Go Back   Askaboutmoney.com > General Financial Issues > Health Insurance and healthcare costs

Old 31-08-2011, 09:37 AM
New User

Default Hospital Saturday Fund

I am sure this has been discussed before but I cant find it anywhere.

ww.hsf.eu

So was just wondering if anyone has been a part of this scheme or has any experience or any advice good or bad about these people

Thanks
Clio
Old 31-08-2011, 01:57 PM
Frequent Poster

I looked at it myself a while ago...The HSF is not a health insurance. Many people who are on those plans seem to combine them with a traditional private health insurance. It seems to be good for medical day to day expenses.

For example, if you are admitted in hospital, I believe that they pay a set fee per night, depending on the plan you are on. They will not pay for inpatient fees, surgery etc...

Many expenses are not covered,
You must also claim within 6 months of incurring the expense.

The recurring statement seems to be that it does not replace a private health insurance.
Old 31-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Frequent Poster

I have been with the HSF for at least ten years and I find them great, I have got refunds for going to doctor, dentist, opticians I find them excellent to deal with very quick with payments
Old 31-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Frequent Poster

The plan only pays out for outpatient claims. Aviva and VHI also offer standalone outpatient plans.

If you have a health insurance plan you could include generous outpatient cover within the plan without having to pay for separate cover.

Patrick
Old 31-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by clionaricho View Post
I am sure this has been discussed before but I cant find it anywhere.

ww.hsf.eu

So was just wondering if anyone has been a part of this scheme or has any experience or any advice good or bad about these people

Thanks
Clio
Yes, I found them grand but very pernickety about claiming within a certain time. Also, the limits on claiming are on a rolling 12 month basis. I think I may join again as the private health insurance has become very expensive. HIA.ie has a very good comparison facility. Also, note that you can put kids on for free on one of Quinn's plans while putting yourselves on another also with Quinn. Slim