Go Back   Askaboutmoney.com > The Depths > Letting Off Steam

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-12-2011, 09:43 AM
TarfHead TarfHead is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Location: Dublin
Posts: 1,605
Default Irish Rail announce 'Budget - Day III'

In addition to Ministers Howlin and Noonan, Irish Rail have announced their own raid on customer's pockets.

Car parking charges are to increase from the current rate of 2.00 per day to 3.00 - a 50% increase.

The increase can be avoided by signing up for an SMS-based service, but there's an additional monthly charge on that service, plus some 'stealth' charges, if you're not paying attention, i.e. 20c per text they choose to send you about the service.



[UPDATE]
The terms and conditions include the following "parkbytext shall be entitled to deduct Parking Fees, Account Maintenance Charges and other sums and charges due to it pursuant to the terms hereof, from the funds received from the User from time to time, as the same shall be incurred. The charges which parkbytext may deduct under this clause shall (without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing) include such charges as parkbytext may notify from time to time in connection with misuse or the issue of additional statements or reports to the User."


What does "(without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing)" mean to the average consumer ? To me, it reads "we'll hit you with additional or increased charges as we see fit".
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Sunny Sunny is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 3,075
Default

Did you notice that they have actually taken it down from their website so have no idea what the story is. It was as sneaky as hell to try and get this in under the radar.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-12-2011, 10:12 AM
T McGibney T McGibney is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Location: Cavan
Posts: 1,776
Default

Yet another reason not to take the train Irish Rail must think they're Ryanair.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-12-2011, 01:34 PM
The_Banker The_Banker is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Location: Cork City by Th
Posts: 317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarfHead View Post
In addition to Ministers Howlin and Noonan, Irish Rail have announced their own raid on customer's pockets.

Car parking charges are to increase from the current rate of 2.00 per day to 3.00 - a 50% increase.

The increase can be avoided by signing up for an SMS-based service, but there's an additional monthly charge on that service, plus some 'stealth' charges, if you're not paying attention, i.e. 20c per text they choose to send you about the service.



[UPDATE]
The terms and conditions include the following "parkbytext shall be entitled to deduct Parking Fees, Account Maintenance Charges and other sums and charges due to it pursuant to the terms hereof, from the funds received from the User from time to time, as the same shall be incurred. The charges which parkbytext may deduct under this clause shall (without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing) include such charges as parkbytext may notify from time to time in connection with misuse or the issue of additional statements or reports to the User."


What does "(without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing)" mean to the average consumer ? To me, it reads "we'll hit you with additional or increased charges as we see fit".

Down here in Cork (Ceannt Station) it is 7 per day to park up.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-12-2011, 01:48 PM
TarfHead TarfHead is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Location: Dublin
Posts: 1,605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Banker View Post
Down here in Cork (Ceannt Station) it is 7 per day to park up.
That's being increased to 8.00.

The 2.00/3.00 is for suburban stations in Dublin. Do you have many of those in Cork ?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Firefly Firefly is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 1,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarfHead View Post
That's being increased to 8.00.

The 2.00/3.00 is for suburban stations in Dublin. Do you have many of those in Cork ?
Reminds me when I was going out with a Dublin girl once and she asked me if we had buses in Cork. (And before you ask Purple, yes we do )
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-12-2011, 01:56 PM
Sunny Sunny is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 3,075
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
Reminds me when I was going out with a Dublin girl once and she asked me if we had buses in Cork. (And before you ask Purple, yes we do )
Aren't they just the ones that we donate from up here when we are finished with them??
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-12-2011, 02:12 PM
ninsaga ninsaga is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Location: The Real Capita
Posts: 961
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
Reminds me when I was going out with a Dublin girl once and she asked me if we had buses in Cork. (And before you ask Purple, yes we do )
....says it all really.... just another Dub lacking education
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-12-2011, 02:37 PM
DB74 DB74 is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 1,383
Default

This was announced on Monday
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-12-2011, 02:46 PM
Firefly Firefly is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 1,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
Aren't they just the ones that we donate from up here when we are finished with them??
No


edit.....

I only now realise you were talking about buses after reading Tarfhead's post below
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-12-2011, 03:10 PM
TarfHead TarfHead is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Location: Dublin
Posts: 1,605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
Aren't they just the ones that we donate from up here when we are finished with them??
The ones that are open at the back ? Step on, step off with a pole ? Cool ? Is Cork like Dublin was, 30 years ago ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB74 View Post
This was announced on Monday
First I knew of it was a leaflet under my windscreen wiper this morning.

Budget - Day I. A good day to bury news.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-12-2011, 03:16 PM
Sunny Sunny is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 3,075
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarfHead View Post
The ones that are open at the back ? Step on, step off with a pole ? Cool ? Is Cork like Dublin was, 30 years ago ?
That's the way I always picture it. Just trying to figure out how they are managing to communicate through the internet from down there. Maybe we gave them a few of those dial up modems as well.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-12-2011, 03:57 PM
Firefly Firefly is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 1,406
Default

See post 10 Sunny for a chuckle!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Sunny Sunny is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 3,075
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
See post 10 Sunny for a chuckle!
Ha ha!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Firefly Firefly is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 1,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
Ha ha!
I knew it wouldn't take long for this to happen

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showpos...&postcount=191
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-12-2011, 09:16 AM
themetunegal themetunegal is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 92
Default

Hi All,

As a commuter, I find this increase disgraceful. 50% increase bears no relationship whatsoever to current inflation rates and (in our carpark) no increased security or services.

I have written a note to our Minister for Transport on the matter although I guess I may as well be whistling in the wind.

Interesting how the carparks have suddenly become Irish Rail carparks when, to date, they were privately operated carparks and Irish Rail would have nothing to do with complaints etc...

Happy Thursday everyone ;-)
__________________
Theme-Tune Gal
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Delboy Delboy is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Location: Nth Dub
Posts: 614
Default

you could always pay by text and there's no increase according to the OP above
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-12-2011, 02:38 PM
TarfHead TarfHead is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Location: Dublin
Posts: 1,605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
you could always pay by text and there's no increase according to the OP above
QUOTE=TarfHead;1226476]The increase can be avoided by signing up for an SMS-based service, but there's an additional monthly charge on that service, plus some 'stealth' charges, if you're not paying attention, i.e. 20c per text they choose to send you about the service.[/QUOTE]

Regardless of how you pay, the cost of parking increases next week, though the 50% increase can be avoided.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:48 PM.