Go Back   Askaboutmoney.com > Don't Askaboutmoney > Phones, DVDs, TVs, Audio/Visual

Notices

Old 05-02-2013, 03:07 PM
Frequent Poster

Default Saving text messages from old phone

I'm getting two smartphones shortly, an android & iphone. I want to save some text messages which are on my current phone, an old Siemens C45.

I'm also going to change networks.

My existing number will be ported to the iphone but I won't be able to use my current SIM card in that so how can I save the text messages?

Is it possible to transfer these text messages to the other smartphone (Android) even though it will have a different number and network?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-02-2013, 03:18 PM
Frequent Poster

Can't you just forward these texts to your new Android?
Old 05-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by seantheman View Post
Can't you just forward these texts to your new Android?
Yes, but I want to retain the original sender's number whereas by forwarding them my current number would become the sender's number.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:32 PM
Frequent Poster

Take a photo of it on your old phone
Old 06-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Frequent Poster

Thanks for the replies. This may be suitable http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kit-Mobile-U.../dp/B000MQ3SXS Would the USB SIM card reader recognise & store the text messages and would it be compatible with a Mac ( may be getting one soon)

Have just put the SIM card in another phone and there are no text messages showing. Tried other SIM card in own phone & no text messages showing either.

Does this mean the messages would only be viewable on existing phone & SIM card?

Any other suggestions?
Old 06-02-2013, 01:59 PM

Text messages will be stored in the phone itself, and not the SIM. Most mobile manufacturers produce utilities software that allows you download messages, etc. from their phones to a PC. They often ship that with the phones. Do Siemens do likewise?
Old 06-02-2013, 02:17 PM
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorky View Post
Yes, but I want to retain the original sender's number whereas by forwarding them my current number would become the sender's number.
Is there a possibility you could forward the text to original sender and ask them to resend to new android
Old 06-02-2013, 02:46 PM
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by seantheman View Post
Is there a possibility you could forward the text to original sender and ask them to resend to new android
Yes but the original date of sending would change
Old 06-02-2013, 02:56 PM

It would be very handy to have a Cabbage type application where you could check and store your texts online. You can see your sent texts, but presumably not your received texts.

Brendan
Old 06-02-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorky View Post
Yes but the original date of sending would change
I think you're looking for the impossible there.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:38 PM
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Burgess View Post
It would be very handy to have a Cabbage type application where you could check and store your texts online. You can see your sent texts, but presumably not your received texts.

Brendan
SMS Backup+ app for android will backup your texts to GMail - its pretty nifty, not much use to the OP though. Siemen's own software seems the only option there.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Great Continental Steamer

The manual for the C45 is available here, but I don't know if it'll be much use to you. The words "backup/back up" don't appear anywhere in it, and the page on SMS messages just explains how to compose/send them.

God be with the days of 1" monochrome displays and midi ringtones; I used to go a full week or 10 days between charging the battery on that yoke...

Btw, if you're interested in acquiring a free leather case for it, c.1996, drop me a line. It's been lying in my man drawer ever since I "upgraded" to a Nokia 3510 — colour screen and all — just before the end of the 20th century.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:10 PM
Frequent Poster

Might be of some use to you, trial lasts 30 days apparently.

http://www.mobile-master.com/benq_siemens/c45.html

No idea if its any use as I never used it, but loads of apps out there, just spend a bit of time Googling.