Key Post: Getting an approx value of a diamond ring

Status
Not open for further replies.

daithid2000

Hi,

Is there any site out there that one could type in the specs of a diamond ring...ie colour, cut, clarity and size, and what metal the band is, and it would give me an approx value. I know it could not be an exact science, as is would probably have to be properly inspected, but was just looking for a ballpark figure.

Thanks

Re: Getting an approx value of a diamond ring

daithid2000 said:
Hi,

Is there any site out there that one could type in the specs of a diamond ring...ie colour, cut, clarity and size, and what metal the band is, and it would give me an approx value. I know it could not be an exact science, as is would probably have to be properly inspected, but was just looking for a ballpark figure.

Thanks
Dont know of any such site. Value of diamonds is a funny thing. If u are buying, they are very expensive, if you are selling..........................
Read a very interesting p[ost on this site a couple of years ago about the "value", or percieved value, put on diamonds.

That link doesn't seem to work - try this one [broken link removed]

www.helzberg.com

It's a US site so the values might not match the prices you'd pay in Ireland, but it's a handy site.

BTW it'll only help you with the price of the diamond, the value of the diamond is nowhere near the price. As you'll see if you ever try to sell one.

-Rd

daithid2000 said:
How come those rings seem to be about €2000 cheaper than what you would buy them from here? Has anyone used this service?

Because there is a huge mark up on jewellery... If you are looking to buy use a discount/manufacturing jeweller and steer clear of the likes of Applebys. My hubby paid almost half the price quoted by Applebys for the exact same ring by using a discount jewellers.

Kiddo said:
Because there is a huge mark up on jewellery... If you are looking to buy use a discount/manufacturing jeweller and steer clear of the likes of Applebys. My hubby paid almost half the price quoted by Applebys for the exact same ring by using a discount jewellers.
Is there discount/manufacturing jewellers in Ireland, or is the UK the nearest place?

Kiddo said:

I would dispute the "exact same ring" statement.

If you compare high quality stones (taking into account colour, clarity, carat, cut) from Weirs or Appleby's, the price may vary by 10% but no more.

I do not think you will get the same quality of stones from a discount jewellers, who typically only do G/H colour stones, for example. If you are looking for an engagement ring, you may wish to get a higher colour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back