Key Post: Cork City

S

sueellen

I am going away on business to Cork City for a couple of nights next week and I am looking for a recommendation for a nice hotel in the city with a leisure centre. Any suggestions please ?

Re: Nice hotel in Cork City

Depends on how much u wish to spend..... The Kingsley would be around 120 a night & is highly regarded. Jury's would be over rated. Silversprings has a lesiure centre but it not co-located with the hotel itself...

The Imperial hotel has a leisure centre but I have not heard whether it is good or bad...

ninsaga

yeah

Thanks ninsanga, the Kingsley was the one I was looking for. Couldnt remember the name.

Cork, Jurys Inn, NEVER AGAIN

Last year I was in Cork for a week teachin a course.
I stayed in Jurys Inn on the Quays.
Oh my god....

There is some sort of hostel for alcoholics right next door. Two problems with this :

1- Its a Dry hostel, they won't let anyone in who is drunk.
2- The hotel is an L-shaped building with a car park in the open bit of the L.

The consquences of this are:
1- the drunks roll up outside the hostel from midnight on. They don't get let in ..cos they're drunk. So gangs of them pile up outside the hostel roaring their heads off.
2- The hostel door is on the other side of the car park. So the noise from the hostel has nothing to block it as it reaches your bedroom window.

Result?

You don't get any sleep if you are on the front cos of the traffic and the never closing bar downstairs, and you don't get any sleep on the back cos the boyos outside the hostel see to that...

And before anyone points it out... you couldn't consider closing the window because the heating is way up...

So I had a terrible week trying to teach all day, get notes organised and night and not getting any sleep in between times...

Though I did enjoy watching some discruntled guests in rooms closer to the hostel firing ashtrays down at the rowdies outside the hostel... I know I know its an awful thing to do and the homeless deserve our compassion.. but try telling me that after 4am....

mary

The winos are legendary down that neck of the woods. Mary sits down outside the shelter all day with a stereo system blasting out all trad songs. There would often be a number of chaps dancing along with the flaggons in hand. if its wasn't so sad it would be hilarious. One is a former professor in U.C.C. i believe, quite notorious in Cork.

Sorry to hear it wrecked your night.

i'd recommend Morrison Island if anyone wants a cheap very comfortable hotel. Its just off South Mall. no leisure centre though, but almost in the heart of the city.

Theres two Jurys

There's two Jury's in Cork city. One is on the river, one is out the road by the college... which one are you talking about? The Hotel or the Inn?

Re: Theres two Jurys

Jury's Inn is the one on the Quay next to the dry sleep shelter....
Jury's hotel is on the Western Road

ninsaga

Some other posts

Gavin
Cork

Anyone recommend a good hotel in Cork City centre?

Two of us going to Cork. Train is €104 return from Dublin and takes 2hrs 40 mins.

Probably a lot cheaper to drive but how long should I allow?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Laoise
Cork-Dublin

The Cork - Dublin route is 254 km.
Most European visitors calculate this as 2.5 hours including a coffee break. Unfortunately on Irish roads, which take you through lots of little towns between Cork & Dublin the journey will take 3.5 to 4 hours.
On one occasion it actually took me 4.5 hours from Cork to Liffey Valley.
On the other hand, unless you travel city-gold, the trains are litter chocked, dirty & grimey, the loos untouchable, the coffee undrinkable and the petrol costs will be only ca €30 return.
Laoise

Gavin
Cork hotels

Thank you for your help Laoise thats exactly what I was looking for and you are right I think I'll drive.

It probably doesn't cater for business travellers as I couldn't find any city centre hotels above the 3 or 4 star category when I searched.

Boy
5*

Hayfield Manor is a 5*. [broken link removed]

10 mins from city center near UCC.

bluebean
re: travelling by car

Laoise,

check out the route on www.aaireland.ie/
But I'd always add at least 40 - 60 mins extra to their timing estimation, as you'd want to be rocketing it to make it in the time the suggest!

fatherdougalmaguire
Frequent poster
Re: re: travelling by car

You could also fly. You could go from a Friday to a Sunday for €160 return. That's with Aer Arann.

Laoise
AA - Cork Dublin

Just did as Bluebean suggested and checked out the AA Route planner.
They give the distance as 157.4 miles (equates roughly to 254 km) and the journey time is given as 3.33 h.

Jx
Train

Take on off peak train (i.e not 5.30 on a Friday!). The trains are reliable, fast, clean, safe and importantly environmentally friendly. Arrive in Cork Stress Free with no parking worries:
Hotels
Jurys Inn
The Kingsley
Fitzpatricks

ninsaga
Frequent poster
Re: Train

depends on how much You are willing to spend.....

Top end of the price & Quality range...

Hayfield Manor
Maryborough House Hotel
Kingsley Hotel
Rochestown park

Mid
Metropole
Jury's
Ambassador
Fitz's Silversprings
Mossisons Island Hotel

Low
ibis
Vienna Woods

endowed
Cork Trains & Hotels

Yep, ninsaga provides a comprehensive list there.

The Ambassador up in St Lukes is quite close to the city centre and is a nice hotel. Both Vienna Woods and [broken link removed] are a small bit out of town close to the Dunkettle Roundabout but you can pick up a room in the Ibis for €45.

In relation to Cork/Dublin trains, personally if I'm travelling on my own I nearly always take the Iron Horse but if there are 2 or more going, it's the car, mainly for the reasons that Laoise outlines above.

macnas
re Cork

Of the hotels Ninsaga mentions the following are in the center of the city
Imperial; Jury's; Jury's Inn; Metropole; Morrisons Island;

A 15 min walk to Hayfield Manor; 20 to Kingsley; Taxi to the rest

Gav
Cork

Thank you all for your help. Trip completed. Report

Train to Cork:

Adult 5 day return costs €51.

A family day trip (2 adults and 2 children) costs €72. Two adults traveling together would not qualify and would have to have at least one child with them.

Irish Rail also offer an upgrade to City Gold- wait for it. You pay an extra €54 return and for that you get a larger seat and a free newspaper (wow!!). If you use this service to Cork then two adults will pay €210 return which is significantly more expensive than fatherdougalmaguires Aer Arran suggestion.

Yes Laoise comments about Irish Rail's toilets are 100% accurate. They are a health hazard and are revolting and we will probably read about them in an alert issued by the WHO.

Car parking in Heuston costs €7 a day. In Cork Kent I think its €4.50 a day.

Personal opinion, a train is a much more environmentally friendly way to transport large numbers of people (WC facilities excluded). However at these prices, how can someone be encouraged to leave the car at home and let the train take the strain?

Of the hotels mentioned by 'Boy', 'Jx' and 'Ninsaga' above what do you think they would have to pay? I'll kick it off:

Jurys western road classified as a 4* (mid range by Ninsaga) Cork City Saturday 28th May 2004 - €160 for the night. As an example is this reasonable? Compared to other European cities I'd imagine its probably OTT but I'm sure Board Failte's surveys show great tourist satisfaction with such rates.

legend99
Cork

To be honest, you might have been as well off staying in a B&B on the Western Road. Just up from Jurys.

Or if you go in the summer I think UCC let out the Castlewhite apartments [broken link removed] which if there is 2 of you sharing would probably work out better. Castlewhite is about 10 minutes walk beyond Jurys. Again its on the Western Road opposite all the B&Bs. Also, the Youth Hostel is accross the road should you feel the need to offer 'more enjoyable' accomodation to any sweetie pie European visitor who happens to be staying there.....AYEEE!!!!

Just a word of caution about parking in Morrrisons ,nice hotel ,parking at back very limited .There is 2 hour parking near hotel but do not attempt to put 2 parking discs for 4 hours did same last year but came back to find car clamped cost 80 euro to release it

Back