Anybody purchased Solid Fuels: coal, turf, briquettes, blocks recently?

Jister

Has anybody purchased solid fuel recently, any idea what the prices are at the moment.

Is there value to be had by purchasing in bulk? (1 ton on a pallet etc.)

Re: Anybody purchased coal, turf, briquettes recently?

No, haven't bought any solid fuel recently but my local hardware store / fuel merchant generally advertises any potential price increase in briquettes a few weeks in advance and I always stock up. don't know if it's any real advantage but human nature being what it is I can't resist the the urge to beat a price increase, bit like the impending price increases at the petrol pumps, I suppose.

I am thinking more of a bulk purchase with a couple of neighbours, a pallet of coal each or whatever, we have access to a forklift and the necessary trailer to collect the stuff, I just don't know if there is much of a saving to be made.

what part of the country are you in? Is it a rural area or part of a smoke control zone? I find that good value can be had in rural areas especially in the south from your local dairy cooperative branch. Ring up the branch manager and they might be able to give you a bulk discount.

aj

Get your wee trailer and call down to Littleton on the Cork / Dublin rd and call to the BNM plant and get your "seconds" briquettes loose and in pulk. Cheap. Go early as there does b q's in October & November.

That's Littleton in Co. Tipp I presume. Could always buy a plot of turf and save it yourself, I paid €130 for a half plot which lasts me the year.

Could always buy a plot of turf and save it yourself.

You could of course do this however it is important to factor in the cost of your own labour. Try applying the minimum wage to your own time and the time of family and friends saving turf and it might not be as economical a proposition.

aj

Forgive the stupid question - but is turf a smokeless fuel (i.e. can you burn it in Dublin?) If so, anyone know where you can buy it? If not, anyone know where I can get the smell in bottled format?

I know briquettes are considered smokeless - so wouldn't turf be the same?

For the purposes of the air pollution acts Peat Briquettes, Turf and Timber Blocks are considered to comply with the act.

bought 50 bags of turf down the country recently for 110 euro.

Is it ok to burn smoky coal in a smoke control area so long as the coal is purchased outside the area?

I can't imagine that it's ok to burn smokey coal in a smoke-restricted area. There's no reason why where you bought it should have anything to do with it.

The act bans the marketing, distribution and sale of smokey coal in Smoke Control Areas. It does not ban the burning of such coal. So Bond is correct.

In fairness Mary Harney's leglislation of 1990 has been effective in eliminating the smokey coal induced smogs in Dublin and other east coast towns. Whether it has had any effect on the West Coast Cities and towns is a moot point as the prevailing westerly winds never (or very rarely) allow the thermal inversions which led the the smogs in the east coast.

Theo Goon, I would be interested to know where you bought your turf from? I am burning briquettes at the moment but at that price turf might be cheaper.

Hi there, living in Clonskeagh and bought 12 bales of briqettes and 3 large bags of smokeless coal locally for €70.

What is the best price for briquettes in Dublin city area at present - I buy 3 or 4 a week , usually 3.95 or so.Has anyone any better prices that don't involve going down the country?

We used Gordon's Fuel depot in Harold's Cross back when we had a firelace for coal, briquettes and logs. They were always very competitve and better still deliver to your hearth! You could call for a quote, think they do bulk prices too.

I buy burquettes at my local Texcao and I think they were about 3.20 or 3.40 last year.

I;m buying 4 ton of dry Midlands turf for 500 is this a good price?

Back