Go Back   Askaboutmoney.com > Don't Askaboutmoney > I.T.,Cameras and MP 3 players

Old 03-09-2013, 01:08 PM
Frequent Poster

Default Problem with Firefox restoring session

On opening Firefox after booting up my PC, the following message was displayed on the one and only tab:

Well, this is embarrassing.Firefox is having trouble recovering your windows and tabs. This is usually caused by a recently opened web page. You can try:
Removing one or more tabs that you think may be causing the problem
Starting an entirely new browsing session

There isn't the option to do either of the above-mentioned and the 'restore' button is greyed-out.

The version of Firefox is 23.0.1

There are many important tabs that I need to retrieve.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:03 PM
Frequent Poster

Hi Yorky,

this sounds like what was happening my laptop when I upgraded Firefox a few months ago.

My workaround was to CTRL+ALT+DEL, go to taskbar and force shutdown of Firefox.

When I restarted Firefox the tabs all reopened.

I had to delete Flash actually fix the problem - no idea why and now no Youtube.

HTH
Old 04-09-2013, 01:03 AM
Frequent Poster

Hi,

I also use Firefox 23.0.1 and while I've been a long time fan of Firefox, I seem to run into regular problems with error messages appearing regarding "plugins" (whatever they are ? )

... sorry I'm not very talented when it comes to fixing these type of problems, any suggestions available please ?

Many thanks.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:14 AM
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkgirl1 View Post
Hi Yorky,

this sounds like what was happening my laptop when I upgraded Firefox a few months ago.

My workaround was to CTRL+ALT+DEL, go to taskbar and force shutdown of Firefox.

When I restarted Firefox the tabs all reopened.

I had to delete Flash actually fix the problem - no idea why and now no Youtube.

HTH
Thanks- tried that but it just brings up the tab with the error message again and the tabs which I've opened since.

Any other ideas?
Old 05-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorky View Post

Any ideas?
Double click on the tab bar should open a new tab
Ctrl + T should open a new tab
Ctrl + N should open a new session in a new window
HTH
Old 05-09-2013, 11:59 AM
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crugers View Post
Double click on the tab bar should open a new tab
Ctrl + T should open a new tab
Ctrl + N should open a new session in a new window
HTH
Yes - that's going forward. I want to retrieve the tabs I've lost
Old 05-09-2013, 12:28 PM
Frequent Poster

What do you mean - "retrieve the tabs I've lost"?
In what way are they "lost"?

If you type the address "www.what-eversite-name-is.ie" do you not get to the site?

Are you possibly talking about tabs that you previously had that opened automatically when you opened Firefox?
If so you need to open the site in a new tab i.e. type www.askaboutmoney.com into the address bar, then right click on that tab once it opens and click "Pin Tab"...
Next time you close and open firefox again it should open with your home page in one tab and AAM open on a second tab...
Old 05-09-2013, 02:31 PM
Frequent Poster

Yorky, exactly how many tabs have you pinned in Firefox?
Old 05-09-2013, 03:39 PM
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crugers View Post

Are you possibly talking about tabs that you previously had that opened automatically when you opened Firefox?
Yes.To be clear, I've been closing and reopening Firefox via File>Exit repeatedly and on occasion the "this is embarrassing" message would come up but there was always the option to restore the previous session but not this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by so-crates View Post
Yorky, exactly how many tabs have you pinned in Firefox?
The number of tabs I've lost is about thirty. I never intentionally 'pinned' any tabs
Old 05-09-2013, 07:32 PM
Frequent Poster

Quote:
...To be clear...
Sorry Yorky - I find it hard to understand how you have "lost" a tab, any tab...
If I open Firefox - I have it set up to open with one tab only and that will be Google Search - that is my home page!
If I want to access say AAM I go to Bookmarks, find AAM, click it and my one tab will open the AAM home page.
Sometimes I open the bookmark with a right mouse click and pick Open in New Tab. So now I have two tabs open one with AAM and one with Google Search.
AAM wasn't "LOST" I just hadn't it open!

Quote:
The number of tabs I've lost is about thirty. I never intentionally 'pinned' any tabs
Are you saying that before the current "incident", every time you opened Firefox, you would have +/-30 tabs open with different webpages?

What would/did you do if you found another website/webpage that you wanted to watch/monitor/frequent? How would you add it to the 30+ tabs already open?
Old 05-09-2013, 10:37 PM
Frequent Poster

Quote:
On opening Firefox after booting up my PC, the following message was displayed on the one and only tab:

Well, this is embarrassing.Firefox is having trouble recovering your windows and tabs. This is usually caused by a recently opened web page. You can try:
Removing one or more tabs that you think may be causing the problem
Starting an entirely new browsing session

There isn't the option to do either of the above-mentioned and the 'restore' button is greyed-out.

The version of Firefox is 23.0.1

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Yes.To be clear, I've been closing and reopening Firefox via File>Exit repeatedly and on occasion the "this is embarrassing" message would come up but there was always the option to restore the previous session but not this time.

Okay, firstly, I think you need going forward to start using bookmarks instead of having 30+ tabs opening, it doesn't help browser performance.

In order to stop your browser doing that, go to the Firefox menu and select Options. Select the General options, and in the "Startup" section, change the setting for "When Firefox starts:" from "Show my windows and tabs from last time" to either of the other two settings.

Am I understanding you correctly, you currently can't use Firefox at all?
What has probably happened is it is running into a problem opening one of the websites it is trying to open and possibly because of the number of tabs you maintain it is causing additional problems. Essentially every time you try to open Firefox you crash it. If this has been happening since the August security update it may be that one of those websites is either no longer compatible or had a security problem.

I think, if you can reset the options as I have told you above you should be able to open and use Firefox.

You are going to have to give up on opening your 30+ tabs though, it is unlikely you are going to get it past this problem.

Don't worry, they are still in your browser history, so you can find them again, only this time... Bookmark them! Just hit the star.

Good luck.