Where to buy correct hand luggage size for Ryan Air, I'm stumped!

NicolaM

Ryan air now say that hand luggage needs to be 55cm x 40cm x 20cm.
Unfortunately my trusty Samsonite on wheels (which has always been the right size for hand luggage on every other airline ) is 25 cm deep, so presumably won't be allowed.

All the luggage I've been looking on-line seems to be more than 20 cm deep.

I'm looking for an upright case with wheels, and an extendible handle.
I was thinking about popping over to Dundrum today to try and get this.

Has anyone seen anything that matches this description (or can you tell me what hand luggage babg you've been using , please?)

Thanks

Nicola

Re: Where to buy correct hand luggage size for Ryan Air

Saw a lady in Dunnes with the correct measurements (I think for Ryanair/Aer Lingus) and she was buying a small black case. Dunnes reduced some recently but I didn't like the wonky handle on them. I think they were down from €30 to €15. They had a better quality one still at €30 but I'm not sure if the measurements for this were right. Best to bring your measuring tape with you and double check yourself.

Thanks for that Sue Ellen, I might get myself out to Cornellscourt then.
Thirty euros sounds good
:)
Nicola

Hmmm
I just phoned Cornellscourt: the baggage is too deep (26 CM).

Any other place do ye think I could try?
What have other people used?
Thanks all
Nicola

Try Debenhams. They do a range called Tripp and I think they have a small case that is that size.

Yes I recently got some in Debenhams and they were the correct size for Ruinair

Just checked with House of Frazer Dundrum: they have bags the right size...But the two the girl found cost between €199 and €285!
I think not!

Nicola

Thanks a mill for that..Flying on Thursday though, so I've left it a bit late.

There are suitcases 21 cm available in M&S..Would Ryan Air really refuse a 21 cm suitcase (possibly a stupid question!), if it's supposed to be 20 cm?

Has anyone flown recently with them, and how strict are they being with luggage dimensions?

This is a complete pain!

Nicola

I think this is the one I ordered a few months ago following a recommendation on this site

it's slightly higher than the specified height but should be fine, it certainly fitted into the 'slot' that ryanair use before boarding in berlin which everyone was forced to use before even going through security!

Hi
Tags have brought out cabin sized luggage that is the required depth and overall size. Its called MARCH. I have no affiliation with the company.
I have flown with them recently to Barcelona and then Madrid and back to Dublin. Dublin to Barcelona I saw people measure their own luggage and carry on one bag only. Barcelona to Madrid people carried on 2,3,and 4 bags. It was a laugh. My husband asked "how come" and was told by a very nice ticket checker 'This is Spain.' On board he asked again and was told it was the ground staff who were to blame. Madrid to Dublin was the same story. 10.15 pm flight to Dublin did not leave until 10.50 because staff were looking for places to put luggage. I'm sure Michael would not have been impressed but we found it very amusing altogether. I'd say stick to the rules. This is not Spain. lol

For what its worth , on a recent layover at Madrid airport , out of boredom I took it upon myself to measure the dimensions of the blue Ryanair baggage-sizers (the frame thingys that they sometimes ask you to size your bags in) and I discovered that the internal dimensions were 60x46x24 , so there is a considerable tolerance there , on further inspection of the sizers I discovered that they are hollow at the back , therefore cases on wheels should be placed with the wheels and handles to the rear to attain even a few more cms. on your allowance.
Also if your luggage is slightly above the size limits and the material is flexible in any way dont be afraid to give it a gentle push into the sizer. Also these sizers are considerable smaller than the overhead bins on the Ryanair 737's so if if fits the sizer it will easily fit into the overhead bins onboard.

I flew with Ryanair to London a few weeks ago - they did take a walk along the queue to make sure that people had just the one bag (all us ladies had to stuff out handbags into carry on!) but they didn't measure any bags. Mine was just slightly over the size in 1 direction only.
I did see people with much larger bags than mine, one guy had a rucksack like those ones you bring back-packing - it was definitely bigger than the 55x40x20mm.
I found it hard when I was looking to get a wheely one that was the correct size, ended up getting a shoulder bag that was deceptively big, got it in Debenhams. Maybe try tkmaxx too, they had a good selection of wheely ones at good prices a few weeks ago.

Ryan air now say that hand luggage needs to be 55cm x 40cm x 20cm.
Unfortunately my trusty Samsonite on wheels (which has always been the right size for hand luggage on every other airline ) is 25 cm deep, so presumably won't be allowed.

All the luggage I've been looking on-line seems to be more than 20 cm deep.

I'm looking for an upright case with wheels, and an extendible handle.
I was thinking about popping over to Dundrum today to try and get this.

Has anyone seen anything that matches this description (or can you tell me what hand luggage babg you've been using , please?)

Thanks

Nicola

I got one from Samsonite in Kildare and it is the exact measurement for carry on - even though it looks bigger! It has wheels but can also double as a back pack. Very happy with it.

That is EXACTLY what I hoping to hear from people's experience guys!

My soft case Samsonite is 25x55x36..Which should squish into the luggage measurer if I give it a bit of a push.

I think I'll bring it, and hopefully won't have any problems.

(I'll report back if there's any disaster!)

Thanks
:)

Nicola

My soft case Samsonite is 25x55x36..Which should squish into the luggage measurer if I give it a bit of a push.
It should without much difficulty , just remember that if asked to place it in the sizer to turn it around and place the wheels and handle to the rear of the frame.
Good luck....

they only check really big bags. standard cabin cases are ok even if they are a little bigger.

For what its worth , on a recent layover at Madrid airport , out of boredom I took it upon myself to measure the dimensions of the blue Ryanair baggage-sizers (the frame thingys that they sometimes ask you to size your bags in) and I discovered that the internal dimensions were 60x46x24 ,

Excellent use of time. Well done.

My own bag is 2 cm's bigger on one side but fits in fine.

I also watched a Ryanair bag size checker at work out of Dublin a few months back. I noticed that she only picked on brightly coloured cases. So maybe the little black number looks smaller?

Back