Pre-fabriacated houses in Ireland?

laoisfan

Hi

I was recently watching an old episode of Grand Designs (2-4 yrs old I believe) and basically a couple designed their house using an American company who pre-fabricated it for them & shipped it to the UK. The company sent representatives who helped put it together.

Anyway, has anyone any experience of this type of house building in Ireland?

Reason I ask is because I have a bit of land (1.3 acres) and this idea really caught my eye. Was thinking of using Swedish designs though.

I did see the following http://www.scandia-hus.co.uk who are an English company based in UK but with a Swedish sounding name.

Really I just want to see if anyone has an experience of such builds here in Ireland, pro/cons etc. Do local councils look favorably on such *green* builds for examples?

Thanks.

There's a show on the Home channel called My Flatpack Home.

I don't think any were recorded here in Ireland, but there was a huge variety of projects and suppliers, I found it great watching. Not sure if it's being shown currently, but there's lots of info on their website.

http://uktv.co.uk/home/dgiped/kw/228

I have a Griffner pre fab. I'm happy with it but they're no longer in business in Ireland!

Had no problems with planning and build was relatively headache free

Hi laoisfan

Local Authorities are generally in favour of the contemporary pre-fabricated houses, provided they are not visually obtrusive and are up to all planning and buildings regulation standards (in this regard some need tweaking.)

Like any other build, approach the L.A. for a pre-planning meeting to discuss and agree any issues.

I have dealt with a small number of these and I think they are going to become very popular, particularly in more rural areas due to low costs, ease of assembly etc.

Good luck

Huf Haus are another option. They launched a [broken link removed] in Ireland last year. See this previous .

Hi

I was recently watching an old episode of Grand Designs (2-4 yrs old I believe) and basically a couple designed their house using an American company who pre-fabricated it for them & shipped it to the UK. The company sent representatives who helped put it together.

Anyway, has anyone any experience of this type of house building in Ireland?

Reason I ask is because I have a bit of land (1.3 acres) and this idea really caught my eye. Was thinking of using Swedish designs though.

I did see the following http://www.scandia-hus.co.uk who are an English company based in UK but with a Swedish sounding name.

Really I just want to see if anyone has an experience of such builds here in Ireland, pro/cons etc. Do local councils look favorably on such *green* builds for examples?

Thanks.

If you decide to import a technology, you have to use all the associated support mechanisms as well.

In the Grand Designs House they needed pinpoint accuracy on the slab, the use of an appropriate crane and carpenters used to using special guns that "shot" nails into the timbers.

What they got were local guys floundering to try to get up to speed and accuracy with the nail guns and that seriously affected their time on site.

Re the design, it was okay-ish, but more suited to upstate New York than an English countryside.

As for using British produced Swedish-type design here, I'd give Kingspan Century a rattle before I'd used a firm from out of the jurisdiction.

The jobs situation is perilous enough as it is.

More importantly the Irish climate differs significantly from either the British or Swedish to possibly require adjustments to some of their details re interstitial condensation, weathering etc

FWIW

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. Will definitely check out all links which were supplied in your replies.

onq - agreed, will check out local before considering further afield.

thanks again everybody!!

Good man - support your local industry, but make sure the product and price is right for you too :)

FWIW

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Back