What happened in the 80's give that.....

ninsaga

..... most of the music generated in that time is among the most memorable yet alot of music generated in the 90's & since is probably the most forgettable!

That question occurred to me while just listening to 'Corks Own favourite' 80's hits there this evening..... also added to that having seen Spandau Ballet on Jonathan Ross & Madness on Later with Jools Holland over the weekend.

(needless to say I've had time to think about this given that never turned up this weekend

2 things happened in the 90s...Dance music and boy bands. (at least Take That managed to reform and bring out some 'decent' songs)

Of course, there was also the Nirvana/Pearl Jam/Green Day/Stone Roses/Blur/Oasis/RHCP/etc... to keep us occupied when we could avoid Tony Fenton et al on the radio.

Remember the 80s also had some serious crud (Stock, Aitken & Waterman).

I do wish that Madness would crawl back under whatever rock they were under and leave us with their 80s memories instead of cringing at their current efforts. Suggs voice is no more but yet he keeps inflicting their 1982 image on us.

There's a lot of good music out there nowadays too....it's a pity that very little of it is in the charts !

80s, 70s ...... forget 'em. Bring back the 60's. Yey! Shot Coffee a half a crown, a decent reefer seven bob. The Chosen Few. Grannys. Moses K and the Prophets. The Zhivago. Sigh! That was the mother decade. From Running Bear umba umba to Voodoo Chile. Then things began to slip in the 70s before finally downhilling in the 80s and tanking completely in the 90's.

(needless to say I've had time to think about this given that never turned up this weekend

Ninsaga - old bean! Am beginning to worry about your obsession of choice. This AJ lady seems to be a fun loving girl. Exotic locations yes, but catching something exotic could put paid to your street cred.

Big 80's fan myself too. So much so that I had my 80's perm till 2002.

Oops!

also added to that having seen Spandau Ballet on Jonathan Ross & Madness on Later with Jools Holland over the weekend.

I found that a bit cringy to watch. They looked like a bunch of "past it" men trying to recapture their youth. I used to like Spandau Ballet and love the Kemp brothers as actors but this looked like a pathetic attempt to cash in on the 80's revival. They don't even get on with the lead singer.

The only group to have done a decent job of a come back are Take That...so long as they stay away from the dance routines they can't quite get away with now :D

In the late 80s, yeah....why ?

Because I was a teen in the 90's so would have listened to 90's music growing up and would have danced to it in clubs when I was older. 80's music was a bit naff for me and something my sisters would have loved. Although I have since come to realise that there were some cracking tracks on in that era.

As another poster said about 60's music, money on, they were teen/20's then.

My favourite musical decade is probably the 70s - but I was in single figures age wise then. I have fond memories of the 80s for a variety of reasons - most of them just nostalgic - e.g. I don't much like The Final Countdown but it reminds me of good times and likewise with Aztec Camera's Oblivious for some reason.

But then you did have Duran Duran, The Smiths, The Cure, Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy...

I know the 60's was a ground breaking decade for music but I find that an awful lot of 60's music sounds the same.

The 70's will always be the music decade for me. Glam Rock (Sweet, T. Rex, Slade and the outstanding Mott The Hoople) and Heavy Rock (Thin Lizzy, Status Quo, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple and Nazareth). The low point of the 70's, for me, was marked by Disco Music but the decade was rescued by New Wave/Punk Rock (Undertones, Skids, XTC, Sex Pistols, Boomtown Rats and The Ramones).

Ní bheidh a leithéid ann arís! :)

Back