Go Back   Askaboutmoney.com > Forums no longer in use > Opinions on Budget 2014

Old 07-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Frequent Poster

Default Child Benefit: multiple births

The situation at the moment (2011) is as follows:

The rate for the 1st and 2nd child is €140.00 per month, €167.00 for the 3rd child and €177.00 for the 4th and subsequent children.

Multiple births

The rate of child benefit paid for twins will be 1.5 times the appropriate monthly rate for each child.

Example: If you have 2 children already, and then have twins, the twins will be the 3rd and 4th children in the family. Therefore the monthly payment for the twins will be €250.50 (€167.00 x 1.5) plus €265.50 (€177.00 x 1.5).

Where the multiple birth involves three or more children, the rate of benefit paid is double the appropriate monthly rate, provided at least three of the children remain qualified.

In addition, a special 'once-off' grant of €635 is paid on all multiple births. Further 'once-off' grants of €635 are paid when the children are 4 years of age and 12 years of age.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Frequent Poster

What has happened in Budget 2012?

The one-off grants for multiple births have been abolished.

"From next January, Child Benefit will be maintained at €140 per month for each of the first two children. The rates applying to the third and subsequent children will be standardised at €140 per child per month over the next two years. In 2012 the monthly rate for the third child will be €148 and for the fourth and each subsequent child will be €160. The rationalisation of child benefit payment rates to a single rate is an important component of introducing a more appropriate system of child income supports.

Furthermore, the grant of €635 paid at birth on all multiple births and further grants of €635 paid when the children are 4 years of age and 12 years of age will be discontinued.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Frequent Poster

My question:

Should twins continue to get 3 CB payments every month?

Do parents of twins incur 150% of the costs of rearing 2 children, aged 1 year apart?

My suggestion:

Reinstate the one-off payments, e.g. to buy more expensive buggy,

Abolish the third CB payment for twins.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Frequent Poster

I have twins, not sure if it costs double, but it is more expensive: 2 car seats, double buggy, we had to change one of our cars.
If we had 2 babies a year apart we could have recycled a lot of the gear.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:48 PM
Frequent Poster

I have twins also. There are some additional costs due to having children of the same age, but some savings also, including a considerable saving in shared books and toys.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:48 PM
Frequent Poster

I think it would have been fair to continue giving the first grant on birth and take away the other ones - cost for the exchequer of that grant is only about €1m a year. Most of the extra cost is for equipement such as buggies and car seats.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Frequent Poster

Parents of multiples get one set of maternity leave, but are however hit with the childcare costs for returning to work all at once. This can leave these parents in a position where they find it difficult to afford to work but cannot afford not to. The ongoing higher rate insulates against this.

This alone is quite apart from the cost of changing transport which is another necessity for most to work.

After all that, then one can start to look at more trivial items.
Yes, I would say it is a fair supplement.