How long do car tyres last *without* much mileage?

scallywag

I have the same tyres on my car now for about 8 years. I do very low mileage (about 40,000 miles in that time).

I'm guessing the tyres degrade over time. I did the NCT about a year ago and passed with no problems.

Is it time to look at getting new tyres?

8 years? Thats a long time, too long in my opinion.

I'd be looking at the sidewalls for signs of the rubber breaking down. Any sign and i'd have them changed straight away.

If you've done 40,000 on the same tyres you are doing very well, I would hazard a guess at a careful driver in a low powered car. But you must me getting close to minimum tread depth on the driving wheels (front wheels if it is a front wheel drvie car). I would check this first and if they look ok carry on. There is tread wear indicator blocks on the tyre which is a small block of rubber in the main grooves and if this is flush with the rest of the tyre it is time for new ones. The TWI is sometimes marked on the sidewall and look across the part of the tyre in contact with the road from that point you will find it.

Last edited:
One person I know had a set of tyres that looked fine but the tyres had gone off in that they'd gone hard, they ended up aquaplaning down the M50 a 360 spin. didn't hit anything other than the barrier. only light damage.

On a slight side issue, check your tyres for an "E or e" number, eg e2 or E13 etc, usually surrounded by a circle or square.
This e number is an Nct requirement only since last November, if your tyres don't have this they will have to be changed before your next Nct anyway.

A tyrefitter told me that 6 years is the max recommended age of a car tyre.

While the e mark was added to the list of NCT checks in April 2010, it has been illegal to sell tyres without this mark since 1997!

HI Leo,
I bought a set of Dunlops without e marks 3 years ago.
Where can I find official reference to this Law? I would like to bring it to the sellers notice!
Thanks!
JB

Back