BoI Laser Termination Date Confirmed: Jan 31st 2012

BoI have finally confirmed the date that they will stop issuing Laser cards as January 31st 2012.

Existing customers will get the new Visa Debit card before June 30th 2012.

Source: Advertisment in todays Irish Times.

If someone "loses" their Laser card on or after the 31 of January, would they be given a Visa Debit instead?!

When are they going to tell their customers about this?
What are the benefits of one over the other?
I am with BOI and if I am not convinced might move to another bank or are all banks changing?

All the banks are leaving laser or will eventually. Have had visa debit for couple of years now. No problems at all.

When are they going to tell their customers about this?
What are the benefits of one over the other?
I am with BOI and if I am not convinced might move to another bank or are all banks changing?

Probably January 2012 or February 2012.

Visa Debit can be used online much more widely than Laser.

All banks are changing except NIB for now.

Mine expires at the end of Feb '12. Hopefully get sent the visa debit in its place

Airtricity charge €5 surcharge to pay with visa debit. Wonder are there many others who will follow suit

Airtricity charge €5 surcharge to pay with visa debit. Wonder are there many others who will follow suit

Typical of Airtricity to have, yet more, hidden charges.

Berfair also charge more for Visa Debit, as do others.

There are more 3rd party wire charges with Visa Debit than Laser.

My kids who both currently have Boi laser,were sent forms to fill and return by Dec 23 to 'upgrade' to Visa Debit,as it requires parental consent

Does anybody know whether VISA DEBIT will be accepted by Aldi and Lidl. At the moment, they only accept Laser

They have both accepted Visa Debit for at least the last 18 months.
It is staff in the shops that have not been educated.

I heard someone say today that retailers will be passing on the percentage charged by VISA to BoI debit card users??? Is this possible? Does this mean that for supermarket shopping, petrol etc where I normally pay by laser, I will now be faced with a 5% extra by the said retailers as they do not wish to carry it?
If this is the case, then larger amounts of cash will be carried by people, increasing the likelihood of robberies etc.

Back