BBC3 'Guerilla Homes' & Shipping Container idea..

shulgin1000

I don't know if any of you saw [broken link removed] programme on BBC3 recently (Was on Tues. July 12th i think)?

Anyways, I was amazed with what could be done with a simple shipping container. I assumed that such an idea could only be mediocre in outcome but the living space they came up with was fabulous.

Might just snag one somewhere and make a special project out of converting it. At worst, I could end up with a pretty cool garden shed..lol.

Anyone got any thoughts on the feasability of conversion?

That's interesting. I'm thinking of constructing a small building in my garden at the moment. I didn't see the program, but just looked at the website you posted.

How is it insulated?

Well i have been doing some initial research on this and there are two options:

1. It is possible to snag a used container that is already insulated. The drawback of this is that it makes running wires/plumbing more difficult.

2. You insulate yourself with rockwool. I'm by no means a diy head - but am very interested in this idea and am likely to devote more time into finding out how to make it work.

I have yet to contact the container suppliers listed on the site. Perhaps they can do a lot of the work - although with this, clearly there would be a bigger price tag....but worth investigating.

My research continues...:)

I don't know if I would be brave enough to tackle a container conversion. But my investigations have lead me to the Spacebox. More info

Now I wonder what would be the planning implications of slapping one (or two) of these alongside the gable wall of an end of row semi in a 22 house development? Would these things even need planning in ireland given that they are 'temporary' structures?

Father in law recently converted an old container into a massive garden shed with decking and gazebo attached.
He wired and plumbed it up, attached wooden shingles - you wouldn't know the difference, only I would say it's about 10 times more solid than the Barna yoke in our back garden!

mo3art said:
Father in law recently converted an old container into a massive garden shed with decking and gazebo attached.
He wired and plumbed it up, attached wooden shingles - you wouldn't know the difference, only I would say it's about 10 times more solid than the Barna yoke in our back garden!
Any chance of a pic?
What are 'wooden shingles'?

Some of the container projects I have seen on the net look great but I dont know if I have the skills to do it right without bodging it up!
By comparison, a slightly used container only costs a couple of grand - whereas the finished spacebox costs 20k - before shipping and hooking up the electrics, water, waste, etc.

Dunno how to post links so apologies but this isnt too long anyway. (Originally found out re these in an in-flight magazine and on web-trawl found this). Would probably go and stay there before embarking on a project myself - love visiting Scotland so any excuse.

Cove ParkCubes

£210.00 - £700.00 per Unit per week Unit price inclusive of VAT where applicable
There are 3 'cubes' at Cove Park, each converted from a shipping container. As such they offer compact living space, but are comfortable, light and airy. One end of the cube has been knocked out to give big sliding glass doors out
onto a balcony over a pond with fantastic views over the loch beyond. This is
a very tranquil setting where you really feel part of the landscape.
The living room is studio style with doubled bed, kitchen area and living space
all together and so are ideally suited to individuals or couples.
There is a compact but very modern and efficient shower bathroom also with
a sink and toilet. The double bed is enclosed in its own area yet part of the studio space of the cube. The cost is £30.00 per Cube per night (single occupancy rates available on request). Bookings are for a minimum of two nights. We are happy to negotiate rates for longer stays. A non-refundable deposit of 50% is required to secure any booking.

Facilities: Electric Central Heating, Electric Cooker, Electric Shaver Point, Fridge, Microwave, No Mains Electricity, Property Heated Throughout, 1 Open
Plan Lounge / Kitchen, 1 Toilet, Indoor Drying Facility, Outdoor Drying Facility

Building Type: Detached Property, Isolated Property, Sole Use Of Property

Don't have any photos I'm afraid.
Shingles are (not the chicken pox type) wooden tiles attached to the side, so it effectively looks like a garden shed. Actually I may be wrong though, and it could possibly be T&G boards. He puts the total cost as €3K of kitting it out, wiring it, the decking, pergola over the top, greenhouse attached to the back and planting around it. But this excludes labour as he did it himself, along with various hands drafted in for the heavier stuff.
As he did it in his own time and around his full time job, it took about 2 months to finally get it to a stage where he was happy enough, although he still wants to do some bits and pieces.
The hardest part was getting the container lifted into the garden, and not the foundations.

MO3Art,

How much did the container set him back day 1?? I presume that if you dont structurally weaken the caintainer much that it could be moved again after being modified - i.e. that all works neednt be done at the final resting place.

Re foundations - wouldnt a bit of blockwork be sufficient - surely its not that heavy altogether.

Dunno how to post links so apologies but this isnt too long anyway. (Originally found out re these in an in-flight magazine and on web-trawl found this). Would probably go and stay there before embarking on a project myself - love visiting Scotland so any excuse.

Cove ParkCubes
Thanks for that BetsyOG.
Heres a link to the Cove Park project. Unfortunately, photos are not too detailed.

How much did the container set him back day 1??

From what i've come across, they seem to go for 1-2k. (theres one on sale on boards.ie for 500 euro - collected).

Well he got it for free as a friend was getting rid of one!

But you can get them for around the price mentioned. They can be quite heavy and for peace of mind I would put some manner of foundation in - especially in my fil case as his was going on a slight incline.

Of course you can move them again, but you wouldn't want them to move spontaneously!!!!

Hi mo3art,

Could you ask your father in law where he bought the shingles, I'm looking for a few bundles. Are they cedar? Thanks.

All I know is he got them from a local garden centre/builders providers. They must be based somewhere in the "nort county"

I'm sorry I can't be of anymore help

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone was successful in buying and setting up one of these shipping containers. Would love a Shomera but they're financially out of my depth.

Any other cheap ideas to get teenagers out of the house and into the garden without leaving them out in the cold.

Back