Go Back   Askaboutmoney.com > The Depths > Letting Off Steam

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-11-2011, 06:11 PM
NOAH NOAH is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 723
Default Why no mention of that "bankrupcty"

Was out all day and heard the bold QUINN has gone gone for banruptcy in Belfast, I was driving and did a swerve when I heard this bit " I was born, reared and worked all my life in Co Fermanagh. It is for this reason that my bankruptcy application was made today in Belfast"

Where does this bit about Cavan and what he has done there for the locals come into it? I thought all his businesses were in Southern Ireland? Where is that big house?

Can he return to the south in 12 months time and start up again as if nothing happened?

n--
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-11-2011, 06:34 PM
T McGibney T McGibney is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Location: Cavan
Posts: 1,841
Default

Quinn is indeed a native of Fermanagh. He has extensive business interests in Fermanagh including his first cement factory, the glass factory and the Quinn corporate hq. Quinn Direct has a large office in Enniskillen employing hundreds of workers.

Quinn over his lifetime has indeed done a lot for the economies of Cavan and Fermanagh. However the Irish media doesn't pay any attention to what goes on in that part of Northern Ireland once it doesn't involve either cross-border shopping or someone getting murdered, so you never hear a word, good or bad, about Quinn's contribution to Fermanagh or how he is perceived there.

Quinn is a wise man to avail of the more lenient bankruptcy system in the UK. He would have been an idiot to subject himself to the tender mercies of the equivalent Irish regime that would have seen him emerge from bankruptcy at age 76.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Sunny Sunny is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 3,077
Default

Amazing how creating a few jobs is supposed to make us somehow forget that he owes the Irish taxpayer over 2 billion and we are now all paying a levy on our insurance policies to pay for Quinn.

By all accounts Anglo are looking into the bankruptcy.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-11-2011, 07:06 PM
T McGibney T McGibney is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Location: Cavan
Posts: 1,841
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
Amazing how creating a few jobs is supposed to make us somehow forget that he owes the Irish taxpayer over 2 billion and we are now all paying a levy on our insurance policies to pay for Quinn.
Remind me again, who has forgotten this
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-11-2011, 08:23 PM
z107
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
Amazing how creating a few jobs is supposed to make us somehow forget that he owes the Irish taxpayer over 2 billion
It wasn't Quinn that guaranteed the banks back in 2008.
Do you understand that?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-11-2011, 09:47 PM
RMCF RMCF is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 1,430
Default

Couldn't agree more.

Can't understand how this guy is held up as a hero is certain circles. I have watched various news reports where people would back him to the hilt and say how much great work he done.

For me, he just epitomises all that was wrong with the Tiger, and he left us all paying for his recklessness and greed. He gets off owing €2,800,000,000, yet the ordinary Joe int he street will end up in prison or on the streets if he was to owe a fraction of that.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-11-2011, 10:49 PM
Sunny Sunny is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 3,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T McGibney View Post
Remind me again, who has forgotten this
Plenty of people. Check previous threads on this subject.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Sunny Sunny is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 3,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by umop3p!sdn View Post
It wasn't Quinn that guaranteed the banks back in 2008.
Do you understand that?
I understand that but have no idea what point you are making.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-11-2011, 12:31 AM
z107
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
I understand that but have no idea what point you are making.
Well you said that he owes the Irish taxpayer over €2 billion. Well he didn't owe the Irish tax payer anything until the banks were guaranteed by the Irish Government.

Can you see where I'm going with this now, and what my point is? -or are you just trolling?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-11-2011, 01:05 AM
RonanC RonanC is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Location: Dublin
Posts: 1,153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by umop3p!sdn View Post
Well you said that he owes the Irish taxpayer over €2 billion. Well he didn't owe the Irish tax payer anything until the banks were guaranteed by the Irish Government.

Can you see where I'm going with this now, and what my point is? -or are you just trolling?
Sean Quinn owes the Irish taxpayer 2.8bn euro because the Irish Government nationalised Anglo. A seperate issue to the bank guarantee.

Sean Quinn has also cost the Irish taxpayer over 600million euro over the shocking way he was running his insurance company.

And as an Irish resident, he runs to a court in Belfast and declares himself bankrupt.

What a hero he really is, what a role model.

Last edited by RonanC; 12-11-2011 at 01:07 AM. Reason: additional text
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-11-2011, 08:12 AM
Sunny Sunny is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 3,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by umop3p!sdn View Post
Well you said that he owes the Irish taxpayer over €2 billion. Well he didn't owe the Irish tax payer anything until the banks were guaranteed by the Irish Government.

Can you see where I'm going with this now, and what my point is? -or are you just trolling?
The government guaranteed the banks liabilities. What on earth has that got to do with the money that Sean Quinn borrowed from Anglo? It doesnt matter who he owes money to if i am honest. The fact is that the guy was worth billions at the peak but decided that this wasn't enough for him and so gambled everything on getting even richer including his employees futures. Now according to some people, we are supposed to accept that he is a good man who just made a mistake. Well so were the bankers, polticians and regulators who got us into this mess an we dont think twice about vilifying them. Remember the protest marches in support of Quinn?

So maybe you should get your facts right before accusing people of trolling.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-11-2011, 09:08 AM
Knuttell Knuttell is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonanC View Post
Sean Quinn owes the Irish taxpayer 2.8bn euro because the Irish Government nationalised Anglo. A seperate issue to the bank guarantee.

Sean Quinn has also cost the Irish taxpayer over 600million euro over the shocking way he was running his insurance company.

And as an Irish resident, he runs to a court in Belfast and declares himself bankrupt.

What a hero he really is, what a role model.
Nicely put.

Classy,runs up fantastic debts here and scuttles across the border to escape them.

I watched the news last night and there was the usual talking heads from in and around where Quinn lives,these people except one were highly sympathetic to Quinner and expressed how bad they felt at his fall,despite the fact that they and their children will be paying for it for decades...now what struck me about these people is,that these are the type that keep returning the Lowrys and the Beverly Cooper Flynns.

It probably isn't democratic but I think the right to vote should be tied to an IQ test.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-11-2011, 10:22 AM
T McGibney T McGibney is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Location: Cavan
Posts: 1,841
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuttell View Post
.now what struck me about these people is,that these are the type that keep returning the Lowrys and the Beverly Cooper Flynns.

It probably isn't democratic but I think the right to vote should be tied to an IQ test.
This post makes my blood boil. You have some cheek to make judgments about the IQs of others whose opinion does not concur with yours.

It wasnt only the slow-witted country bumpkins in Cavan who ever voted for Charlie Haughey, Ray Burke, Liam Lawlor or Bertie Ahern. Not to mention Garret Fitzgerald who racked up ruinous personal debts and got them written off in a sweetheart deal

ps The independent Quinn employees candidate came 11th in this year's election in Cavan/Monaghan.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-11-2011, 10:53 AM
Knuttell Knuttell is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T McGibney View Post
This post makes my blood boil. You have some cheek to make judgments about the IQs of others whose opinion does not concur with yours.
In the real world this actually happens a great deal..

and then you go on to say..

Quote:
It wasnt only the slow-witted country bumpkins in Cavan
Oh dear! did you really say that?Despite telling me I have some cheek to be making judgments on others IQs?? why yes you did...

You're tripping over yourself in your effort to be outraged.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-11-2011, 10:59 AM
T McGibney T McGibney is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Location: Cavan
Posts: 1,841
Default

Sorry, I have no absolutely idea what your point is. Must be my inferior IQ.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Knuttell Knuttell is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T McGibney View Post
Quinn over his lifetime has indeed done a lot for the economies of Cavan
Its a terrible pity then that there isn't any way they can shoulder all the debt he has splattered over the rest of us...

I can guarantee you one thing,there would be precious few in Cavan ready to give interviews to RTE saying what a grand fella he is and it being a terrible blow for him and his "fambly" because I will tell you something for nothing,there are precious few outside Cavan that hold him in anything other than contempt.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-11-2011, 11:49 AM
T McGibney T McGibney is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Location: Cavan
Posts: 1,841
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuttell View Post
Its a terrible pity then that there isn't any way they can shoulder all the debt he has splattered all over the rest of us...

I can guarantee you one thing,there would be precious few in Cavan ready to give interviews to RTE saying what a grand fella he is and it being a terrible blow for him and his fambly(sic)because I will tell you something for nowt,there are precious few outside Cavan that hold him in anything other than contempt.
I have not defended Quinn on this thread, yet you have selectively quoted my opening post to give the opposite impression. I don't know what your agenda is but I have no intention of continuing to engage with your trolling.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Purple Purple is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Location: Suburbia
Posts: 6,007
Default

Sean Quinn ran businesses he understood very well.
He then got into businesses he knew nothing about and tried to run them. The net result was some very dodgy dealings and a viability to the state of well over two billion. Let’s be clear here; this isn’t a hard luck story about a conservatively run business that fell because of difficult trading conditions, this is a story about a man who gambled everything he had, and plenty other people had as well, and lost.
An employer has a responsibility to their employees as well as their shareholders to run the business properly and without unnecessary risk. In my opinion Sean Quinn failed to do this and plenty of people who can’t afford to go to the UK to avail of their bankruptcy laws have been left to pick up the pieces.

As for the jobs he created in Cavan and the border region; with a net cost in the billions it wasn’t worth it.
__________________
Better to be a man of character than one of means
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Pope John 11 Pope John 11 is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 765
Default

Yes, Sean Quinn gives the two fingers to the Irish Tax payer

No respect for the man, but if he does set up businesses again he can gain my respect back by paying his debts, like us all.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Knuttell Knuttell is offline
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T McGibney View Post
I don't know what your agenda is but I have no intention of continuing to engage with your trolling.
My adgenda as you call it is simple...I am a taxpayer...I need no further adgenda than that,I and my children children (if they haven't had to emigrate) will be paying for this decades from now,so I think this entitles me to give an opinion on it.

Trolling???This seems to be the out clause whenever someone has run out of runway for their argument or has been shown up to be deluded.

Here are some quotes that "made my blood boil" I could give you close to 2.8 billion reasons but to my mind anyone defending or sympathizing with Quinn needs to be pulled up and pulled up hard on the consequences of this individuals almost single handed bankrupting of the State...regardless of Bank Guarantees or any other back ground noise..


Quote:
Quinn over his lifetime has indeed done a lot for the economies of Cavan and Fermanagh.
Quote:
Quinn is a wise man to avail of the more lenient bankruptcy system in the UK.
I wonder will you be half so sympathetic towards your fellow County man after the Budget in December.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:52 PM.