Key Post House Alarms

M

Marion

Anybody recommend an installer of Burglar Alarms for a private house. It is already wired for same.

m

Re: what area are you in?

For what it's worth I believe that having the house already wired doesn't really save much on the cost of the system as most of the cost is in the electronics (panel, sensors, bell box etc.).

Alarm

Cehc out John Reid @ Retec 086-2607149 - Best deal I could find and knows his stuff. Aritech Kit - recommend you install an auto dailler rather than pay for ongoing monitoring.

Re: Alarm

clubman,it saves a lot of labour after, having the wires pre-installed ,i put them in for most people when i'm doin the electrics

Alarms

MoneyMan, thanks for reply. Can u elaborate on what u mean by "auto dialler as opposed to ongoing monitoring" as I don't understand.

Thanks

Re: Alarms

An auto-dialer will call one or more telephone numbers when the alarm is triggered allowing somebody (family, friends, work etc.) to be informed of the incident and take the appropriate action (e.g. call the Gardaí, drop around to check etc.). This is a much cheaper alternative to having the system call up a monitoring station for which you'll pay a significant annual charge.

However, doesn't audo-dialing/monitoring break down if somebody cuts the telephone connection and, given that these are accessible outside in most new houses, this is not difficult to do?

davelerave - just out of curiosity, what proportion of the overall cost of an average system would the wiring (parts & installation) represent?

I would think that one of the main functions of a burglar alarm is to act as a deterant. Crooks will probably look elsewhere (somewhere that is easier) rather than break into an alarmed house. The autodialer comes in handy for false alarms, to alert you so that you can switch off the alarm and stop annoying the neighbours.

I suppose cutting the 'phone cable would be a flaw, but you also have to take crook psycology and risk/return factors into consideration.

Yeah - you have a point. Based on the fact that I've only ever looked out the door when a neighbour's car/house alarm has been going off for 10 or 20 minutes (plenty of time to grab something and scarper) and has become an annoyance to me I guess alarms are mainly useful as a deterrant.

Its best to have your phone line ex-directory if you are using a
digi dialer. If the thief knows your phone no. all he has to do is
dial the no. to busy the line and the dialer cannot dial out.

Re: alarms

Similar to the above suggestion, would it be possible to hook up an auto-dialler on your house alarm to a pre-paid mobile to circumvent thieves interfering with your land line?

Autodiallers

I recently got an alarm installed in my house and got the alarm monitoring.

I asked about an auto-dialler and they said that auto-diallers aren't allowed under some 'IS:x xx' standard. This 'IS' standard is recommended by insurance companies and the Gardai.

BTW, I live near Drogheda and paid €980 + €110 for the monitoring. The alarm is for 13 windows, 4 doors and 1 PIR. The house was pre-wired.

I'm not sure the alarm monitoring is worth it. My mother had to stay with me for a week and set off the alarm. She got a bit flustered and couldn't remember the password. She rang the company, practically crying, and said she was my mother etc. They said OK and the guards were not called! They didn't ring me anyway.

Sluice

Re: Autodiallers

interesting about the mobile for auto-dialling ,i'm sure it's viable.also interesting point about the ex-directory number although i guess isdn would be a help there for me anyway as i could use the second number.you have the windows wired sluice44 and only 1 pir ,whereas the expert supplying me stuff says just do the doors and 5 (approx)pirs to cover the most of the house -no windows ? i wonder which is best?i can't claim to be an expert as i really just fit the wires for a fee, along with the electrics

Something to watch out for if you go for the cheaper insurance because you have an alarm installed.
If you forget to put the alarm on and you are burgled there is NO payout from the insurance company.

Davelearve – Its easier to install PIR’s rather that a load of sensors on the windows. But an advantage of the window sensors is that the alarm will tell you that a window (especially downstairs) is open as you set the alarm.
Also if you put the alarm on at night the PIR’s would have to be disabled so people can go to the toilet etc. This means anyone can force a window without the alarm going off.

I personally think the reed switches and motion sensors on downstairs windows and PIR’s for upstairs.

padraigL,i aked the guy about that and basically he say's the window contacts give a lot of trouble and that at night you disable the upstairs pir when turning on the alarm-the panels come with that feature

Some other posts

drumaneen
Unregistered User
Alarm System

I'm in the same boat......wiring but no alarm as yet.

franksm

Gardtec get good reports: [broken link removed]

Nexus get good writeups amongst the professionals and, believe it or not, are available from Maplin (don't laugh):
[broken link removed]

Very easy to install, but the keypad is a bit basic-looking, which put me off.

Try these guys for prices (their pricelist isn't on the web, but their prices are the best I found):
[broken link removed]

Menvier equipment is good, top-quality and a bit more expensive. Another example www.sapphire-alarms.co.uk

Some more info here:
[broken link removed]

You'll need: 1 x alarm panel
1 x shock sensor for every window-frame
1 x magnetic sensor each external doors (I put them on the windows too along with the shock sensors)
1 x remote keypad (or 2, if you want one near the bedroom also)
1 x backup battery for the panel
1 x reel of 6-core cable (optional, but handy)
1 x 6-way junction box for places that you are joining more than one sensor (eg. magnetic sensor and shock sensor at front door)
1 x speech dialler (optional, but perfect if you want to know when the alarm goes of while you're out)
1 x bellbox (doesn't matter what type or configuration, they're all generic)
1 x panic button

House alarm price

I would recommend digital security 6791220
They fitted an alarm for me this week for 530 Euro
on a 4 bed semi.
Good value i must say
I got the same crowd to do my first house 4 years ago - no problems.
It includes front and back door activation switch
PIR sensor for siting room , hall , kitchen dining room and landing upstairs.

Some other posts

delboy
Unregistered User
Recommend Burglar Alarm System Installers ?

Can anyone recommend a good burglar alarm installer ?

How much would i expect to pay to have an alarm system installed in a 3bed semi-d (Nth Co Dublin).

bubbles
Frequent poster
Re: Recommend Burglar Alarm System Installers ?

Napier Alarms. Pleased with their installation, never had a false alarm or a problem in nearly three years.

Don't know about price for a 3 bed semi-d, though.

Bubbles

Jildy
Re: Recommend Burglar Alarm System Installers ?

I got DeJay Royale in Lucan to install a burgular alarm for me in a 3 bed house just after Christmas. Very happy with the workmanship. Very tidy and did a tasty job. Cost approx €850 but they haven't invoiced me yet !!

ruairi
Unregistered User
burglar alarm

Real Security systems:

I shopped around extensively at the time and was delighted with above:

James Nealon installed on my 5 bed house. Very reasonable and excellent service.
tel 0862365423.
he also has a website but cant remeber the address or find it on search engine
Good luck

ruairi

bubbles
Frequent poster
alarm monitoring?

what's the position if you want your alarm monitored and the company has not installed the alarm?

Is there any point in having an alarm if it is not monitored?

Bubbles

XXXAnother PersonXXX
Very frequent poster

Is there any point in having an alarm if it is not monitored?
Get an autodialer. If the alarm goes off, it sends a message to your phone. I don't think the Gardai repond to alarms any more.

Whatever you do, avoid eircon phoneripoff like the plague.

Delboy
Unregistered User
alarms

Thanks for the replies.
I'll shop around with the installers you all have mentioned.

Susan
Re: alarms

Do you need to have a phone line to get an autodialer ?

flash
Unregistered User
alarm

I have ADT monitored x 5 yrs
and am very happy with service, etc.
aF16

XXXAnother PersonXXX
Very frequent poster

" Do you need to have a phone line to get an autodialer ?"

Answer is yes.

I suppose it might be possible to get an autodialer that works using mobile phone apparatus. I haven't seen any.

ruairi
Unregistered User
alarm

Found the web address for james nealon
www.realalarms.com/
He can also hook up an autodialer using your landline to call your mobile.

regards
ruairi

Some other posts

wavejumper
ADT home alarm

just got a quote to install a house alarm system from adt, it includes 9 sensor/switches for the windows and door, the alarm main board, keypad, bell and decoy box outside(all from that airteck brand). all the windows and door are already wired. 980 euro. plus 35 per month for their monitoring and maintenance.

i searched this forum for a while and got some info about house alarms and it seems to me people got a lot cheaper deal or better value for money...are there any reccomendations from registered users of this forum about alternative providers...house is in dublin, alarm is a requirement from our ulster bank mortgage

Sparky
Unregistered User
Alarm bells !!

"all the windows and door are already wired. 980 euro"

Alarm bells are ringing in my head at that price. Aritech materials possibly max €300.

If prewired, installation max 8hours.

Can't comment on monitoring though.

wavejumper
prewired

yes, previous owners had the house totally wired for alarms. we haven't tested but the ADT guy quoted us assuming the wiring worked.

monitoring as in the service they provide of calling you and the garda in case of alarm? 35 a month, thats not too good either, i'd rather get an auto-dialer to my mobile. I'm concered about the 980 for hooking up 9 sensors and the board/keypad, it seems very expensive.

Sparky
Unregistered User
ADT

Hi Wavejumper,

Work on recommendation only. There are loads of certified smaller sized operations (less overheads) out there.

Is your bank/insurer going to accept autodialler to your phone?

"the ADT guy quoted us assuming the wiring worked"

and what wiil the unforeseen price be if there's a cable problem??

wavejumper
adt

"Work on recommendation only"

yea, im getting a feeling from some mates that no one paid more that 500 for installation in pre-wired homes.

"Is your bank/insurer going to accept autodialler to your phone?"

good question.

"and what wiil the unforeseen price be if there's a cable problem?? "

my first born probably.

wavejumper
alarm

na, ulster bank home insurance requirement is that the alarm is installed by reputable company/individual and that we switch it on when we go out(duh...), a phone monitoring system is not required, although i'd like to have one...

bloodyright
Unregistered User
Steer clear of ADT

ADT salesmen are much like Eircom salesmen.
They will lie and lie to get as much as they can out of you.
Forget monitoring. We were cleaned out before the cops even got there after our alarm went off and the monitoring station called them.
Now consiodering i had to go home from work early on at least 6 occasions in a year for false alarms, i'm a bit peeved that the one time the cops were called it was too late.
Much better off going home to your house and find it empty. At least you didnt pay €35 a month for the privelidge.

wavejumper
bloodyright

sorry to hear about your misfortune...thanks for the tips tho. yea the ADT guy had that "you have no other option" aura around him reminiscent of the eircom school...

i'm trying to work on a cheaper alarm system and invest in a good bomb-proof door for the room where i plan to store valuables(if we want to call them valuables)...is this a good idea in anybodys experience?

Breeze
Re: bloodyright

why have you only got a quote from ADT. There are lots out there. Shop around.

wavejumper
shop around

eh that sounds familiar :) just want to see from people experience what works and what not, salesman are very convincing but being one myself i have absolutely no trust for the lot. the bestalarm want 850...hm...I wonder if its my foreign accent...

Sparky
Unregistered User
Alarm

"room where i plan to store valuables(if we want to call them valuables)..."

What exactly would be your address??

wavejumper
sparky

the significance of that being?

valuables: i mean the 2 or three things worth nicking.

Sparky
Unregistered User
Nicking

"i mean the 2 or three things worth nicking. "

If you go with ADT, that will probably include their equipment!!

Bobby
Re: ADT home alarm

Definitely overpriced at that. Monitoring should be all in at about €200 pa as well, if you so wish. Wouldn't be mad about Ariteck kit either. Having one strong room in conjunction with monitoring is a good idea, because once an alarm starts ringing, burglars don't hang around for long, certainly not long enough to break into a well secured room. If only everyone had a habit of locking all internal doors when they go out, it would greatly reduce the amount of stuff taken in smash and grab type burglaries. Hassle I know, but you choose which is preferrable!

wavejumper
bobby

to be honest i'd just go for a safe room and skip the alarm altogether...but the insurance wants it this way.

found a guy recommended by a friend, he quoted 650, ariteck and all plus i think the dialer...

what other alarm brands would you recommend?

Bobby
Re: Recommend

I'd recommend HKS equipment, and Lifeguard Alarms Ltd. (087 2517533). They are certified for insurance standard installations, very reasonable, and very neat. (No connection, just used them in the past).

wavejumper
thanks

cheers, I'll let you know how I got on...

Bobby
Re: ADT

Sorry wavejumper, that number should have been 086 2517533, not 087!

Elcato

If only everyone had a habit of locking all internal doors when they go out, it would greatly reduce the amount of stuff taken in smash and grab type burglaries
A little off point, but not always a good idea (if not smash and grab) as in my experience they simply kick the sh*t out of the doors till they get entry. A good hiding place is more effective.

Bobby

Hope you haven't had first hand experience of having your doors smashed Elcato! A good hiding place is fine for jewellry and such like, but not so practicle for DVD/CD collection etc. Alot of burglaries in houses with alarms are smash and grab if the bells start ringing. In this case, when a locked door is encountered, they very often cut their losses and run.

wavejumper
aztec?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
found a guy recommended by a friend, he seems to vouch for this aztec alarm systems, saying its more flexible and easier to install in that the panic button goes wherever we want to and its easier to install the dialer, the sensors however are proprietory, ...he came across very decent and not so "eircom" plastic salesman. he quoted 700 and throws in an infrared motion detector...i'm thinking probably yea...

franksm
DIY alarm

I was getting all sorts of quotes to have an alarm installed in my pre-wired 3-bed house, so I elected to fit one myself.

Downloaded all the docs and saw how easy it was. I bought some Menvier gear from some vendors in the UK - I think I spent £300STG and ended up with some really top-class kit.

Fitting it was an absolute breeze - it really is simple. As part of the kit, I got a speech dialler which will call me when the alarm goes off. Right away I'm saving the money that most people pay Eircom Phonewatch for the same job.

I'd recommend anyone in a prewired house and possessing basic DIY skills think about installing the alarm themselves. I haven't had any false-alarms yet (touch wood) but admit that I haven't turned up the sensitivity on the vibration sensors I attached to the window frames. Still, it all works for me !

franksm
DIY alarm

Meant to say also - I could have fitted a "standard" alarm system for about €250 to €250 Euro, but since I was saving money anyway, I went for the top-of-the range Menvier kit, which isn't known to be cheap.

Plus I get to keep the Engineers passwords, etc, which Alarm companies normally don't divulge.

Alarms are a great way to generate money - they can be programmed to give a message "call engineer - service required" on a periodic basis. The engineer then scrolls through a special menu that shows which circuits are healthy, and which are not; runs built-in diagnostic; charges you €70 for the pleasure.

Do it yourself, it's no big deal.

wavejumper
franksm

got this astec system installed yesterday...with hindsight i maybe should have tried to do it myself as not even an hour atfer the guy left the fecking thing went off and it wasn't even armed, one of the panic buttons was faulty and triggered off the alarm, just as i was contemplating how quiet the house was while drifting into sleep...called the guy at 12am and he told me how to use the engineer log-in to shut it off and he came back this morning to replace the whole board and sensors...i got the dialer to my mobile and the infrared motion detector fitted too...
we'll see how it goes. diy for sure next time.

ninsaga
Frequent poster
Re: recommendations for house alarm

Ensure that you use a reputable alarm installer. There are alot of fly-by-nights operating in that sector. Ensure that the installer certifies that the alarm in up to IS199 standard. This will give you about 10% reduction on your house insurance also.

ninsaga

Some other posts

okidoki987
Alarm

I have bought a new house and have had a lot of people going through the house. I now need to change the alarm
code to a unique code known only to my family. The electrician who installed the alarm for the builder has said that he is the only one who can change the code and therefore he will also know the code. We didn't get an instruction manual with it so I have no idea if he's telling me the truth or not but it does sound strange that he has to know the code as well.
Any ideas?

stobear
Frequent poster

The same thing with me, had an alarm system fitted, but he never provided the manual to change the code, it never bothered me though and he never returned. Get the brand name for the control panel (Aritech CS250 is popular) and have a route through google.

Bobby

Some panels do require the installer to access the "engineer's" menu in order to change the user code. However, he can get the panel to the required menu position and then "look away" while you enter and re-enter your new code. That way he has no way of knowing your new code. One other problem though, it's difficult for you to be sure he hasn't also got another code in there for himself!!! Beware! It's worth paying a little extra for an alarm from a reputable firm than going with the flyer which comes through the letter box for a €299 alarm.

postagepaid

If it's an Aritech try the following:

0 Old code *# New code *0

That's from an Aritech manual

AL
Unregistered User
code

I used Bobby's suggestion when getting my alarm code changed. The engineer tapped in all the various things he needed to reset the code, then he turned his back to me and told me to enter my new code.

Back