What is the procedure for claiming Executors expenses?

Subtitle

I mean expenses like probate, valuations and such like. I paid for them myself and I have kept all the receipts. A beneficiary has signalled that he will be difficult when it comes to reimbursing me. He is is unhappy with the terms of the will and that I was named as executor. I wonder what my options are.

I mean expenses like probate, valuations and such like. I paid for them myself and I have kept all the receipts. A beneficiary has signalled that he will be difficult when it comes to reimbursing me. He is is unhappy with the terms of the will and that I was named as executor. I wonder what my options are.

But if you have control of the funds, what objections, other than muttering, can the beneficiary make?

Or are you saying that there are no funds available? In which case you are asking the beneficiaries to pay monies to you rather than sell assets, that were to go to them, to cover costs?

And if there are no assets, or only limited assets, then presumably you knew about this when you decided to deal with the estate rather than renounce?

Do you want to explain the situation a bit more?

mf

Thanks mf1
Yes there are assets (land) but no funds available. The land is to be carved into sites under the terms of the will. The beneficiaries will not agree to a sale

Sounds like a no brainer. Either (a) the costs of the estate have to come from the estate i.e. the beneficiaries or (b) Something has to be sold.

Do you have a solicitor? If yes, then send out a formal letter clarifying the position.

If no, perhaps you should consider getting one?

mf

Thanks for your input mf1, you have taken a great weight off my mind. I have a solicitor and will get on to sending out a formal letter to all concerned.

Back