Key Post Things to do in Dublin.

S

sueellen

As one who will be visiting your country shortly for a 5 day break in Dublin, I would like to get some local advice on places to visit, things to do, sights to see, places to eat/drink and so on. If possible I would like to avoid the tourist traps and see the best of Dublin as recommended by the local population.
I already plan to visit Newgrange and the Abbey and/or Gate Theatres. Johnny Foxes pub/restaurant has also been recommended to me. Also are there any guided tours of Dublin City that could be recommended?

I will be very grateful for any suggestions.

Things to do in Dublin

It really is hard to know where to start, because everyone has different tastes, and the residents of this city will disagree on what is worth seeing or doing.

I suggest a bus tour of the city on your first day would be the best way to start off. It will give you a good idea of what there is to see and what you might like to go back to on following days. Gray Line and Dublin Bus run a range of tours for full day, half day etc. ([broken link removed]

New Grange is well worth visiting. It will probably take up a full day. Powerscourt, just outside Dublin in County Wicklow, is very nice if the weather is fine (

If you want to avoid tourist traps, avoid Johnny Fox's. In fact, just avoid it anyway - over priced and over rated. That's my opinion: others may disagree.

Be sure to check out as many websites as possible to give you some ideas. Here is one site that may be helpful: www.guidetodublin.com/.

Re: Things to do in Dublin

I'd agree with avoiding the 'show' at Foxes (and the wannabe shows at Taylors Three Rock, Pollyhops et al) - They are really aimed at the Yanks & the Europeans. However, Foxes is still good for a nice seafood meal, particularly at off-peak times.

If you're in town, try Odessa for a Sunday brunch.

Re: Things to do in Dublin

rainy, agreed with the seafood in Foxes.
however, I must disagree with you on the pollyhops. Best carvery bar none on the southside on a sunday afternoon and not overpriced either, then stay for the irish diddle ee eye exhibition that evening, and if youre really lucky, the local travellers from the halting site down the road will be in to provide the postpub fisticuffs match outside.
Apart from that, have a look at www.entertainmentireland.ie
for more ideas as to whats on during a visit to the capital.

Things to do in Dublin

Dublinbound,
As you will probably be around Stephens green/ Grafton Street, I would recommend going to Café en Siene in Dawson Street for lunch...though the drink is expensive, the lunch is good value and it has to be one of the most fantastic looking pubs around.

One of the stops on the Bus tour will be Kilmainham Jail, It's a good tour, great history behind it was the location of the film, "In the name of the Father".

One more, the Guinness Storehouse (probably the stop before Kilmainham Jail) is worth it for the view of the city.

As was said before, different people will recommend different things....I just hope it doesn't piss down on ya (ie. rain!) for the few days you're here!

Enjoy the trip.

Dublin Visit

Here some personal suggestions prepared for a friend of a friend (I have kept most of them pretty central) :

Pubs /Bars

Neary's, Chatham st.
Shelbourne Bar
Samsara, Cafe en Seine Dawson St.
Porterhouse or Messers Maguire for Brewpubs
Guinness brewery for the tour and view from the Gravity Bar
Old : Long Hall, the International Bar, the Stag's Head, Kehoe's, Palace Bar and Ryan's of Parkgate st.

Food

L'Ecrivain, Baggot St. or
Chapter 1 Parnell Sq.
Ely Wine Bar (Ely Place)
Mermaid Cafe Dame St.
Bruno's (Temple Bar or Kildare St.)

Snacks or Lunch :

Bewleys (Still !)
Avoca Cafe (Suffolk St.)

Music

Porterhouse
Vicar St.
O'Donoghoes
Cobblestone, Smithfield
National Concert Hall
Brazen Head

Or even better - check www.wow.ie/ and www.entertainment.ie/ for the specific days he's there.

Things to Do

Usual Tourist : Trinity, BOI College Green, Guinness, Bus Tour, but Stephen's Green area is a bit of a mess at present due to Luas works.
Other : Extended National Gallery (Nice cafe/restaurant too), National Museum, Dublin Castle + Chester Beatty Library, Collins Barrack Museum Extension,
IMMA in Kilmainham
Kilmainham Jail
DART to Dun Laoghaire, Dalkey, Killiney, Bray

Re: Dublin Visit

I recommend you start off in the Iveagh garden for a sight that not many people know of. It's located directly behind UCD Earlsfort terrace (Next door to Concert Hall) where you can just stroll in for free. Then walk down to Stephan's Green and see the farm. Go out of the green at the Shelbourne hotel corner and go up to the National history museam on Merrion street and then go to the other side of the Dail on Merrion street and see the National art museam. All free and a good stroll of no more than two miles total.
[broken link removed] a map - you start off roughly at the red 5 and then head via the green to red w and red x.

Things to do in Dublin

Thank you all for taking the time and trouble to reply! Your thoughts are much appreciated and I hope to apply them to my visit. I will certainly visit Newgrange but maybe not Johnny Foxes after all!

Thank you!

Things to do in Dublin

Here's an itinerary that I recently put together for a friend of mine for a weekend break:

--------------------------

Friday night
You'll be getting in late probably, so I'd suggest getting a cab to O'Shea's on Merchant Quay. They do diddly type music, and good food. Right across the street is the "Brazen Head" pub which is the oldest pub in Dublin. Not very touristy, but always good craic

Saturday
Take one of the open top bus tours around the city (about €15 or so). You can get on and off as you like.

Places to stop at:
•&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Grafton Street and Powerscourt Arcade for shopping

If you girls ever escape from that, then there's . . .
•&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp The National History museum (free)
•&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp The National Gallery (free)
•&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Trinity College - but don't go to visit the Book of Kells. It's pricey and really not worth it. But Trinity itself is interesting.
•&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Guinness Storehouse: it's about €13 in but you get free booze !! (closes early, about 4:30 is last entrance I think)
•&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Nearby on the walk back to the centre is Vicar Street pub, very hip and trendy, well worth stopping at.
•&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp On the way back into town is Christchurch. This is built on an old Viking settlement. Strongbow and a few obscure saints are buried here.

Saturday night all around Temple Bar is just heaving.

Sunday:
Most shops are open, so you could try that again. Otherwise, take a bus or taxi out to Kilmainham, about 3 miles outside the city

•&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Kilmainham Jail: very historic, but well worth it - bring your thermal knickers as it gets cold. Takes about 3 hours. A short walk away is . . .
•&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Royal Hospital Kilmainham (IMMA): Always got good modern art exhibitions on - and it's a freebie. Closed Mondays

If you've got time in the afternoon, you could visit Smithfield market, and the Jameson Distillery, both of which are on the northside of the Liffey near Capel Street bridge.

Longer visitors:
Some of the girls will be staying longer, so I'd suggest visiting the following:
Kilkenny City and Castle (60 miles south west of Dublin)
Glendalough - a day trip from Dublin
New Grange - another day trip. These huge burial mounds pre date the Pyramids
--------------------------

Dublin

Also if you get time, take a trip out to Bray on the DART (Dublin Light rail system) and have lunch/dinner in Barracuda. This restaurant is right on the sea and has fabulous views out across the bay. There is another restaurant called Kish in Dalkey which has fantastic views but much more expensive! Enjoy your trip!

If you get tired of the cityscape then there are great walks around Howth head which is beautiful, lovely views back over the bay and the city & north over Ireland's eye.

Also the beaches like Portmarnock, Sandymount, walk the South Wall of Dublin Port, Dun Laoghaire pier.

(Not so much for tourists but I used to love the walk along the Dodder if you get good sunshine - west from Clonskeagh, back through Milltown etc)

Other than that, go to Kilmainham Jail & the GPO (GPO is free & only takes 2 minutes to look around), get to a match in Croke Park on a Sunday, especially hurling for something different, see www.gaa.ie (no crowd trouble, good pre and post match atmosphere).

For adventure activities check out the book 30 Irish Adventures [broken link removed]. The book lists 30 different adventure activities around Ireland including
Rock Climb at Dalkey Quarry, hillwalking at Howth Head and Kite Surf on Dollymount beach.

Also check out the site for adventure activities. You can log your own activities or find adventure activities others have written about.

If its raining a visit to the national gallery or imma in kilmainham is lovely....

, I think such blatant advertising of one of your sites would be in breach of the rules of AAM.

Back