Key Post Problems opening ROS Offline Application process

KKaccountant

Dear All,

I have been unable to open the 2008 Form 11 from the Revenue's ROS Offline Application version 6.4. I am running the application on a Windows Vista laptop, and as I thought that it might be a Vista issue, I also ran the application on two other friends' laptops, where the application opened with no problems.

I have also adjusted the default settings on the laptop just in case it was a settings issue and have dealt with Revenue on this matter; although the ROS helpdesk was very supportive (they even sent out the application on CD), they were unable to provide a solution.

Although this may be a technical IT issue, I would be grateful for any suggested solutions from anyone in the Taxation forum (just in case they have come across the same issue),

Thanks in advance for your assistance,

KK accountant

Last edited:
Re: ROS Online Application version 6.4

1) Do I take it that it worked fine on two other VISTA laptops but not on your one?

2) Are you using the digital cert from there also or just running the offline application on its own

I was trying to fix a similar problem for a friend. She said it only started when she upgraded her AVG anti virus software. I was able to download the form so this seemed to indicate the firewall was not an issue.

But when I selected the "New form" option it seems to process for a couple of minutes then fail. Cannot remember the exact error. ROS said it was a firewall issue but still get error with firewall on or off.

Don't know what to do next....

- gm

GM,

Thanks for that - I have AVG as well on my laptop, so it could possibly be a related issue; however, as you noted , the form didn't work when you turn the firewall off. Will try switching off the firewall just in case anyway....

KK

Graham O7,

- the ROS Offline application worked fine on the other two laptops running Vista - at no stage was I prompted for a digital cert in running the application on these two other laptops
- Likewise, in running the Offline Application on my own laptop (downloaded off the Revenue CD), I was not prompted for a digital cert.
Thanks,
KK

I am stuck now as well.

I have downloaded the software ok.
I have the ROS icon on my desk.

When I go to download the 2008 CT form - it says "the form couldn not be installed"

I have disabled AVG but it makes no difference.

I am logging on from a network and we do log on throught a SecureInternet Service which usually asks for authentication when we log on. I am not being asked for it now.

The ROS helpdesk (which answered very promptly) said that this was the problem.
Brendan

OK, sorted. I will try to explain what I did with the assistance of TopSecTechnology who provide the Secure Internet Service

On the Available Forms Screen

Options
Configuration
Proxy Server - enter settings

Brendan

p.s. Why do I get the feeling that I am talking to myself?

I'm running ROS offline 6.4 on a pre-Vista machine with AVG 8.5.412. No problems. Sorry but can't help on the original matter. As they are all VISTA it sounds like it must be a matter specific to some configuration on that one laptop.

Hi Guys

This may seem obvious but this was happening to me a while ago.

I clicked refresh and there was an updated form 11 which I downloaded and it has worked OK for me since. I am running an XP laptop.

Hope this helps

Dbran

Hi there, this isn't quite related to the original post, but thought it might be useful to other accountants. The most recent version of ROS offline contains an error on the Form 11 in relation to the health levy. Where an individual's emoluments are greater than €100,100 the health levy should be charged at 2.5% on other chargeable income, however the upgrade is only applying the 2% rate. The ROS development team are apparently working on it at the moment, but it might be worth double checking any Form 11s that might fall into this level of income. Just a heads up!

Brendan et al,

Thanks for responding, but still no luck. Revenue are apparently having their developers look into this ROS Offline Application matter and should hopefully have a solution shortly. Will give you a heads up when I hear.

KK

Told by ROS support that AVG was the issue so we uninstalled but still no luck. Installed Norton instead and still a problem.

Can open forms CT1 and IT38 but get errors for Form 11 and F1F.

Not sure we can do any more until the ROS technical guys "debug" the issue.

- pm.

Revenue have just taken ROS in-house, it was all outsourced before.

The following provided by ROS solved my problems...
* Go to the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc on your PC
*Here you will find a file called hosts, please open this using Notepad
* It's a small file so just look at the lines at the bottom of the file where the character # doesn't begin on the line. You will probably see just one line which states ::1 localhost
* If this is the case, can you add the following extra line to the file 127.0.0.1 localhost under the above line so it will look something like
::1 localhost
127.0.0.1 localhost
* Save the file and then run the ROS Offline Application. Go to Downloads and get any upgrades to the forms that you want to open.
* Once downloaded, open a return.
Hope this helps.

Thanks a mill, that worked a charm...p.s. make sure you give yourself permission to edit as an administrator (right click on the file and click on properties) or else it won't work. Apologies for the delay in responding. KK

Is that the development team or just an online helpdesk?

They can help with any technical queries (relevant to OP's query). It's not "online", it's telephone technical support. I can't imagine that one can get in contact directly with the development team. As I mentioned, I found them extremely good at sorting out configuration/versioning/browser/java issues.

Back