Firesafety certificate- demand by HSE

greencl

i have a 2 year old apartment given on rent to RAS scheme to a county. it was a show house and in immaculate condition. the county council officer visited as an usual inspection and sent a big list of 'touch up' needed. the list is funny given that tenant is happy and apartment is new.

what i need on this forum is help, am i being bullied by bureacracy and how do i tackle, i was asked to submit fire safety certificate, i am surprised that the same county council issued to developer who built that apartment complex in 2007, it is a condition under builder control act 1997 that no builder will be given planning permission to build apartments/houses with out firesafety certificate application and issuance of the same after inspection. so why is county council officer asking me the same? can't he/she procure it directly from their own planning approval records.?

i am just worried that they would stop paying rents, how should i proceed and what i should write to them

Sorry but you've lost me.

There is a RAS tenant in the apartment and the rent is being paid.

A council official wants a fire safety certificate for the apartment (or the block?)

If the council (?) pays the tenant's RA, where does the HSE enter the picture?

can't he/she procure it directly from their own planning approval records.?

Of course not, Haven't you heard of red tap????

Have you already been approved for RAS or are you in the process & tenant is getting rent supplement?

I can't offer too much advice, except I looked into the RAS scheme as I had a suitable tenant who was in the process of being approved (or so they thought!). So I called my local council to ask some questions. They threw up so much red tape & the fact they would pay €150 less than the rent I was asking (which was already €100 less than similar properties in the area), that I said, thanks but no thanks. She claimed they were inundated with suitable properties they could drop the amount being paid. It might make sense for a developer who has 10+ properties they can't sell & need to rent asap, but for a one off, I reckon it's not viable.

I also got the impression (which is why I'm asking if there is already a RAS tenant there) that they can come out. inspect & insist on what ever repairs & improvements they want.

They don't even pay a deposit as they reckon the fact they will guarentee 5 years rent will cover the landlord.

Long & short of it - it wasn't for me

OP is this fire safety certificate linked to the fact that it's under the RAS scheme. Maybe it's one of the rules for being allowed rent under this scheme. Did you get a list of RAS rules if such a thing exists?

I'm intrigued that they want you to touch up a brand new apartment. Do civil servants have nothing better to do, I'd understand if it was a dilapidated building. It would be very helpful to other landlords on here if you could list what these items were please.

I work in a property related area and I've always thought some of the regulations and health and safety requirements were ridiculous and over the top especially when you consider that some public buildings such as schools and hospitals are in a disgraceful condition.

Back