Old Key post: engagement rings

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JJones

Hi,

I am buying an engagement ring soon. I am by no means an expert in field of Jewelry and was wondering if anyone knows where I could go for some reasonable service. You could sell me a ring from a Halloween brack and I would'nt know the difference.

Thanks

Engagement Ring

I got my wife's engagement ring in Appleby jewellers in Johnson's Court (the lane that connects Grafton St to the Powerscourt Townhouse Centre in Dublin). They have a good selection and have charts that explain the various features and classes of diamonds (grades of clarity, cut etc.). They are also good at service. Go to www.appleby.ie and follow the links for diamond rings and you will get to a guide on "How to buy a diamond". Read this so that, when you do go somewhere to buy, you will look like you know what you are talking about. That website also has a selection of the rings they stock. They also used to have discount schemes for various companies (like the main banks) - I got about 20% off the price of the ring. Regardless, even if you do not belong to such a company ASK THEM FOR A DISCOUNT - they should give you at least 10% off! Insist on it! Good luck, and I hope she says 'yes'!

Edited by ClubMan to fix link.

Engagement ring

"You could sell me a ring from a Halloween brack and I would'nt know the difference"

Am I to take it from this comment that you are going to buy the ring and present it to herself on bended knee without she first having the opportunity to select it? Brave man. Wish I had your spine.

in hindsight

MOB that was the general idea. Considering she is a woman of expensive tastes bringing her along could be likened to leaving Charlie haughey in charge of the nations finances. I suppose it might be best to let her pick it, at least then I would actually know if she indeed wants the thing in the first place

in hindsight

I would like to add my name to those praising Applebys (and thanks to all who suggested it in the previous discussion on this). I found them very friendly and helpful. As to JJones, even if you pick the ring yourself, you can get it changed if she doesn't like it. They will change it for you gladly as long as you have not had the ring altered (i.e. fitted to the required size) so there is no problem there. I'd say go ahead and buy one and sure if she doesn't like it you can get it changed. That's what I'm doing at least!

Re: .

Recently my sister bought her engagement ring in one of the second hand shops beside the powerscourt centre. Its was a 40 year old ring with a bit of history aswell. It also came with a certificate of authenticity. She mentioned to me something along the lines of that a 0.6 carat diamond ring was like €1200 on the high street and only €600 in the second hand shop.

But sure, money cant buy you happiness/love etc....

2nd-hand rings

Rings are a personal thing and I'm sure Johnny Fontane's sister loves the one she bought, but some women have an issue with second-hand rings with 'history' - ie they are reluctant to have them in case the previous owner had a bad history or bad luck - sometimes there's no pleasing them, eh? Maybe just get her a second-hand one in good condition and don't tell her!?!?

Make sure to bargain with them

When I bought an engaement ring earlier this year, I bargained them down 500 Euro without them even blinking. Makes you wonder about the mark up on such items.

We priced around and everywhere we went would come down various amounts with little prompting

20% Discount

You can also get 20% discount in Fields with a countdown card / ESB Rewards Card. Fields also accepts bonus bonds & the gift voucher shop vouchers, so you can get futher reductions courtesy of the taxman if your employer offers this form of incentive payment.

Job done

Thanks for the advice folks, we tried Fields and Applebys both were very helpful. We went with Applebys in the end. Advice to anyone else, in hindsight it was the best choice to get her along to select the ring as any I did choose she didnt seem too gone on them anyway. Also any that we selected in the window didnt seem to suit when tried on.

Re: Job done

Well, you'll know the next time! :lol Only joking - congratulations and best of luck with everything.... ;)

Some other posts

kiwijbob
Unregistered User
Diamond Rings

I've recently popped the big question to the g'friend and now with a positive response in my pocket from her I've started looking at engagement rings.....blow me over.... Can anyone tell me if it's worth going up north or to britan to get one? Anyone bought this type of thing online??

Ed
Unregistered User
Buying the ring

I assume shes going to pick it?.In my experience I'd advise you to expect a day in town wearing out shoe leather.Doubt you'd save much going to Britain.

rainyday
Re: Diamond Rings

I would be very dubious about buying a high-value item like this online. When the blob of ice arrives, will you be able to tell if it is a real diamond or just a blob of the oul cubic zirconium?

You really need a reputable jeweller that you can trust.

kiwijbob
Unregistered User
Buying the ring

I've already started wearing out the shoe leather, it'll be a joint choice on the ring though, you can't let them just run away with it!. You just expect to be ripped off for everything here unless you know someone in the biz.(nodd, nodd, wink, wink)

pmacdonnell
Unregistered User
Some alternatives to consider

You will find the pawn has very good value. I know your beloved would prefer new but she might compromise when she sees the size of rock you'll get for the money. They say size doesn't matter but you'll discover how true that is after you've visited 4-5 jewllers.

The auctions are excellant value also. There are regular ones (Francis Street) around the city. The place is actually full of Jewllers themselves looking for bargins and raw materials. By the way have a look at the watches yourself, Omega and Rolex regularly turn up.

By the way, watch out for the "I know this is outside your budget but ..." trick. Your beloved will always think this ring is the nicest.

Antique or designer is also a good option. You can get away with a small stone (the biggest cost) based on "preferring" style or the unusual.

Good luck and be sure to get your self an engagment present!!

John
Unregistered User
Ring

Here's one way to cut the cost...........

I bought my girlfriend to Fields Jewellers. They have a pretty good selection and reasonable prices. She decided to go with a Platinum Solataire. Not the cheapest option.

When it came to the payment............

Whipped out my ESB Rewards card = 20% Discount. Any ESB customer can get one if you pay by direct debit. Alternatively, you can get the same discount with a Countdown card (available from various banks, colleges, etc).

Then I whipped out my Bonus Bonds which Fields also accept. If your working and earn bonuses, your employer can pay your bonus in the form of bonus bonds or gift vouchers, which is very tax efficient.

Example:
Ring Cost 1,875
20% Disc -375
Due 1,500
Tax Saving -460
Net Cost 1,040

So in effect you get 20% discount & the tax man pays 24.5%, an overall discount of 44.5%. Not bad if you can swing it !!!!

bubbles
Frequent poster
ESB Rewards card

Never heard of it!

Just had a look at the ESB website and cannot find anything either.

can you post details?

thanks

Bubbles

rory
Re: Ring

John,

Your girl obviously loves you lots, else she could have suddenly changed her mind and insisted on a 20% more expensive ring!

Rory

amb
Unregistered User
re:Ring

Two places I have found jewellery to be significantly cheaper. Channel Islands and Paris.

pocianain
Ring

You can also add Antwerp to that, and again significantly cheaper. Also as they did not have she liked they designed and make the ring type that day.

rainyday
Re: Ring

For those who bought jewellery overseas, how did you confirm that you weren't buying just a lump of glass?

Don Corleone
Unregistered User
Just Buy It

Who cares how much it costs - if she truly loves you I am sure she know your budget even when you are being generous.

AMB
Unregistered User
Just buy it

I lived in Channel Islands for a while so I asked around for recommendations and bought from well known jeweller. In Paris, requested valuation certificate from jewller and then had it valued on my return. It was what it was supposed to be.

Obiviously you pay a premium for going into the well known jewellery shops anywhere, however it is still less than here. With Jewellery you take a chance buying it from certain places in Ireland

Zircon
Unregistered User
Rings

Try Jewellry Gallery in Design Yard Temple Bar for ideas, or the Crafts Council web page for goldsmiths around the country. Then you get something really individual and not necessarily expensive.
Also worth remembering - the stone is the valuable part. Fashions in settings come and go and a good stone can be reset in another ring.

John
Unregistered User
ESB Rewards Card

As far as I can remember I couldn't find any info on the ESB website either. I just rang customer service department and requested a Rewards Card. They sent me an application form to complete and I got my card shortly afterwards.

By the way after buying the ring, Fields sent me a privilege card, which now entitles me to 15% off all future purchases. You can get one of these from their website.

[broken link removed]

As regards buying a lump of glass. I'd only every buy Jewellery from a reputable retailer. That said their are no guarantees. I've seen rings very similar to the one I bought, for twice the price. The margins in the trade are huge, so it's always worth pushing for a decent discount off any Jeweller.

Happy bargain hunting !!!!!!!!!!!!

kiwijbob
Unregistered User
second hand jewellery

I'm told most of the value of a diamond ring is in the stone, wouldn't it be a good idea to buy a second hand ring from a reputable jeweller (I'm told second hand are better value) and then cannibalise it and get a goldsmith to fashion a ring of my own design with the stone. I'm sure he'd also accept the old ring as part payment? Genius/foolish??

ClubMan
Administrator
Re: second hand jewellery

"I'm told most of the value of a diamond ring is in the stone"

I thought that most of the value was in the sentimentality - maybe I'm just old fashioned...

sueellen

An old wives' tale also says if its your own ring and you have it reset its supposed to bring bad luck - but don't pay too much attention to old wives' tales.

Always think its very sad that someone has to sell their wedding/engagement ring - ok, for some people they might not have happy memories from them but to go ahead and sell them

Reputable jewellers are also getting very careful about checking stones in rings both when they take them in for repair and when they return them to the owner. Too many stories in the past about stones being changed with cubic zirconias. Be very careful which goldsmith you go to. It also seems like a lot of work and even if you did find one to do it it would probably cost a lot more than buying a new ring.

Osborne Jewellers, 74, Middle Abbey St., D/1 is one reputable co. that springs to mind who might give you a quote for that type of work. Their phone no. is 8726608 or they might recommend someone else. Fields were mentioned earlier in the thread and they are also very good but from my dealings with them over the years I don't think they would be interested in that type of work.

ClubMan
Administrator

Once again I'd recommend Vincent O'Neill aka Goldsmith's on South Anne's Street - upstairs through a door near that cheese shop (Sheridan's?). Nice bloke, good quality work/jewellery (off the shelf or custom made) and reasonable prices. Number one place for watch batteries, straps etc. as well in my opinion.

Advice from my post

Just to add some advice posted on my engagement ring thread ( anyone looking for a ring should check www.cooldiamonds.com who are based in the UK. They ship to Ireland or you can collect. You can punch in the details of the ring you want (the 4 c's) and it'll give you a price and pictures of the ring. Hope this helps.

Check my origional thread to see how some Jewellers are fuelling rip off Ireland.

Antwerp

Bought a diamond ring in Antwerp and am very pleased with the value. There are about 200 jewelers but only a few of them are registered as part of the Antwerp Diamond Association. Found 'Sleats' and a wholesaler called 'Joaillerie du centre' the most helpful. Joalillerie du Centre gave me 21% discount for paying cash. All diamonds come with a certificate of authenticity.

Re: >>Engagement rings

Hi.. Heading to New York soon... for the ring buying... What are the main watchit's for buying there.... Are recommendations??

Has anyone purchased a ring in Amsterdam? Just got engaged and the boyf...oops... fiance :) is taking me to Amsterdam to pick the ring. Nice trip, but I'm getting nervous now about buying overseas.

[broken link removed]

The above link maybe of use to anyone thinking of going abroard to purchase the ring. The website www.weddingsonline.ie will also come in very handy for planning the big day.

HTH

have you tried buying at trade. Retail prices for rings tend to be twice the trade value. i bought my wife's ring at Blackman's on a little road just off south st. annes street off grafton street in dublin where there is an asian restaurant. they are a manufacturer who sell to the dublin market

Ring the doorbell and explain who you are. I think they prefer to deal with trade but they do make the occaisional private trade.Be a little persistant and they will let you look at their stuff. They design all sorts of diamond rings in all styles, from the small to absolute whoppers. being persistant is worth it because you will literally save thousands. when you pay for it you will save thousands

good luck

Re: Key Post: Engagement rings

Has anyone used www.diamond.ie. The website has some excellent information but I would like to hear peoples experience.
Thanks

Re: Key Post: Engagement rings

I could recommend Murphy Jewellers in Newry, that's where we went.
Great selection, reasonable prices and good service...

Michelle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back