RockView in Sandyford

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

ct_roy

Hi,

just put a booking deposit on an apartment in RockView. Has anyone else bought here and/or has already moved in - I see a lot of the apartments are complete in Bracken Hill and Sandyford View (same apts - different names - wonder why they did that)

Whats it like?

Bracken Hill has a large portion dedicated to Social housing and came on the market 6 months after Rockview

eh larry, where did you get your information about Bracken Hill? Bracken Hill was the first phase in that development (about a year ago), followed by Sandyford Hill. Now Rockview is being built/sold from the plans.

There is no social housing there at all according to the estate agent.

the social housing element of this development is in the Kilcross (Square?) bit, sectioned off and accessed through the Kilcross housing estate (which, imo, is very rough)

I had a deposit down on a 3rd floor 3 bed in Sandyford View at the launch stage, but didn't go through with it. I'm glad now, because (again, imo) the whole thing looks hideous from the m50, and is not very easily accessible, and nowhere near the luas, despite the claims of the brochures. (20min + walk). I reckon this scheme is going to look atrocious in 10/15 yrs, a right blot on the landscape.

A bridge (even if only a pedestrian one) over the M50 down to Ballinteer would make this place way more attractive, but this isn't in the plans, nor is the widening of Blackglen Road, so I gladly gave it the wide berth.

Just to note on Kilcross Square, there were 2 and 3 bed houses marketed there from around Feb/March 2005. They were solid houses and at reasonabvle prices (350K for a 2 bed mid terraced), 400K, 425K and 450K for the 3 beds.

For me the problem was that road access to Kilcross Square is through the Kilcross estate, which is a council estate. I'm sure that the majority of people who live in Kilcross estate are fine but not everyone might share that view and it would clearly affect re-sale values in my view. There is some affordable housing in Bracken Hill - not sure if there's social housing though. I have to agree that it's a huge development and it's not really attractive to look at, particularly when seen from the M50. What's the road noise if like if you open the window I wonder? I'm sure it's well insulated when the window is closed but in most apartments you have to open the window to breathe as they are over-heaated!

crassus said:
Just to note on Kilcross Square, there were 2 and 3 bed houses marketed there from around Feb/March 2005. They were solid houses and at reasonabvle prices (350K for a 2 bed mid terraced), 400K, 425K and 450K for the 3 beds.

350K for a 2 bed, you call that reasonable! ONly in Ireland would someone call that reasonable. Not having a go at you just thinking out loud about how ridiculous prices are in this country. JUst for somewhere to live!!

colc1 - I know - they are only "reasonable" relative to the prices sought for other houses in that immediate area. That's the market at the moment - in fact that was the market last year!

Hi there,

I bought a 1st floor, 3 bed apartment in Sandyford View June 2004. I moved in to the development a few weeks ago. Some comments regarding the previous posts. Yes, there are some affordable/social housing units - but I thought they were standard in any development now? I know that Ticknock Hill or Hall or whatever its called, which is considered a more prestigious development, and hence more expensive, also has a number of these units. Kilcross is not the most attractive of developments but to be honest, you don't even know it exists if you're in the Sandyford View phase. If you are walking or taking the bus however, it's a great short cut to the Sandyford Road.

With regard accessibility. I left my apartment at exactly 7.30 this morning and I was on the M50, via the new exit just after Sandyford village at 7.36, which I considered pretty good going.

Access to the Luas: in the next month or so, there is a feeder bus from Sandyford view to the Luas. If you purchase a monthly Luas ticket, the bus is free. I've walked it too, and it takes about 24 minutes. Incidentally, it takes the same to walk to Dundrum.

The small shopping mall that will be shared by Ticknock and Rockview (Sandyford view or whatever we're called!), is near completion and will be a terrific facility for both developments. I think there's a creche there too.

I believe there's going to be a through road from Ticknock Hill to our developement, which, may have a positive influence on our resale prices as Ticknock hill is currently quite a bit more expensive.

Finally, I'm block G in the Sandyford View development (the line of apartments furthest back from the M50), and even with all my windows open, I don't hear any road noise - can't say what its like for more frontline apartments though.

I don't believe these apartments were a bad buy. Personally, I don't intend keeping mine for more than a year or so, and I would have a concern about the number of units in the general area, but as a development I don't think its bad. Personally I much prefer the Blackglen road to the Stepaside road. And if you think Sandyford View's ugly, there's one particular development in Stepaside that's going to look like a shanty town in about 5 years.

Good luck with your purchase if you go ahead with it.

N

NicoleFrei said:
Kilcross is not the most attractive of developments but to be honest, you don't even know it exists if you're in the Sandyford View phase. If you are walking or taking the bus however, it's a great short cut to the Sandyford Road.

As someone who knows sandyford very well and who has had and has friends from this estate that I wouldnt be worried walking through there or anything stupid like that, I've never heard of a gun incident there or anything like that though they seem to happen everywhere in dublin these days( I never thought it would get so bad) its a very normal place in my experience

Hi,
I'm thinking of buying a property in Sandyford View and I see from NicoleFrei that getting down onto the M50 is not a big problem. I think the development is quite nice and the views are amazing but like everyone else I'm worried about commute times. How long on average would it take to drive to town from there assuming you'd be on the M50 between 7.30 and 7.45?

Cheers.

We bought in Sandyford View over a year ago and haven't regretted it in the slightest - over 25% capital appreciation for a start isn't bad - but more importantly, the feeling of the development once inside the grounds of the complex is very impressive - decked water features, lighting features, extensive landscaping - features you don't get in many of the other developments in the area. The finish of the completed apartments is very high too. Noise levels out of interest are incredibly low and the trees haven't started to fill out yet.

In terms of the location, this complex is just as good as any other in the locality (unless you want to pay the 75k extra to buy closer to Dundrum). Commutes to the luas from aikens, balarmine, ticknock hill are all the same, and as mentioned, the free feeder bus will be a bonus to the development which Stepaside developments don't have. But what clinches it for this complex is the position - the city view as you drive in is incredible, yeah the M50 is close but it gets you to work quicker!

As a matter of interest, the Blackglen Road is due for widening, not next year, but within the short term.

If you are still keen on Rockview, its well worth a buy.

great feedback guys - made the jump and signed contracts this week. see yis up there!

Hi guys,

A friend and I have just bought in Rockview too. Really like the development and the location is fantastic - work in Sandyford Industrial Estate which is so handy. We bought in Block D. We're signing contracts some time next week. Have you heard a completion date? They're saying June but Hooke and McDonald indicated it would be more like September. Also, do you know how to go about getting room dimensions? Is it up to the Solicitor to get these? Or do you not know the dimensions until you do your snagging?

I'm a first time buyer so am a bit clueless about these things!
Thanks

You can get an individual floor plan for your apartment with room dimensions from the agent or through the foreman - you will have to ask specifically for them as they are not given out on signing.

Hi Just bought from the plans in Rockview near the M50, was looking on Daft.ie but cant really work out how much rent one might get for a double room en suite? Is the feeder bus to the Luas actually gonna happen it would be class no need for a 'Jam JAr' at all! Any opinions would be appreciated lads cheers

Hi, anyone got any views on Ticknock Hill? Anyone living there? What do you think/anyone else?
Thanks!

Sweet Pea said:
We bought in Block D. We're signing contracts some time next week. Have you heard a completion date? They're saying June but Hooke and McDonald indicated it would be more like September.

Hi

We have just purchased in Rockview - Block D. The agent from Hooke MacDonald told us that it was on schedule for completion in early June - not September! Has anybody else been advised re a completion date?

Hi Dimple,

I got on to Hooke & McDonald today and they advised that completion is on target and it would be early June. Subsequently rang the foreman to see if we could make any changes to the apartment (extra points etc) and he said no because they are finished! He said they'd be ready 1st week May. So what with snagging etc., it will probably still be early June....

Sweet Pea

I dont wish to alarm you as are looking forward to moving into your new apartment in Rockview but we bought and moved into sandyford view in December. We are having huge issues with parking each apartment received one visitor space but most apartments have two cars. There is no visitors parking and there is double yellow lines everywhere so there is no where for us to park let alone our visitors. This is very stressfull for us and for our family when they visit. Not only that but we do not have any bin stores or bike sheds as promised. Bracken Hill has all these facilities but it seems that the builders got greedy when building the 2nd phase so I can't imagine how the 3rd phase will be finished. I would be very careful when signing your contract that you note carefully where your parking spot is because some residents of sandyford view were given parking spots in bracken hill which is through a different entrance and a long walk to their apartment.

Thanks Sweetpea - that sounds promising! Does anybody know where exactly the affordable & social housing is planned for on the Blackglen road? The planning application states that it will be on the Blackglen road but no details of where exactly it will be. I'm just wondering if it will be down in the Rockview development or somewhere else along the main road.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back