Key Post: Garden patio time

• Thread starter ChiefRobert
  • Start date
C

ChiefRobert

Hi all,

After reading many of the posts on here, I think I'm going to tackle putting down a little patio in the back garden myself. I've seen the www.pavingexpert.com/ link and it shouldn't be anything too back breaking as I am not doing a huge area...

However - just wanted to know where to get nice Paving Slabs in the Dublin area, and at what price. I took a trip to B&Q at the weekend and they have some slabs starting at €1.92 each, which look, well, cheap! Others then start to go up to €6.50 per slab.

I will probably need only 50 slabs in total - anyone know of any places with a good selection at a reasonable price?

Thanks!

Re: Garden patio time

Try Roadstone. I used them to get all my paving supplies for my patio including the bedding, sand and slaps.

C

Cheers Capaill,

Where exactly are Roadstone, and do they have a web site?

Thanks!

Roadstone

ChiefRobert

I had a small patio built by a gardener who was revamping my garden a few years back. When we were deciding on what stone to use he advised us that Roadstone were the only place who dyed their stone before setting it, i.e. other suppliers simply spray on the dye after the slabs have set. Gardener said that in a few years other "cheap" slabs would fade. I suppose this would only apply where you are going for a coloured slab.

Unfortunately we've since moved from that house so I don't know if the slabs ever did fade with weather etc.

Hope this helps when you making your decision.

On this topic - How would you go about getting a gardener to landscape your garden for you etc... - Does anybody know approx how much this would cost for a 3 bed semi-d size back garden.... approx - 6 metres x 12 metres.

ChiefRobert

Roadstones web site can be found here

I got my supplies from their office here
Roadstone Dublin Ltd.
Head Office
Fortunestown
Tallaght
Dublin 24

Ph : 01-4041200
Fx : 01-4041353

C

Thanks alot all...Will give them a try and fingers crossed I don't break my back on this!

come2ireland
Unregistered User
patio slabs

Anyone know where best value in these can be got?

Unregistered User
patio slabs

Er, where are you? I got some in Goslins in Cabra, Dublin 7 and they were cheap at the time (a couple of years ago) but I can't remember the exact price now...

come2ireland
Unregistered User
slabs

In west dub but i will travel as i need 100+

D
Unregistered User
Patio Slabs

Depends on the size but I've seen them in Woodies and BandQ recently for between €2.60 and €3.19 each - about one foot square.

Alternatively try Roadstone www.roadstone.ie/ - not sure if they do them but I got gravel from them recently and it was quite reasonable

hebe
Unregistered User
patio

Oldbridge in Drogheda that makes Bowland Stone offer very good value and super selection. Google - Bowland Stone and look for "Oldbridge".

come2ireland
Unregistered User

thanks guys

traleeman
laying patio

Patio novice here! can anybody give advise how to lay approx 15ft * 15ft patio,how far down do i dig and what do i need to lay down ie. sand, plastic etc. Much appreciated

sueellen
Re: laying patio

This site might provide some info

www.pavingexpert.com/

caroerin
Patio - how do you clean it

I have a patio - paving instead of slab - and I wonder how do you clean it to get rid of the green stuff that appears on some of the paving - Thanks in advance for any tips

Obi Wan Kenobi
Patio - how do you clean it

Power hose would do the trick...

legend99
Very frequent poster

caroerin, do you find yours is incredibly slippy as a result. I've noticed that mine is like a sheet of ice if it is wet...

sueellen
Re: Patio - how do you clean it

You may find something useful here www.pavingexpert.com/ or

Some other posts

NathanielStarbuck
Concrete Patio Removal

Hi, I'm looking for someone to break up and remove a patio and I can't seem to find anyone that wants to quote for this without trying to sell me a new patio.

Anyone know where to find someone to do this (South Dublin / North Wicklow) ?

Thanks

legend99
Very frequent poster

If you were inclined you could do it yourself for the cost of a hiring a Kangoo, a very small skip, a pair of gloves and a good pair of safety glasses.
Honestly, its something to really consider doing yourself...

NathanielStarbuck

I did think about doing it myself - but reckon it would cost 800 for a skip, plus hiring costs - surely there would be someone who has all the gear who would do the job for a grand or so?

EAMONN66
Frequent poster

anyone who is legit would have to hire a skip as well .

legend99
Very frequent poster

Kango would come in at less than 50 for a weekend I would think.
Even in Cork where skips are dead expensive you could get a small bin for circa 250.

NathanielStarbuck

To correct my earlier posting, a skip costs 162-323 euro in bray depending on size.

sueellen
Re: Concrete Patio Removal

Nathaniel,

"a skip costs 162-323 euro in bray depending on size"

Can that price also change depending on weight as mentioned here ?

NathanielStarbuck

Thanks for reminding me Sueellen. I just checked and there is no extra change for weight (Greenstar) although you obviously have to stay within the ultimate weight limit of the skip.

sunnyday
Frequent poster

Do be aware of the dangers of using a kango if the patio is adjacent to the house. There may well be services close to the surface eg. ESB, gas, sewerage, water, phone etc. which a kango would easily damage!

try [broken link removed] [ALCI] landscapers association of Ireland -

- checking out these threads could have saved me a lot of hassle rather than suggesting the same organisation/ place over and over!

Back