house buying with boyfriend, need legal advice

J

jenr1009

Me and my boyfriend are currently in the process of buying a house. Anyone have any ideas on how we go about making sure we are both secure if something were to happen to the relationship?

Contracts?
Who do we talk to?

Appreciate the info.

Re: >> Buying a house with a friend - draft agreement

After an agreement is arranged between me and my boyfriend, are we able to file it with our deed or can we put the agreement in the mortgage language? We have an agreement on how to split everything if something were to happen but we just don't know what to do with the agreement after it's drawn up. Do we each just keep a copy and refer to it if the relationship should terminate and abide by what the agreement says? Appreciate any help.

This agreement has nothing to do with the mortgage agreement or other legal documentation relating to the purchase. Your solicitor(s) should be able to advise you on the best way to make this formal. I don't think that you "lodge" it anywhere. It is simply a contract between two individuals.

Would you suggest getting the agreement notorized to make it an "Offcial Doculment"?

I didn't think that there was any concept of notarisation in Ireland. As far as I know once the agreement is clearly and fairly worded and is signed (and witnessed?) appropriately it is legally binding without having to be lodged, registered or notarised. But I'm not a lawyer so you should be guided by your own solicitor on stuff like this.

Someone I know sorted this out with the solicitor who acted for them when they bought the house. Basically, A put in most of the deposit for the house. The solicitor drew up some agreement that if they split up within X amount of time (they chose the time frame) that A's deposit was protected, so to speak.

That's the sort of stuff covered by the draft legal agreement that I linked to earlier. Of course it makes sense to get some professional legal advice on stuff like this rather than just assuming that some draft agreement on a site like this is necessary and sufficient. In short - talk to your solicitor(s).

Back