LPT: Have got bill for 2nd property disposed of in Feb 13. How to inform Revenue?

Billo

I just found out that I got a bill online for my own home and also for a second house that I sold in Feb 13.
They want to be notified in writing that the second house has been sold. Can I send them an e-mail saying that the house has been sold or do I have to send a letter manually ?

FAQ 2.3:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/lpt/
Local Property Tax (LPT) Frequently Asked Questions ( PDF 183KB)

2.3 What should I do if I receive an LPT Return in my name but I am not the owner of the residential property?

Within 30 days of receiving the LPT Return, you should write to Revenue and include
the following information:

• Explain why you do not consider yourself to be the liable person,
• Whatever supporting documentation that may be relevant, and
• The name(s), address(es)and PPSN(s) of the liable person(s).

Based on this information Revenue will make a determination on the matter. If you
fail to satisfy Revenue that you are not the liable person, you will be liable to pay the
LPT on the residential property.

How would a seller have the PPSN of a new owner ?

I send an e-mail back a few days ago (as sahd suggested )saying that I was not the owner of a particular property and giving name address and property ID and selling agent contact details. I asked for confirmation that it was ok by return e-mail. I heard nothing since.

I had a similar issue, and phoned the LPT helpline.

They asked me to complete Form LPT1, which I did by putting a note in section A that I did not know the name of the liable person, and accompanied the form with a note giving contact details for the solicitor who handled the sale. I was also able to tell them that their suggested valuation was two bands out!

I do not seem to have access to the LPT1 form so I rang the locall no 1890200255 and Fred assured me that the e-mail was acceptable and I would get a reply in due course. They are very busy as one would expect.

Still no reply to my e-mail.
I am still shown as being liable for that second property that I disposed of in Feb.
Can I charge Revenue fees and penalties for still holding me liable

Got a reply to my e-mail from LPT.

Second property removed from my name, but they want name of new owner of sold property.
I had given them selling agent contact details. Should I contact selling agent myself to get name og new owner or let them do it themselves.

Rgds

Your conveyancing solicitor should have the seller's name (and address? not sure about PPSN) as part of the relevant documentation (contract, stamp duty certificate, Property Registration Authority transfer certificate etc.).

Thanks Clubman,
The question is should the onus be on me to get the details for Revenue or should they do it themselves ?
I replied to Revenue already by e-mail and told them that I had not got the name or PPSN of new owner, but I gave them contact details of selling agent.

Thanks Clubman,
The question is should the onus be on me to get the details for Revenue or should they do it themselves ?
I replied to Revenue already by e-mail and told them that I had not got the name or PPSN of new owner, but I gave them contact details of selling agent.

If Revenue's information suggests that you are the property owner (which suggests the conveying instrument hasn't been submitted for stamping yet (stamp duty filing is done electronically nowadays)) then AFAIK the onus is on you to prove your not the person liable for the tax.

And seeing as you signed a contract, surely you should know who the counterparty was and be able to identify them?

If Revenue's information suggests that you are the property owner (which suggests the conveying instrument hasn't been submitted for stamping yet (stamp duty filing is done electronically nowadays)) then AFAIK the onus is on you to prove your not the person liable for the tax.

And seeing as you signed a contract, surely you should know who the counterparty was and be able to identify them?

I signed the contract all right but I did not learn it off by heart.
Once the new owner paid for the property what should it matter to me ?
I was not told that I should learn the name of new owner off by heart in case Revenue came looking at some future date.
I gave Revenue a link to property price register as well as details of selling agent.
Why should the onus be on me to give Revenue the name of new owner ? It is their problem now.
Rgds
Billo

I signed the contract all right but I did not learn it off by heart.
Once the new owner paid for the property what should it matter to me ?
I was not told that I should learn the name of new owner off by heart in case Revenue came looking at some future date.
I gave Revenue a link to property price register as well as details of selling agent.
Why should the onus be on me to give Revenue the name of new owner ? It is their problem now.
Rgds
Billo

As I said previously, if their records suggest you are the liable person then they have cause to collect the tax from you, so that's your "onus" to take whatever the most effective action is to ensure they don't pursue you for it.

Back