ADVICE NEEDED:Very Bad Repair Carried out to my car by a Northern Ireland Garage
Im seeking some advice here, Its a long story but here we go!!.. I recently began a project on a classic car, I carried out alot of work myself ie, fitted an engine ect, however, I did not feel comfortable fitting the engine loom wiring. I shopped around pricing some local companies to fit the loom for me. All the companies quoted me between €350 - €450 (euros) to carry out the job in question. I was told of 2 companies across the border in northern ireland that were capable of doing the job also, I contacted them both and they both wanted to inspect the car and what the job entailed before quoting me as did all the other companies I received quotes from. I transported the vehicle to 1 of the companies in northern Ireland at an agreed time and date to recieve a quote back in early July. When I arrived the guy informed me that the mechanic was unavailable until the following day and he advised me to leave the car with them in order to allow the mechanic to inspect it the following day when he returned ( I live around 3 hours drive from this company so returning with the car the next day was not really convenient for me ), the guy informed me that he would telephone me the following day with the full quote when the mechanic had inspected the vehicle and the job needing done. However, he did not call me the next day, I persistantly tried to contact them by phone for 2 days and when I got talking to them late on the friday afternoon I was informed that the mechanic had not had time to inspect the car that week and that they were that day closing for a weeks holidays so the car was stuck in their yard for a total of 14 days without the inspection being carried out. The day they reopened I contaced them and was told that it would be inspected late that evening,but the next day the company called me and informed me to my surprise that they had the car " Sorted Out & Running " even though I had not asked for them to do so but merely requested a quotation. The guy on the phone informed me that he forgot he was meant to let me know a price before they started the job but I shouldnt worry because it was sorted in less than a day. I was aware they charged £35 GBP per hour so when I calculated it out, I estimated the work to cost around £380 GBP. However a few days later when I telephoned them to let them know i would be collecting the car the informed me the price was £1180 GBP !!.. I almost droped the phone in shock and asked how that was possible if the had it done in a day, but they denied this and said they had further work done following that day I received their call. I contacted trading standards and informed them of the situation. I was advised that I should pay a percentage by credit card and the balance by cheque and inform them in writing I was paying the bill under protest and intend to pursue the matter through the courts, so I did this. When the vehicle returned it was running very badly. I noticed water leaking from the water pump and some other faults I was not happy with, I contacted the company but they refused to take my calls. I decided I should have another specialist inspect the work carried out and to me horror he deemed the vehicle to be dangerous and unsafe due to bad and dangerous wiring and very poor work. I again tried to contact the company who done the work but was told to f**k o*f. At this stage I was left with no option but to get a solicitor to write to them. I also had an Independant engineer motor assor inspect the vehicle and he agreed the vehicle was unsafe and dangerous due to the work carried out by this company. My solicitor has at this stage writtin numerous letters to the company but in my opinion the company are not actually taking it serious as they are simply replying to my solicitors letters themselves, they have not even bothered getting themselves the advise of a solicitor but instead send sarcastic and smart-assed replies to our letters. I feel its simply becoming merely a War of Letters at this stage.. Im gutted at the way things have turned out and the mess they made of my car, its a classic and worth around €15,000 euro, so its quite a big loss to me. I would be grateful of any advice or any options or your opinions you may have which might help me out. I would also like to know if it went to court, where would it be heard, as I am from the south and they are based in Northern Ireland, my solicitor said it would be heard in my juristiction and not in Northern Ireland but I can also go after them in their own jurisdiction. I personally feel if that be the case, my jurisdiction would be a better option. I look forward to any help or advise you can offer me. Sorry I couldnt cut the story any shorter !!..