TONERGATE : Aengus O'Snodaigh owes Dail €3,700 for printer cartridges since 2009.

TarfHead

I read that he has confirmed that he owes €3700 and will pay up when he gets around to it. That's a significant amount of money for someone who draws just the average industrial wage.

Maybe the operators of the green bin collection system in Dublin South Central (aka Terenue :p) might make a contribution ? He seems to have being generating a lot of business for them since 2007 ;).

Acknowledging that he owes the House a sum of €3,700 for charges associated with his use of printer cartridges since 2009, Mr Ó Snodaigh said Oireachtas officials had contacted him in the past to remind him of his debt but that he had not got around to paying it. “It’s due, it will be paid,” he added.

Just wasn't clear to me what the money was for so I went searching

Isn't this totally outrageous?

An amount is due since 2009 - 3 years ago - and he has not got around to paying it?

He should be charged interest on the amount owed at a punitive rate - 100% of the amount owed for each of the years.

It is disgraceful behaviour by a public representative.

Has he resigned yet?

Marion

Why would I joke?

We can set standards that we expect of our public representatives - remember we are paying their salaries - or we can go along with what we were used to doing with regard to their behaviour. Nothing!

Personally, I would like to see resignations/PRESSURE TO RESIGN for all behaviour not fitting of a public representative - paid by the taxpayer - as a matter of duty.

This would apply to those public representatives - AKA - TDs (AND SENATORS) - advocating non-compliance with tax issues as they currently stand (including the Household Charge).

Marion

Apparently he does a lot of leaflet drops in his constituency. Two a week on average. I live in his constituency and have no memory of seeing any coming through the letter box.

€50,000 bill for photocopying - The cost of dropping leaflets??

Why does he feel the need to drop 2 leaflets a week? Completely puzzled - no icon to reflect this.

Marion

TONERGATE

Getting the taxpayer to pay for virtually one toner cartridge per working day is unbelievable. What was he printing - banknotes - now that his party have given up bank heists. Is his failure to pay the outstanding bill another part of the SF campaign against Household Charges etc.
And them he attempts to blame the Local Authority and Government. SF's brass-neck has no limits.
And now as expected they will oppose the Fiscal Compact Referendum. Perhaps if they adopted some fiscal constraint in spending taxpayers money they might do the State some service.

Just think of the amount of waste paper!!!!!!. Must be mounds of the stuff in the recycle centres in that constituency. Was he printing phone books

Was this paper included in the €50,000?

If not what is the true cost? But, really what does it matter. The amount is huge regardless.

Why do we - the much pressed-upon taxpayer - tolerate this type of behaviour?

He should be compelled by public opinion to resign!

We are treated as fools otherwise.

Marion

Its irresponsible behaviour - he should pay back plain and simple. The other problem is that I've no doubt that there is just as much waste elsewhere in what they are spending.

If he was self employed - would he spend that much? Prob not - if he did he'd be out of business. Have these blokes any cop on at all?

Just think of the amount of waste paper!!!!!!. Must be mounds of the stuff in the recycle centres in that constituency. Was he printing phone books

Would be interesting to know if he recycled the toner units? :confused:

Surely disposing of that number of units on a regular basis would have attracted attention, and, if he didn't recycle them then he needs to be asked why not?

The whole episode is ridiculous. How can politicians spend so much on bloody toner. Surely if you are planning a leaflet drop of thousands of leaflets, you would get them printed by a professional printing shop where it will be a lot cheaper than using your home or office printer.

I live in his constituency and have only ever received a leaflet at election time. Am I being discriminated against :)?

Lots of mentions in the papers of Sinn Fein and "cartridges", "The Cartridge family", etc.

Even Mary Lou said the amount seemed excessive.

Could these toners be used industrially to produce something like, I dunno, a certain newspaper?

Intersting. I don't think any of the constituants he has dropped half a forsest of leaflets into would be allowed to go 3 years not paying their TV licence.

Intersting. I don't think any of the constituants he has dropped half a forsest of leaflets into would be allowed to go 3 years not paying their TV licence.
They wouldn't have time to watch the TV with all the leaflets to read.

Back