertilise the lawn all in one go.

When you have killed the moss, you need to rake it out. This may leave large bare patches that need to be reseeded. To prevent the moss from reappearing next year you should treat the area prior to reseeding by spiking it with a fork or a spiker, and fill the holes with fine sand. This will improve the drainage in the area. Poor drainage is the most common cause of moss.

Regarding driveways and patios, there is a range of proprietary products available in garden centres and Woodies which will deal with this for you. If you have pets, be sure to check the label to ensure it is not harmful to pets.

Something to do on a Sunday...

I used the lawn sand with additives last year. This does the trick but is about 4 times dearer than Sulphate of Iron on its own. Sulphate of Iron is almost instant at killing the moss. I haven't tried it on the footpaths yet but this weekend I am going to give it a go and I will report back.

Griz :x

Re: Something to do on a Sunday...

Most informative - thanks for the advise!

sulphate of iron

Be carefull when using SOI as it can leave nasty stains on hands and clothes.Also use lukewarm water
to dissolve it works better.Wear gloves.

Re: sulphate of iron

The other thing to watch out for when using Sulphate of Iron is to be careful not to splash it on any concrete surface when/if mixing it with water as it leaves a brown/rusty stain which is practically impossible to get off!

I have tried everything to get rid of mine but to no avail. :\

SOI

If you want to what I do is to mix the SOI with a fertalizer (bag of 10-10-20 that was lying around in the shed for years)or else try a bucket of dry sand, this allows the SOI to be applied fairly evenly and is a cheaper alternative to lawn sand, then rake out the moss...must do it this weekend..

Re: SOI

Hi,
After raking out the moss, then spiking etc - should grass seed be spread immediately?

Regards,
N3000

Pleased as Punch

Pleased to report all of the moss in my grass completely gone. It took a couple of days to turn black. Then it had to be raked out. I biought a leaf rake in Tesco's for about 10 Euro, did a great job. The lawn is looking good.
Also Tesco's have now reduced their price to match Woodies.

:D

Re: Pleased as Punch

ditto - it worked well - can also confirm the warning from Endowed that it does stain the concrete & is not removable (hmmmm!)
N3000

moss etc.

Any ideas on how to improve drainage.

I have a "lawn" (it used to be a few years ago, now very rough), and an adjoining field, both of which I am going to have dug up and reseeded.

Is there anything that shoudl be done before the new lawn is laid to aid drainage. It is now very damp in spots and moss grows readily.

Also, any idea of cost? It is about three quarters of an acre - I need old lawn killed, taken up, dug (presumably) and resown. Are we talking remortgage type figures?! Galway area, if that makes any difference.

Re: Drainage etc.

A good lawn book available from most good garden centers will cost You about ?12 - I would recommend The Lawn Expert by D.G. Hessayo. It will save You alot in time & money if You follow it.

The book has a section on setting new lawns including the best way to avoid drainage problems. This includes laying courses of stones & pebbles below to surface layer of top soil. I don't know how much it would cost.

Second piece of advice is to quote around with a number of landscapers. Don't necessarily go with the cheapest. Explain thre problem & ask for his solution. Find out where he will be getting his 'top quality' top soil. Make sure You ref check him, see his work & talk to some people who have had similar work conducted by him.

You may think that this is an excessive thing to do but keep in mind that You will end up looking at his masterpiece every day. So it is really worth the effort. I know - I've met the best cowboy in the landscaping world - but that's another story.....

The final thing to keep in mind is that no matter how good the landscaper is, a lawn needs alot of care ie needs proper feeding every season to avod weed problems. There is more work in it than looking after flower beds! (my experience anyway). But when it turns out OK it gives great satisfaction (assuming You are into gardening to some degree anyway).

Anyhow - hope this has been of some benefit.
N3000

grass moss etc.

Many thanks N3000, I really appreciate it. I'll buy that book straight away.

Re. landscapers, do you know if there is any qualification that they should have, or maybe a body to which reputable ones are affiliated?

Thanks again.

Re: >>Grass seed

soylentgreenISpeople
Grass seed/Lawn care.

Purchased some fix and repair grass seed last year that never grew despite following all the instructions. Thought it was just me. This year bought the same product and it still won't grow. The grass seed is coated in a feed product that makes the surrounding grass thick and green but the seed just lies there ...dead. Anyone else having problems with useless grass seed?

MissRibena
Grass seed

I bought Sutton seeds grass seed which is coated with some seaweed nutrients or other and sounds like the one you describe. It grew really well. In fact, the first green fuzz was up in 7 days.

Rebecca

Penny Foolish
seed

I put grass seed down for a new lawn, but the seed didn't seem to germinate until it was covered over. I just sprinkled a thin layer of brown gold over the whole lawn and it came up really quickly. It could be just coincidence and the seed would have germinated anyway, but it's worth a try if you're having problems. Water it daily too.

hidden3
Grass seed

what is brown gold ?

Penny Foolish
dirt

I think it's just a brand name. It's stuff you dig into your soil, like digging in manure to enrich the soil. I don't know if it actually works. I bought the bag by mistake one day - thought I was buying potting compost - I think you can use it for potting too.

soylentgreenISpeople
Everything is coming up roses.

I actually put a light sprinkling of John Innes on top of the seed but it still didn't work. I have tried various combinations in different parts of the garden but no luck. I guess it must be the seed. In future I think I will just buy the cheapo stuff. Everything else is growing just great though. The Laburnum is spectacular, the purple clematis, the white roses, the lavender and broom. Just the bald patches on an otherwise pristine weedless lawn.

Tall Chapy
Frequent poster
Re: Everything is coming up roses

Can anybody recommend an 'aggressive' type grass for north facing garden. Something like buffalo grass.

gerry
Frequent poster
Except the grass that is

Try Turf. Expensive but hassle free. Turf queries

Unregistered User
Grass seed.

Horray! I sowed some Mr. Middleton grass seed last week and noticed that it's starting to germinate this morning. The were a lot of mossy patches on the lawn which I raked out thoroughly, disturbed the top of the soil lightly with a fork, threw down the seed, covered with a thin layer of home made compost and kept well watered with a garden sprinkler every evening.

mickeyg
Unregistered User
Newly Laid Lawn

I have just had a lawn laid and there are thick weeds coming through the grass. Anyone have advice on laying a weedkiller and/or should I mow the grass or is it too early to do so??

Thanks

Tintagel
Should have bought an apartment.

Best thing to do is purchase one of the weed picker implements and pick them by hand. You could buy some Verdone and paint it on the leaves of the weeds with a paintbrush. Lots of hard work but enjoyable in a sort of way. A light mowing with the blades on 4 setting should be o.k.

Unregistered User
Should have bought an apartment.

Pulling them out as above is the most efficient approach. Stubborn roots can be killed by pouring ordinary table salt directly on the spot.

ninsaga
Frequent poster
Re: Should have bought an apartment.

Verdone might be a bit severe for a newly laid lawn.

It is quite common for some varieties of weeds to appear on a new lawn.

A particular variety which sprouts up is the common chickweed. These will die off after the first cut - so as unsightly as they are for a while bare with them.

Other varieties you should just pull up by hand. Now on sme newly laid lawns the earth has not yet settled & if You step on it you just leave deep foot prints. To avoid that,, lay down a wide plank & walk across it.

ninsaga

mickeyg
Ginormous Weeds

I have a house on a half acre with most of the area behind the house. Problem is that the back has been let run wild and the weeds are high, everywhere and very unsightly.
I would like to lay in lawn but I presume will have to wait until next year!
Meanwhile what is the best thing to do at this stage - spray and try to kill the weeds or what??

m

D
Weeds

Spray the weeds and leave it for six weeks. The you need to rotivate the ground and sow grass seed. Although I think the optimum time for sowing grass may be September but I stand to be corrected on that one.

Monkey0804
Re: Weeds

Plant a field of spuds!. Great for the soil - mainly due the digging involved in sowing and harvesting.

mickeyg
Weeds

With what should I spray the weeds - weedkiller, I presume, but what is best? Would I need one of those spray thngies you mount on your back as it is an extensive area to cover and they are very thick and big?

Thanx

legend99
Very frequent poster

Roundup kills anything growing that it touches but not the soil. Something like Pathclear kills the soil as well, Be aware that Roundup takes 3/4 weeks to work, Pathclear virtually works overnight.
And don't but the branded stuff in somewhere like Woodies. Buy a much bigger quantity that is unbranded in somewhere like a farmer supplys, proper garden centre etc. Just tell them what you need. I think the actual chemical is glyosophate in Roundup, paraquet or something in pathclear.

Some other posts

oysterman
Digging out grass....what next?

One of my Easter projects (according to Mrs. Oysterman) is to dig out the relatively small amount of "lawn" (10 feet by 6 approx.) in our front garden.

2 questions:

What should I do to prevent re-growth of grass and weeds instantly...will ordinary weedkiller do or is there something heavy-duty I should use?

How long should I wait before planting shrubs/flowers etc. in the area?

Any help most welcome - know nothing about gardening.

legend99

Actually...funny enough...to kill it properly you should not have dug it oput at all...you should have applied Roundup...available in any local gardenshop/woodies etc.
This stuff kills anything it goes onto by being absorbed through the leaves and going into the roots. However, it does not kill the soil itself.....like Pathclear does....as it is inactivated on touching the ground.

Your problem is that you will have loads of roots/seed etc left...but you can't stop these growing back and can only apply roundup to kill them when they show a good leaf quantity.

P.S. I did exactly the same bloody thing...broke my ass digging everything out, it all grew back 6 weeks later and the nice lady in the garden shop mad eme look like a tool when she said just spray them with roundup and you don't need to bother digging!!!

stobear
Frequent poster

I have found even with chemicals that the grass always grows back, maybe in patches, but it does defeat the look you are trying to get. Get it done once with the roundup stuff but be prepared some a small amount of weeding/grassing (wd?)

Oysterman
Frequent poster

legend,

You've lived up to your name again.

No digging for me. A quick dose of roundup and I'll retire to my armchair with a well deserved cold beer.

Cheers!

legend99

God thinking back on it....I dug out on my hands and knees about 20 feet by 12 feet....and then when that garden centre girl told me I had watsed my time I nearly cried.

Having said that there was a bit of glass in there so I needed to get that out alright....

The roundup takes 2/3 weeks to kick in, maybe even longer in my experience but it does work alright.

elderdog
What you need is

Agent Orange

U.S. airforce used it 35 years ago and its still working.

BTW watch out that you dont need planning permission to remove your grass - a wile ago I saw someone apply for a path in their back garden

eDog

mossy
how to make a lawn

just bought a house and the 'garden' is in bits. The grassy area that might once have been a lawn is full of moss and wild scratchy grass. What do I have to do to get a new lawn? I presume I can't just dig this stuff under or it'll all come sprouting back again next year. But if I take it up, will I be left with little topsoil? It's in the city so can't even get rid of the stuff. Help!

Bren
Lawn

We've just spread powder stuff on our lawn thats meant to kill weeds but not the grass and fertilises the grass - you could try that - much easier than digging as well. not sure if it'd do the job but it might help! Bit of grass seed as well perhaps.

ninsaga
Frequent poster
Re: how to make a lawn

This book for less that €10 is an essential..."The lawn Expert" by D.G. Hessayon...

ninsaga

legend99
Very frequent poster
Roundup

Roundup will kill everything it touches but will not kill the soil. Avoids you havign to dig everything out.

sol

i was faced with a similar problem. i killed al the grass and weeds with a basic weedkiller. rotovated the garden, mixed in horticultural sand and peat and then laid turves. (not a big lawn so it wasnt too expensive)

Some other posts

onway
Remove grass from driveway?

The drieway of my house is looking very poorly at present with a sort of 'grass mould' growing on it !!!Does anyone know how I could remove it without damaging the tarmac??

Sueellen

You may find something useful here
www.pavingexpert.com/home.htm

EvilDoctorK
Frequent poster
Re: Remove grass from driveway?

Not quite sure what you mean by "Grass Mould" is ... I guess you mean a greeny kind of mossy growth that tends to spread on paving ... especially in damp areas of it ?

Use a pressure washer to remove the heavy stuff ..... labourious process to do it inch by inch but important to do it right.

Doing this removes the bulk of the heavy mould / growth .. but then it would be very important to treat it with a weedkiller/path cleaning product to stop it growing back

I've used "Jeyes Patio Cleaner" before - available in all Woodies/B&Q etc.

Once you've power washed it all off then if you clean it using this stuff every few months it shoudl be possible to keep the growth off it.

Daithi
Topsoil by the truckload - Where to get it

I'm looking for a lorry load of landfill. Needs to be soil but not extremly good quality. Its to fill in a slope at the back of my garden.
Can anyone tell me where i can get it. ie contact number. North Dublin/ Meath area.
I've tried several building sites but the quality is really bad from them.

sunnyday
Frequent poster
Re: Topsoil by the truckload - Where to get it

-
The small ads sections of local newspapers usually have loads (no pun intended) of adverts for top soil. Often when sites are cleared, there is an excess of soil, so the builder may be glad to get rid of a few loads, and get a few quid cash into the bargain. Check out the Meath Chronicle and any other local papers.

askew70
Re: Topsoil by the truckload - Where to get it

I have used Topsoil Services in the past. They are based in Dublin 8. They are listed here as "Baggo Gardening" (Tel: 01 4542299):

[broken link removed]
I don't recall how much they charged per tonne, but they had no problems delivering 7 tonnes to us on the bag of a lorry at one stage. The quality of the topsoil was not great (we were using it on our garden and spent a lot of time fishing out stones and weeds, although the remaining soil itself was okay), but it might be fine for your purposes. There are several other potential suppliers listed under the above link too. It is certainly worthwhile checking out local papers too, as already suggested.

Back