Key Post Trading up, our story so far

Carmel

Carmel tells her story in this thread. I have discussed some of the issues involved in Buy now or rent now and buy later? - Brendan

Brendan asked me to outline our experiences trading up so here goes.....
Selling:
Two years ago this month, we put our 3 bed semi in West Dublin up for sale. We had bought it in 2004 planning to stay in it for 5 years. By 2010 we had two kids and needed more space. We wanted to settle in an area closer to our work and with good schools. A similar house in our estate had gone sale agreed very quickly and the estate agent convinced us that he had a number of interested parties. We had been through the option of keeping the house and renting it, but the figures didn't add up if we wanted to have a deposit for a new house, so we decided to put it up for sale.

A year later, we went sale agreed, having accepted an offer 20K lower than the first we had received. But we knew that the offers weren't going to get any higher, and we were also certain that we didn't want to stay living in the area that we were in. Also we still had some equity in the house and wanted to sell while we still had that. The really agonising decision when selling was that we knew that we were going to lose our tracker (NIB, ECB plus 0.5%). Still coming to terms with that :)

Renting:
We had assumed that it would be easy enough to find a nice house to rent in the area that we were looking for a house. A friend of a friend had recently gone through the same thing and when I rang her looking for advice on renting she told me that it had taken her 9 weeks to find a rental property. At that stage we had 3 weeks to closing so we concentrated our efforts! We really wanted to rent an unfurnished house so that we wouldn't have to pay for storage and also to have our own things around us. Finding a decent unfurnished house to rent in South Dublin was quite difficult. We found that there was alot of competition and that we we ended up bidding for a rental house (he who is willing to pay the most rent wins). In the end, we offered the asking rent on a house and that was accepted.

We don't like renting. When you have had your own house with things the way that you like them, it is a big change. We had thought that it would take us max. 6 months to find a new house, but had to sign a lease for 12 months (that seems to be standard with most rentals). I had looked into the implications of leaving the lease early, and it looked like the most we would lose would be a month's deposit so we took that risk. (I won't go into the detail here, but in general I understand that if you get someone else to rent a property for the remainder of a lease then you are not liable for the rent.) In general its just very unsettling being in a temporary situation while you look for a house, we hadn't really thought about that beforehand.

But, on the positive side, we have been able to suss out the area that we are living in and get to know it. The plan was that I would get the bus to work and I've been able to test the commute and know that it works. We don't want to move again after we buy this house, so we are being quite picky. Because prices have been falling, we haven't been in any rush. At one stage during the year, prices were falling at 1.5% per month. On a 500K house that's €7500, so even taking rent into account that was reassuring.

Getting a mortgage:
When we first went to the bank to check out getting a mortgage, they told us that we could borrow a huge figure that we wouldn't dream of borrowing. We applied for approval for a figure that we were happy with. In order to get approval we had to pick a property for sale and put in a 'fake' application based on that. We want to buy a fixer upper. One issue we had to be careful with was to ensure that the LTV would be acceptable and still have money left over to do the fixing up as the LTV is based on the purchase value. I should probably point out that I'm a public servant and my other half works for a large multi-national so we think that we are a good bet to get a mortgage.

Buying a new house:
We've been looking for a house actively now for a year. We have a checklist which doesn't sound too demanding, but we've been struggling to find houses that match it within our budget. For example, we are looking for a south or west facing back garden and one friend kindly pointed out to me that that automatically rules out half of the houses on most roads. As we are looking for a fixer upper, we'll continue to rent for a couple of months after buying until the work gets done (another cost to consider). We are looking in South County Dublin and judging from the viewings, there are loads of people just like us with young kids looking to buy at the moment.

We got figures done up by a QS on the first house that we were interested in. That was a good idea because the work required was going to cost twice as much as we thought and we ended up backing away from that one. The next house we fell in love with was taken off the market (we found out later that a family member had agreed to buy it). At the moment we are bidding on a house and last week went back to the bank asking for approval to borrow an extra 20K because we really like this one. Still waiting for an answer on that. The house is one and a half times the size of our previous home in a great location for our work and schools etc. There is one counter bidder and we know our limit so we are currently waiting to hear if he is going to up his bid. Its nail biting and quite emotional and draining. Everytime a house comes up that you like, you imagine yourself living in it and there is a little bit of a grieving process when it doesn't work out. Fingers crossed...........

Update 26 June

Sale Agreed:
When I last posted we were bidding on a house that ticked all of the boxes for us and had gone back to the bank looking for an extra 20K on the amount that we previously had approval for. The bids had gotten very close to our limit when the other bidder pulled out. We really wanted this house as we've been looking for a year and very few houses in our price range ticked all of the boxes. The house is an executor sale and needs some work, but we're really happy with the location, orientation, layout and size. Everything that needs to be fixed can be (with money of course!). It'll probably take a couple of years before we have everything the way we want it, but we'll put up with that.

Our last bid was 6.5% below asking and was accepted. We got a mortgage offer from the bank today. In the meantime I discovered that we should get some mortgage interest relief for buying in 2012, so that was a nice surprise.

I have been putting together a list of purchase costs and this is it so far:
Stamp duty: 1% of purchase price
Renting while house is being renovated: we're allowing 3 months rent
Mortgage protection: The best value I can find is hello.ie. This is significantly cheaper than that offered by the bank
House insurance: I haven't gone looking for this yet, but looking at other posts I think that it might be hard to get insurance while the renovation works are being done if the house isn't occupied. I've had a look at some posts about this and looking into that is next on the list.
Solicitor fees including land registry: 2500 approx
Survey and valuation: 500e approx (not finalised yet)

One item that I am hoping isn't going to be an issue is a condition from the bank looking for evidence that our savings have been accumulated over a satisfactory of time and are not from a debt provider, other borrowings or lump sum (for example an accident claim). Following advice on askaboutmoney.com :) I have been a bit of a rate tart and have moved our savings around quite a bit to get the best interest rate. I didn't always keep a record when I closed down accounts, so I'm not sure what exactly the bank are looking for in relation to this condition and how far back they will want to go.

It will be interesting to see what the bank are like to deal with, will keep you posted.

Last edited:
Carmel

That is a great story, well told. Given your experience, what advice would you give to people trading up?

Presumably you must be delighted with your decision so far?

If you were trading up from a €300k house a year ago to a €400k house now, for example, the €400k house is now about €340k.

So you have saved €60k through price drops.

You have lost the long term benefit of the tracker - c. €30k ( 10% of €300k)

You are paying more in rent than you would have paid in interest - probably about €20k. But you are living in a more suitable house for that money.

What I find particularly interesting is the overdemand or undersupply of unfurnished houses. Why don't landlords with three bedroom houses cater for this demand? It might even make sense to provide such a property on an open-ended basis to people like yourself who are prepared to pay a premium. If the going rent is €1,500 a month for a 12 month lease, charge €1,700 a month and allow the tenant to leave at one month's notice. Is ther any downside to that for the landlord?

Renting an unfurnished house

Hi Brendan

When we were looking at houses to rent, the market definately seemed to be aimed at students, with really poor furniture. I suppose because there is such a tradition of home ownership in Ireland, there doesn't seem to be an expectation that people with families and their own furniture will want to rent. Even when we rented an unfurnished house they left the iron, hoover and lawn mower in situ as if they didn't expect us to have these!

C

Very interesting reading.

We are currently trying to find a house to rent in north county Dublin, as our own is due to be extensively renovated, starting late summer. We want to stay as close to our neighbourhood as possible, as we have children in primary school and pre-school. There are plenty of two bedroom apartments to rent, but a dearth of family homes. Isabel Morton wrote about this in the Irish Times lately. I have been on to every estate agent and registered for updates on Daft, but in four weeks of active looking, we have only been offered two viewings, and in these cases, were told the landlord considered us "unsuitable" for both.

Regarding the lease, most proper landlords seem very open to letting you go to a month to month lease. My current place was a 6 month lease which is up and we are on a month to month basis. It was advertised as a 12 month lease. Once we explained we were buying in the area, he was ok with it.
Previous apt was month-to-month for 3+years and I know many people who are similar.

In the case of buying a house, you are likely to be able to give much more than a months notice. Use that to your advantage as it is a big selling point. Landlords like to have certainty.

There was a discussion recently about furnished vs unfurnished and most landlords said that you can only really target one side of the market and furnished is a much larger number.

Hi Carmel, I've just joined the forum and so glad to read your story as I'm in similiar position. I've just agreed sale of my house of 25years and i'm feeling a bit shook now that it's actually happened. I have lots of questions...will I buy or should I rent in the area I'd like? Will rental property allow pets? I am on a tracker mortage and wondering can I look for a closing deal from my bank? If I do buy a house what is the best rate? If you or anyone else can give me some more information on this I would be grateful

I am on a tracker mortage and wondering can I look for a closing deal from my bank?

You negotiate from a position of strength, unfortunately the first thing your Solicitor will do now that the sale is in progress,is to look for the redemption figures from your lender,this will of course light up the fact that you are in the process of selling and will settle the full outstanding amt presuming the sale closes.

Its no harm asking.UB will let you keep your tracker mortgage if you trade up and its only a matter of time before other lenders follow suit.

A sale will normally close in 6-8 weeks so you better get your skates on and decide whether to buy or rent.

I presume you have approached a broker/lender to see if you will qualify for a mortgage?? If not then you better get started as this is now a very drawn out process with no guarantee that you will be loan approved in principle.

You negotiate from a position of strength, unfortunately the first thing your Solicitor will do now that the sale is in progress,is to look for the redemption figures from your lender,this will of course light up the fact that you are in the process of selling and will settle the full outstanding amt presuming the sale closes.

Its no harm asking.UB will let you keep your tracker mortgage if you trade up and its only a matter of time before other lenders follow suit.

A sale will normally close in 6-8 weeks so you better get your skates on and decide whether to buy or rent.

I presume you have approached a broker/lender to see if you will qualify for a mortgage?? If not then you better get started as this is now a very drawn out process with no guarantee that you will be loan approved in principle.

Hi Knuttell,

What makes you so sure that other lenders will follow suit (like UB) and allow you keep your tracker when trading up?
I'm with AIB and would like to move in the next 2 years (all going well) so a similar annoucement to UB would help me greatly

....What I find particularly interesting is the overdemand or undersupply of unfurnished houses. Why don't landlords with three bedroom houses cater for this demand? ....

I think its a new area. Previously most tenants looked for furnished places. So bigger market, easier to rent. A huge negative of this, is the amount of replacing and repairing of furniture that goes on. If we followed the german model of renting a bare walls property newly painted, and the tenant handing it back in the same condition (newly painted), it would simply the whole issue of damage, cleaning retention of deposits, using deposits as rent etc.

I think renting unfurnished will only increase in demand.

It might even make sense to provide such a property on an open-ended basis to people like yourself who are prepared to pay a premium. If the going rent is €1,500 a month for a 12 month lease, charge €1,700 a month and allow the tenant to leave at one month's notice. Is ther any downside to that for the landlord?

In my limited experience short term tenants, don't look after a property aswell as long term tenant. You end doing a lot more repairs and cleaning. But I've not had the experience with tenants with their own furniture. Theres also the cost of registering new tenants frequently etc. Though as you say a higher rent would make that a less of an issue.

Hi Knuttell,

What makes you so sure that other lenders will follow suit (like UB) and allow you keep your tracker when trading up?

In general when one offers a certain product the others follow.BOSI introduced 100% mortgages in 2004-5?,within a short while they were all at it,the same with Tracker mortgages,also I think I heard/read that the other lenders were actively looking into it.

What I find particularly interesting is the overdemand or undersupply of unfurnished houses. Why don't landlords with three bedroom houses cater for this demand?

I wish I could do this, but the market is too small. No sooner would you have the property rented unfurnished and contents sold (at a loss plus hassle) or put in storage(cost & hassle) you'd find everyone wants furnished. There is a movement towards not supplying everything (pots & pans and dishes and irons etc), but then again people ask you for the most unlikely things. If the market was more stable, as in as a Landlord I knew the tenant would not leave then no problem. We do not have this and as far as I'm concerned landlords have no rights.

Re selling, moving, renting and buying on a short term basis. I sold the family home, but naturally couldn't move directly into the new home, about a six week gap, so where I am I arranged with the storage company to hold onto my stuff, normal here, and we moved into a temporary apartment, fully furnished. But I had to pay an entry survey and exit survey plus temporary accomodation is more expensive, but there're called short term furnished rentals. Altenatives in Ireland would be that elephant & storage type of thing, or maybe the removal companies have storage facilities and go stay in a holiday rental. Our move was deliberately timed to be in the summer (you can do that kind of timing here and most people with families do) so property sales are normally timed in Spring.

The main work in letting a place is finding tenants and switching them over. Short term letting means you do a lot more of this. Also you're more likely to gaps where theres no tenants.

Hi, thanks for response, really made me jump to action. I rang solictor and found nothing had went to my bank yet so told her to hold off. I rang bank and had difficulty getting someone to talk or meet with me(maybe they were all too busy!) Eventually when I did speak to someone, I was told that tracker would be gone if house sold and that all mortage applications are now scrutinised literally like a fine tooth comb. Banks look at income, all outgoings, dependents and lifestyle, so the actual amount that you would be allowed borrowed is not the amount you get when everything is taken into account. Seems they have gone from one extereme to another!
Another question I have is can I claim tax relief for rent?

I was told that tracker would be gone if house sold and that all mortage applications are now scrutinised literally like a fine tooth comb. Banks look at income, all outgoings, dependents and lifestyle, so the actual amount that you would be allowed borrowed is not the amount you get when everything is taken into account. Seems they have gone from one extereme to another!

The fact you haven't secured or even looked into whether or not you will get a new mortgage should be a cause for concern unless of course you may wish to rent for the rest of your life.

You mentioned that you have owned this property for 25 years,so taking that you bought it aged say 25 that makes you 50,a few banks like UB will only lend for a mortgage up to 65 so if you are 50 that means a mortgage of 15 years,this should also inform your decision to sell,if it were me I would probably not have put a property up for sale without some exit plan as to where I would be living when I have sold,you really need to look at getting a broker and seeing how much you can borrow and if this amt will buy you the type of property in an area that selling up would make it worthwhile....otherwise you are wasting your buyers/Solicitors and E/As time.

Further update: Sale Agreed

I have amended the original post to include this post - Brendan

Hi there
I thought that I could edit my original post to add an update, but I can't find the edit option. The good news is that we are now sale agreed:

Sale Agreed:
When I last posted we were bidding on a house that ticked all of the boxes for us and had gone back to the bank looking for an extra 20K on the amount that we previously had approval for. The bids had gotten very close to our limit when the other bidder pulled out. We really wanted this house as we've been looking for a year and very few houses in our price range ticked all of the boxes. The house is an executor sale and needs some work, but we're really happy with the location, orientation, layout and size. Everything that needs to be fixed can be (with money of course!). It'll probably take a couple of years before we have everything the way we want it, but we'll put up with that.

Our last bid was 6.5% below asking and was accepted. We got a mortgage offer from the bank today. In the meantime I discovered that we should get some mortgage interest relief for buying in 2012, so that was a nice surprise.

I have been putting together a list of purchase costs and this is it so far:
Stamp duty: 1% of purchase price
Renting while house is being renovated: we're allowing 3 months rent
Mortgage protection: The best value I can find is hello.ie. This is significantly cheaper than that offered by the bank
House insurance: I haven't gone looking for this yet, but looking at other posts I think that it might be hard to get insurance while the renovation works are being done if the house isn't occupied. I've had a look at some posts about this and looking into that is next on the list.
Solicitor fees including land registry: 2500 approx
Survey and valuation: 500e approx (not finalised yet)

One item that I am hoping isn't going to be an issue is a condition from the bank looking for evidence that our savings have been accumulated over a satisfactory of time and are not from a debt provider, other borrowings or lump sum (for example an accident claim). Following advice on askaboutmoney.com :) I have been a bit of a rate tart and have moved our savings around quite a bit to get the best interest rate. I didn't always keep a record when I closed down accounts, so I'm not sure what exactly the bank are looking for in relation to this condition and how far back they will want to go.

It will be interesting to see what the bank are like to deal with, will keep you posted.

C

Hi Carmel, I presume its a BOI loan offer. We just got ours today with the exactly same wording. We too shifted lump sums around over the past few years particularly when interest rate promotions ended on accounts. I too am a bit concerned. But hoping that a regular saver of €1k a month since last Nov will cover it.

Would be grateful if you could keep me updated as to how you get on.

I've done similar with my savings and was told by BOI that once I can show them building up it should be fine. Since most of the accounts were open for at least a few months so can show statements over a period of time. Then a side note on the current one explaining where any of the larger deposits come from so that they know it isn't gifts/loans.

Back